AEW Revolution 2021

WeeAl

The main event is what everybody's talking about and that was the general idea going in. Unfortunately it's for all the wrong reasons. There's been enough said about it though so I won't go over it. Or try and work out how they overcome the obvious fuck up. 

The rest of the show was rather enjoyable - minus the signing of Christian. When it was rumoured on here that it was him, it was underwhelming and then when it turned out to be him it was even more of a let down. Solely based on the hype. I don't know who could of lived up to the hype but Christian certainly wasn't that man.

Bucks v Jericho/MJF was solid. The Inner Circle implosion originally felt rushed but it's now felt like it's dragged on far too long. The Bucks still remain the best babyface wrestlers but the most unlikeable people. I think that match should of come after the tag team battle royal though.

Next up was the battle royal and again another enjoyable match with plenty going on. Bear Country need a good push because they're so unlike the rest of their division. They're not flashy, high flying, spot monkeys. They're two big bastard bruisers. Gunn Club are so easy to hate. QT Marshall doing a Drew Carey impression was as enjoyable as anything he's done since he signed. Dark Order still can't get a win but it doesn't seem to affect them or their popularity. Jungle Boy is really being positioned as a singles star now, which will be more than enjoyable. And Death Triangle are every bit as good as you'd imagine them to be with Pac and Fenix being their representatives.

Women's match was fine. I don't particularly enjoy women's wrestling but the match was watchable.

Miro/Kip v Cassidy/Taylor was again fine. Miro will probably kill Kip before the next pay-per-view and move onto something more worthy in the summer or they'll keep them teaming up for a while longer against Jurassic Express. Miro v Luchachurus, Kip v Jungle Boy, Penelope v Marko. The appeal of Orange Cassidy has certainly fell off a cliff since his win over Jericho though.

Hangman and Hardy put on a match much better than we expected. And along with the feel good moment at the end with Dark Order, it just seemed to be a really all round good match. A multi-man blow-off match still seems in the cards somewhere but I think we're starting to see the conclusion of this feud. Page will then feud with somebody else, probably still a bit too early for the eventual Omega feud and Hardy will move onto something new, hopefully more as a manager than a singles wrestler.

The ladder match seems to of taken a lot of stick and rightfully so. It was just all over the place. But during the Sting/Darby/Cage/Starks match Taz did make reference to Scorpio Sky being his "man/boy/mate" (can't remember what term he actually used) so maybe we're getting Scorpio Sky joining Team Taz, which will lead to another chapter in the never ending Taz/Darby storyline with Taz or his boys helping Sky defeat Darby. Otherwise he just feels like the worst choice of the six to win that ladder match. Ethan Page I have no idea who he is but if his involvement was such a big deal, surely he should of won the thing. Cody was Cody and until they realise that it's becoming a problem, they'll continue to allow Cody to be Cody. Archer is great but never seems to get the big win. Penta is great but the reference to SmackDown taunts to get your finisher was spot on. And Max Caster is outstanding on the mic. I wonder if it's Harry and Megs who he takes a pop at tonight on Dynamite. 

Darby & Sting v Team Taz was insanely good. Fair play to everybody involved, except for the Hoodlum Warriors or whatever they were called who just disappeared after Cage tossed two or three of them around. The other ten or fifteen of them just vanished. It wouldn't have made much sense storyline wise but when Hobbs and Hook start getting involved, one of those hoodlums could have come in to save the day and revealed themselves to be Christian. It might have made his signing a bit more enjoyable than what they delivered. But the story of Taz and Darby has gone on too long so if this is the end of it then they truly delivered. Fantastic match.

And then the main event. Bell to bell it was outstanding. And I'll just leave it at that, which hopefully AEW do as well. Just pretend nothing else happened after the ref counted three and Kenny retained the title because reliving what did happen will only sour what was an otherwise quality show.

• Paid Members

just a note to say that this was my first time seeing Colton Gunn, and I find it unsettling how Billy Gunn has managed to have two kids that look exactly like him at different stages of his career. Fully expecting a third one to show up dressed like a cowboy now.

29 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

just a note to say that this was my first time seeing Colton Gunn, and I find it unsettling how Billy Gunn has managed to have two kids that look exactly like him at different stages of his career. Fully expecting a third one to show up dressed like a cowboy now.

And yet both half his size. It's like he unfuses, like Station in Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey, into his constituent assholes.

