AEW Revolution 2021

WeeAl

8 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Not yet. Double Or Nothing was their first show so that's probably the best candidate. Crap name though.

I would prefer they go this route. It really frustrates me when a company just goes, "it's this one". There should be a genuine reason that's the big show like WrestleMania has other than because the company said so. Bound for Glory is a prime example. Why not make it Slammiversary? Would have made far more sense and I probably seen more name value in that.

31 minutes ago, FUM said:

I would prefer they go this route. It really frustrates me when a company just goes, "it's this one". There should be a genuine reason that's the big show like WrestleMania has other than because the company said so. Bound for Glory is a prime example. Why not make it Slammiversary? Would have made far more sense and I probably seen more name value in that.

Starrcade is probably another good example.

Historical significance goes a lot further than just picking an event and saying it's our Wrestlemania. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FUM said:

2 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Starrcade is probably another good example.

Historical significance goes a lot further than just picking an event and saying it's our Wrestlemania. 

I've always understood it that companies' biggest shows aren't so because they say so, but because they make it so, i.e. making them bigger events than the others, extravaganzas with stacked cards, celeb appearances, pyro, special sets, etc. in a major venue. That's what VKM did with Wrestlemania.

23 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I've always understood it that companies' biggest shows aren't so because they say so, but because they make it so, i.e. making them bigger events than the others, extravaganzas with stacked cards, celeb appearances, pyro, special sets, etc. in a major venue. That's what VKM did with Wrestlemania.

WrestleMania was the first of it's kind in the entire business, that's why it became the flagship. Other companies just picking a PPV and going, "it's our SuperBowl because we're making it so" has no historical significance for me. Building up a show over a number of years until it has the significance to go this is our big event or making it your big event because it was your first show has far more weight for me than just deciding you'll make a random show it.

I use TNA as my prime example as that's where it frustrated me. Slammiversary was their anniversary show, they done anniversary shows during the weekly PPV era so it just made sense and had a bit of a historical pull to it. I'd even have accepted Lockdown as TNA's big event as it was different with the all cage gimmick making it the first of it's kind or Victory Road seeing as it was the first PPV once they switched from the weekly shows but to just fart a random event out in October and tell us "this is the top dog" was a bit meh and I never considered it to have any more value than the rest of their PPV's.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, FUM said:

WrestleMania was the first of it's kind in the entire business, that's why it became the flagship. Other companies just picking a PPV and going, "it's our SuperBowl because we're making it so" has no historical significance for me. Building up a show over a number of years until it has the significance to go this is our big event or making it your big event because it was your first show has far more weight for me than just deciding you'll make a random show it.

Starrcade was the first, surely? First one in 1983.

I get what you're saying, and if it doesn't carry weight for you, absolutely fair enough. For me, the moment a promotion announces a show as their big one, and they back that up by booking it to be their biggest show to date, it's got weight. 

6 hours ago, FUM said:

I use TNA as my prime example as that's where it frustrated me. Slammiversary was their anniversary show, they done anniversary shows during the weekly PPV era so it just made sense and had a bit of a historical pull to it. I'd even have accepted Lockdown as TNA's big event as it was different with the all cage gimmick making it the first of it's kind or Victory Road seeing as it was the first PPV once they switched from the weekly shows but to just fart a random event out in October and tell us "this is the top dog" was a bit meh and I never considered it to have any more value than the rest of their PPV's.

In fairness, TNA around that time was very good at talking about things, but never really suiting their actions to their words. I do remember Slammiversary feeling like much more of a big deal, and a big part of that was how much effort they seemed to put into presentation of it. It's almost like they felt that they'd done all the work they needed to by designating BFG as the big one, and therefore people would be invested the moment they said "Bound For Glory". 

I’d say having mania being the clear biggest show has harmed the rest of wwe’s ppvs as you know what matters happens in March/April. Aew keeping all 4 as being equally likely to have moments that matter works better for me 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 3/15/2021 at 5:45 PM, Louch said:

I’d say having mania being the clear biggest show has harmed the rest of wwe’s ppvs as you know what matters happens in March/April.

Or conversely over the years they still manage to bank a load of revenue for Mania and get people watching the Rumble and beyond even when general interest has dipped and people can’t be bothered watching the PPV 12 months a year. Rather than lose viewers they wouldn’t have for the rest of the year because what matters happens in Mania season, I think they get back a lot of viewers they wouldn’t any other time of the year because what happens in Mania season matters. As a lapsed/casual fan, I’m much happier with 2 1/2 PPVs a year where I know it will worth watching (Rumble, Chambers and the bits of the Mania marathon that have piqued my interest) than 12 months of averaged out mediocrity where the tired roster just has, you know, matches from month to month without any long term build or focus spanning the company.