AEW Revolution 2021

WeeAl

• Paid Members

The thing has me so wound up I'm going to Fantasy Book Dynamite. 

Wednesday night, you know what that means yada yada.

Show opens backstage with Eddie Kingston, Butcher, Blade and Bunny. Kingston is pacing back and forward livid that he was made a fool out of, BB&B are trying to stop him going to the ring. He storms past them.

Eddie Kingston makes his way to the ring, says him and Mox went to the limit recently and he's still not over losing, but he looked past all that when Mox was handcuffed in the middle of an exploding ring. Says he couldn't stand by and watch as someone else took out Mox. He got in the ring, laid on Mox and doesn't even remember the bombs going off because he was piss drunk. Turns out Omega made a dud and made him and Mox look like idiots. He calls out Omega.

Instead Jon Moxley comes out. He's reeling too. Says he didn't need help, didn't want help, wanted to be a man and go out alone in a blaze of glory but Omega robbed him of that. Calls out Omega as well. Him and EK get into a bit of a shoving match over who gets Omega.

Don Callis, Kenny Omega and The Good Brothers appear on the Tron and say making them look stupid was just a byproduct of a few miscalculations, but they didn't miscalculate this time and now it's even better because they get to take out EK too. Mox throws EK out of the ring. They press a big comical red button and just fucking redo the ring explosion properly. Tape this segment if you have to. 

Mox and EK get blasted. Mox gets it way worse. Refs, Cody, Bucks, Butcher, Blade, etc all run down and do a whole stretcher job. Butcher and Blade vs Good Brothers main events. Write Mox out completely, but EK runs out during the main and cleans house on Omega and Good Brothers. Bandage fuck out of his face or whatever. 

I mean, it's shit and that's why I never fantasy book but a redo of the explosion and making EK not look shit is top priority.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

I think I would have preferred it if they had swapped Christian and Big Shows' debuts around.

Definitely. Big Show coming out would have genuinely met expectations of a big new signing.

• Paid Members

I can’t even bear to think about how perfect a charred Eddie Kingston feuding with Kenny Omega after Moxley’s demise could have been. As others have said, put that match in the stadium and spend the big bucks for proper explosions and that would have been remembered as an all-time great angle. The heat and the drama was absolutely spot on until the sparklers went off. It’s good that they have a guy like Lance Archer to immediately slot into that position though. Just have Kingston open Dynamite getting out of the shower and pretend the Pay Per View never happened.

I agree that Big Money Matt is far superior to everything else he’s done in AEW thus far but Future World Champion Adam Page should not be going fifteen minutes with him. The exact same result could’ve been achieved in five minutes or less. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, but then for Cage to have come out and said "I'm not the only one here, prepare for a BIG surprise this Sunday" for Show to turn up and announce that he's going to be a commentator would probably have been shit on as well. They'd brought Cage in instead of Ethan Page as the final man in that ladder match and talked him up as "this Sunday the sixth man in the ladder match is somebody with a lot of experience of important ladder matches" and he'd come out and done the same stuff as Ethan Page did it would have been likely been received a lot better. There would have been some speculation about it being Jeff Hardy or one of the Dudleys, but Christian Cage would have been acceptable. Then Ethan Page can turn up on an episode of Dynamite and go 25 minutes across two commercial breaks with Cody before ending up feuding with Ziggler's brother on Dark (or, if he's lucky, elevation). They should have gone after Josh Alexander. 

• Paid Members

Christian Cage and Hangman Page Vs Ethan Page and Brian Cage in a steel cage with special referee Dallas Page? 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

They really should call up New Japan and beg for someone to use for the next couple of months that they can slot straight into the main event to feud with Omega. 

Their roster is already bloated. They don’t need to bring in people that are lesser stars than people they already have. They need to make their own guys.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Christian Cage and Hangman Page Vs Ethan Page and Brian Cage in a steel cage with special referee Dallas Page? 

And special enforcer Nick Gage

• Paid Members

Having seen the "big" explosion at the end of the Omega vs. Moxley match...

NdoIm7.gif

• Paid Members

I made the mistake of listening to Moxley’s Observer Radio interview from the other week today, after the match, which just made it even worse. He sounds super motivated, saying he’s no longer in the business of under-delivering. Talking about how frustrating it used to be to build up Hell in a Cell matches when everyone always knew it would just be the same sanitised spots they always do. This was his chance to actually deliver on the violence he promised. Poor bastard.

Do we think TNT would air a rematch? The more I try and come up with a make-good, the more I think they’re probably best just running it back on Dynamite, pre-recording it in the stadium to ensure it actually works properly this time. Have Moxley and Kingston open the show talking about how humiliated and embarrassed they felt. It rekindled their bond but it made them look like idiots. Have them challenge Kenny and the Good Brothers to a proper Exploding Death Match, where veterans like Eddie and Mox set the bombs up. Spend at least six million dollars filling the entire stadium with fire and smoke.

Edited by Supremo

Part of me thinks serves them right for the way they've relied on whacky gimmick matches, stupid stipulations and "huge, huge surprises" to mask their poor, ineffective storytelling. Then I see that gif of Eddie Kingston hugging Moxley as sparklers go off and I think you poor, poor bastard. Utterly hilarious image and desperately sad at the same time. A rematch is the last thing they need. Just forget it ever happened. Keep it simple stupid. The PPV's backlash and NXT moving nights should be an excuse for Tony to tighten shit up. Get the basics right first and cool it with the desperation booking mate. 

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

To be fair, it seems to be the execution that's the issue here far more than the storytelling. That's generally been pretty effective, and something they've been mostly praised for.

Week to week, pretty much every match on here had some fair build. Plenty going on in each one, and a fair few had decent heat going in. For every Young Bucks/Cody mess, they've got a Hangman/Dark Order, Mox/Omega, Inner Circle, Team Taz/Sting & Darby... everyone's there for a reason. It was one thing that struck me at the end of the Tag Battle Royale match - there wasn't a bad option in the final half-dozen or so. 

Not saying they can't tighten things up, and they certainly need to keep an eye on production, because last night was all over the shop, but their storytelling has been pretty strong for the most part.

Edited by Chris B