AEW Revolution 2021

WeeAl

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Scorpio Sky is a bit shit though so that shouldn't be a problem.

Well, even more shit.

2 minutes ago, Nick James said:

The 'Brass Ring' ladder match has surely got to be their worst dig at WWE yet and just made for a really awkward visual. 

Presumably they didn't want to use a clipboard with a contract because there would have been comparisons to TNA even before Christian came out to his old music, and they couldn't use a briefcase because they'd have been accused of ripping off WWE. It was a case of them trying to be too clever and it biting them in the arse.

It might have been that I'd had one too many G&Ts last night but I had tears in my eyes as Kingston was heading to the ring for what should have been the perfect finish to a great match and solid show overall... and then those fireworks went off and I was left as deflated as I've ever been watching wrestling, including every single TNA PPV up until 2012. Such a shame. There's a small part of me that wishes the entire match was bad because it being as great as it was, it left even more of a bad taste in my mouth when the eventual let down happened. Gutted for everybody involved tbh.

With that said, I mostly enjoyed the show up until that point and, unlike some, don't see this as the death knell for AEW nor do I see my fandom waning as long as they keep up the quality of shows they've put on up until now.

On the bright side, they can't possible put on a worse ending to a show in the future, can they??

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Presumably they didn't want to use a clipboard with a contract because there would have been comparisons to TNA even before Christian came out to his old music, and they couldn't use a briefcase because they'd have been accused of ripping off WWE. It was a case of them trying to be too clever and it biting them in the arse.

In that case, they shouldn't be doing a ladder match if there is nothing to climb a ladder for other than an oversized Cheerio. Mind you, their usual go to is a Battle Royale which was already on the show. I'll be happy if I never see a Battle Royale or a Ladder Match on either AEW or NXT ever again. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

Ugh, I love Penta but I'd be happy if I never heard Zero Miedo ever again. I wish I could mute it or something.

Penta is great but he picked up a shit load of bad habits from working the US indies. One of then is doing the hand gesture a million times every match. When he's in a match with a proper story to it he's fantastic but in something meaningless like that ladder match he just lazily walks through his spots (they are always the same spots too) and does the hand thing. 

He seems a bit lost in the shuffle at the moment which is annoying as he could be having some great feuds. I'd love to see him against MJF, Eddie Kingston, Darby, Jungle Boy, any of Team Taz just off the top of my head.

Edited by LaGoosh

Ladder matches are terrible these days. The spots have grown so big, that you can’t avoid those moments where people to need to set the spot up awkwardly.

Also, in the multi-man matches there’s lots of people waiting for their spot.

It’s just all contrived nonsense.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Nick James said:

In that case, they shouldn't be doing a latter match if there is nothing to climb a ladder for other than an oversized Cheerio. Mind you, their usual go to is a Battle Royale which was already on the show. I'll be happy if I never see a Battle Royale or a Ladder Match on either AEW or NXT ever again. 

I wouldn't have minded if they'd done a triple threat oa four way (even an elimination type affair) to determine the number one contender and then in a couple of weeks on their Sprin Breakout or whatever the next Dynamite special is have a single one on one ladder match for the TNT title. Multi person ladder matches are played out and overdone. I can't remember the last time I saw a regular lader match. It could be a refreshing change.

@LaGooshsomebody compared Penta in that ladder match to playing Smackdown where you keep doing your taunt to build your finisher up.

14 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I had that 'Uh-oh' feeling when I saw the diagram and realised they were doing it in Daily's Place with the regular set up.

AEW have an entire empty stadium available right next door that they clearly don't mind using. Spend a bit of money, put the ring in the middle of the stadium, buy some explosives that will send massive mushroom clouds flying into the sky like FMW did or just don't do it. 

Shambles.

Great idea. Keep the crowd out and that would have given them so much more flexibility. 

Would have looked more dramatic too and allowed them to reshoot if necessary too.

Bryan Alvarez mentioned they should have turned the lights off for the “ detonation “ which was another good idea.

They should have loaded up with smoke bombs, flash paper, released dust/small rubble ,played a sound over the PA in the stadium, done a shake with the hard camera. The ring should have collapsed as a few people have mentioned. 
Show should have gone off the air with no commentary then with the medics rushing in.

There are loads of things they should have done better .

Now , what do they do on Dynamite (ironically named at this point) , i would say barely acknowledge it, move on and never do it again. 

Edited by RancidPunx

3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Fun fact: Darby Allin directed the Street Fight. Guys got talent. The first cinematic match that actually genuinely looked cinematic.

Wow , fair play to him. 

It was a bit darkly lit in places but overall it looked great and was gripping . 

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Nick James said:

The 'Brass Ring' ladder match has surely got to be their worst dig at WWE yet and just made for a really awkward visual. 

It doesn't look like it's an unusual phrase in the US - it's just not very widely used here. It's not hyper-specific to McMahon or wrestling, and it's not like Vince's aversion to sneezing.

As far as 'A big opportunity' match, especially if it's aimed at getting lesser talent over, it's not a bad name for it at all. I think most people watching this show, if they're not aware of Vince's usage of it, won't be wondering what it's all about. Sure, it's a dig, but it's not one which I'd avoid using the name over either.

My biggest issue with the brass ring is that, for some reason, the perspective seemed really off. It kept looking on-screen like it was much closer to the camera for some reason, nowhere near people when they were actually right below it.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Chris B said:

My biggest issue with the brass ring is that, for some reason, the perspective seemed really off. It kept looking on-screen like it was much closer to the camera for some reason, nowhere near people when they were actually right below it.

thesearesmallthosearefaraway.gif

EDIT: Damn you, @Nick James!

Edited by Carbomb