AEW Revolution 2021

WeeAl

1 minute ago, The King Of Swing said:

Not 100% sure but I think Onita eventually did a watered down version of the match.

No idea if it was for ECW or another indie and I'm fairly certain that it didn't make TV. Happy to be corrected though. 

I know he had an exploding barbed wire bat match with Matt Tremont in CZW, it was shit.

• Paid Members

So I take it Tony Khan is going by WWE's Hall of Fame criteria rather than any of the others then? Jesus wept. It's criminal that they signed Christian and thought that he was worthy of this type of hype. Absolutely pissing away goodwill. 

Ethan Page? Haven't a clue. Haven't heard what he was known for, or what he looked like. I was expecting someone of that level of star in this spot, but that it would be someone who looked to be worth grooming or building for the future. He didn't show me that here. It would have been done though if not for the other two let downs on the show. 

That fucking finish. One of the absolute worst endings I've ever seen to anything. Not talking just wrestling here. The mid match explosions were twice as impressive as the ending. The whole match up to that point built to it brilliantly too. When Kingston came out I was delighted, it made so much sense. Then. . . That happened. There's no way to save this other than to forget it ever happened, have Moxley say he's choosing to step away for Paternity leave rather than not being able to continue, and just move Omega into something else entirely. 

Two other things annoying me about AEW at the moment are the miscasting of characters. Cody and The Young Bucks in particular. The Young Bucks come accross as genuinely unlikeable, smarmy pricks. They should be heels. Aligning with Omega and the useless Good Brothers permanently. Cody should be a babyface, calling them out for being traitors to Page and himself. Or else let him be a heel and lead the new Horsemen. But stop with this tweener shite. That spot in the ladder match wasn't valiant baby, it was opportunistic heel. Awful. 

The Street Fight was the best thing on the show, and better than it could have been. Adam Page Vs Matt Hardy was absolutely fine and a nice stop gap feud for Page. A ten man on the next stop gap Dynamite show should be the blow off to that with Page and The Dark Order Vs Hardy, Private Party and TH2. 

Scorpio Sky winning the ladder match . . .only ok if it's for a one week build to a main event that he loses. If he wins then I haven't a fucking notion what they are at. 

I hope Big Show chokeslams Christian on the first episode of that Elevation show, blaming him for making him look bad. 

• Paid Members

I'm still laughing. Poor guys. It might have looked significantly better if the fireworks all went off at the same time - one at a time made it even worse.

I hadn't watched the pre-show, so it was a lovely surprise having Maki Itoh coming out and just doing nothing but biting Ryo's hand with a manic look on her face.

For those saying she should be booked as a face, that would be death - she's a completely delusional heel who regularly loses. It's why people love her.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

And of course they don't bother getting a close up. 

They also didn't comment on Ryo doing the full bow to Shida at the end, which was a shame.

It wasn't a great night for AEW overall, mainly from a production point of view. They've tried to improve on stuff before, so hopefully this was a wake-up call. 

The few minutes of confusion after the 'explosion' was understandable. I think, unfortunately, the TV angle on the explosion was particularly bad - someone in the arena said it sounded impressive, so with the smoke, it might not have been clear how bad it looked on TV, and they were thinking they could salvage it. 

Kingston will be fine. He can promo about not knowing what he was going into, and the adrenaline or whatever led to him passing out and being confused. If anyone can salvage that in a promo, it's him.

6 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The few minutes of confusion after the 'explosion' was understandable. I think, unfortunately, the TV angle on the explosion was particularly bad - someone in the arena said it sounded impressive, so with the smoke, it might not have been clear how bad it looked on TV, and they were thinking they could salvage it. 

This is what I don't get really. Someone's got to be monitoring the TV feed, right? Someone's watching what the viewers are watching and presumably saw how absolutely shit it is?

And yet they go ahead with the Kingston stuff. They go ahead with the commentators. Actually don't the commentators themselves watch the TV version?

There must have been time to get in someone's ear and call an audible and get out of that fucking mess.

Remember years back when fans demanded refunds from the WWE because someone not announced to be in a Rumble wasn't in the Rumble? 

AEW sold a show on a huge star appearing and an exploding ring and gave them Christian and a bottom burp. 

Some of the camera decisions were a little wacky given the FMW influenced nature of everything going on. When they did that spot outside to the floor with the explosion they shot it so you could see exactly what the fuck was going on, pyro going off a few feet away with minimal danger. I've seen that in a million FMW tapes and it's clearly what they're doing but they have the sense to shoot it looking in toward the explosion so you basically aren't zooming in on Paul Daniels hands.

Yeah that last explosion, fuck me. Takes nerve to brush it off after charging for a PPV as it was supposed to be shit, what do you want etc

Edited by Cannibal Man

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

This is what I don't get really. Someone's got to be monitoring the TV feed, right? Someone's watching what the viewers are watching and presumably saw how absolutely shit it is?

And yet they go ahead with the Kingston stuff. They go ahead with the commentators. Actually don't the commentators themselves watch the TV version?

There must have been time to get in someone's ear and call an audible and get out of that fucking mess.

The commentators are *right* there. If you're right there and expecting a big explosion, you'll probably look at it rather than the monitor.

On top of that, there's always the question of who makes the call. Especially as they didn't have a Plan B (suggesting they were expecting something a bit better). But what audible do you call? Ideally, have Omega and Callis laugh about fooling everyone, but THAT off-the-cuff? Moxley's promo was great, but that's about as fast as they could move.

Just dawned on me, that was the Barbed Wire Death Match equivalent of Spinal Tap's Stonehenge set.

Tap GIF

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I enjoyed the show, everything up until the bomb was good to very good, but you can’t defend that end.

On that comment and Jazzys I'll maybe have a look tomorrow night then when I've got some time. Wanna see the Itoh match anyhow.

It's a shame Eddie didn't do a Terry Funk and just get up and look around the arena like "what the fuck was that?!". Is this a case of a wrestler being too professional? But what can you realistically do in that situation, this isn't an outlaw show like those IWA-Japan shows were, I feel for Eddie more than anyone there.