• Paid Members

They shouldn't bother trying to make excuses for it, just focus on the storyline that Eddie came out to save Mox and totally ignore the unconscious sell. There's no need for them to show that part of the footage again and there will still be a portion of their TV audience that won't have seen it anyway. They still need to do another angle to write Mox out if that was the intention, so I'd prefer they focussed their collective energy on making sure that absolutely hits the spot, rather than trying to make chicken salad from the PPV's chicken shit.

• Paid Members

They don't even need to. The majority of AEW's fans probably know about he and Renee having a baby, they could have not done the exploding ring and just say he was injured when he was hit by an exploding baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire. Would have been better in the long run. I just hope they're not going to try and have him run over or something to try and take him off TV now. Heck just have him say the Club may have won the battle, but not the war and disappear for a few weeks. Have Kingston say he's still in touch with him, and that he'll be back when everything's ready, then you can have a huge 6 man bloodbath somewhere down the line with Mox, Kingston and somebody else against Kenny and the brothers.

Just have a hyped up, superhero Kingston come out and beat the piss out of a gloating Omega. 

Then cut a promo saying how he's going to fuck up Omega and the Good Brothers.

Hell I'd actually be fine with throwing Butcher and Blade into the mix to feud with the Good Brothers for a few weeks.

Rather that than the Smug Bucks tbh. 

• Paid Members

am I making it up, or did they tease a Butcher & The Blade vs. Bear Country match? That would be class, and I'd like to see that keep Butcher & Blade busy while Kingston goes it alone - he has more value going up against Omega and his cronies alone than he would with an equal amount of back-up. Maybe even make a point of it being his fight and not theirs, refusing to let them help him, even if it gets him battered.

Nothing to add except to add to the wholesome moment that was Page going over and the sheer joy on the Dark Order's faces. No idea what Rick Knox was up to faffing around post-bell though. 
Ethan Page...meh on a vanilla level. Just another body, nothing special to add in my opinion. Christian being the HoF level signing makes sense in a roundabout way but where does he fit? Surely he isn't going to be destroying himself in weekly 20min matches against the midcard? Feels like a spite signing, getting one over on ol' Vince.

If tonight they play the "Omega planned the sparklers" card, rather than try to gaslight their way out of it; Kingston is a fine proxy while Mox goes and does the daddy thing. Open with a Kingston promo and be done with the whole debacle.

3 minutes ago, bigfoote said:

Christian being the HoF level signing makes sense in a roundabout way but where does he fit? Surely he isn't going to be destroying himself in weekly 20min matches against the midcard? Feels like a spite signing, getting one over on ol' Vince.

If they were going to do that, wouldn't they sign someone Vince actually gives a fuck about?

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

am I making it up, or did they tease a Butcher & The Blade vs. Bear Country match? That would be class, and I'd like to see that keep Butcher & Blade busy while Kingston goes it alone - he has more value going up against Omega and his cronies alone than he would with an equal amount of back-up. Maybe even make a point of it being his fight and not theirs, refusing to let them help him, even if it gets him battered.

One of them speared Butcher through a table on Dynamite a few weeks ago. B&B then attacked them on Dark the next week so hopefully. I want to see them blokes smash eachother up.

I just rewatched the streetfight and it's really a great job they did with that! Saw lots that I missed the first time and as much as I'm not a fan of cinematic wrestling it just works so well for Sting. I've always been a little stinger so I'm mega happy that he has changed the narrative on how he goes out from wrestling. Shame it's getting so little attention. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, NavigatorFan said:

I just rewatched the streetfight and it's really a great job they did with that! Saw lots that I missed the first time and as much as I'm not a fan of cinematic wrestling it just works so well for Sting. I've always been a little stinger so I'm mega happy that he has changed the narrative on how he goes out from wrestling. Shame it's getting so little attention. 

Given how cinematic his gimmick originally was, and Goldust's, it's intriguing that this kind of match didn't take off in the 90s like it has in the modern era. Those two would've been perfect for it.

1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

Given how cinematic his gimmick originally was, and Goldust's, it's intriguing that this kind of match didn't take off in the 90s like it has in the modern era. Those two would've been perfect for it.

I fucking love Goldie vs Piper, I would have loved to have seen more of that. The OJ homage may have been a little distasteful.. but I have to say I dig it.