AEW Revolution 2021

WeeAl

AEW should probably feel lucky that they only average about 100k buys. Can you imagine if half of their audience actually bought that show. 

Hopefully everyone involved eats a little humble pie after this mess and moves on a bit wiser. Though I'm not banking on it, especially if Meltzer continues sucking them off. 

Cody really needs to go away and return as a full blown heel.

Edited by The King Of Swing

Why didn't they even just pre-record this somewhere else with the explanation that it was so dangerous they couldn't allow fans to be in the building.

They could have made it look really spectacular and a major talking point for the right reasons and written Moxley out justifiably.

I've increasingly had the idea that Cody, Bucks etc just buddied up to Khan knowing he was a huge mark and they could make good money practically being their own boss spending his dad's money. This just furthers that belief.

2 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Why didn't they even just pre-record this somewhere else with the explanation that it was so dangerous they couldn't allow fans to be in the building.

They could have made it look really spectacular and a major talking point for the right reasons and written Moxley out justifiably.

I've increasingly had the idea that Cody, Bucks etc just buddied up to Khan knowing he was a huge mark and they could make good money practically being their own boss spending his dad's money. This just furthers that belief.

Absolutely this.

There were so many obvious things that could have helped mitigate this.

• Paid Members

@Shy Dad there were some decent bits. The Rumble was fun. The "Inter Circle" (thanks, JR) Young Bucks match had some moments, and there was some good stuff during the street fight. I think the street fight is probably also why they couldn't go pretaped with the death match. It had something if a "B" PPV feel to it in places. 

52 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

But they're copyright striking the promo off of social media, and saying "were you actually thinking we'd blow up our wrestlers in a match with the words exploding and death in the name? You animals.." as their defence.

How do they deal with it now? JR and the lads all saying "well didn't we look like a bunch of prize plums on Sunday acting like that was a massive explosion" as soon as Dynamite starts on Wednesday? Moxley and Kingston coming out looking fine and some other convoluted, hastily booked angle to send him off on his paternity leave? They might as well just throw a party for him in the main event segment now because Lord knows they will for Cody when Brandi's had the baby. Have Callis, the Good Brothers and Omega saying "we deliberately underegged it in case we couldn't get the job done in the 30 minutes and to make Moxley look like an idiot."?

They're trying to shut the stable door after the horse is Tesco burgers.

I think we're on the same page here - what I'm saying is that they shouldn't have used the defence they're using, I'm saying Khan should have immediately said something had gone wrong. If they'd done that, I don't think they'd be getting mocked quite at this level. But you're right, the horse has bolted on that one. 

20 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

AEW should probably feel lucky that they only average about 100k buys. Can you imagine if half of their audience actually bought that show.

I don't think it matters - I can't remember the last time WWE pulled something that pulled this kind of reaction on social media. You can talk about the eye-for-an-eye match, or Bray Wyatt's ring projections - they were mocked, but it never actually felt damaging to WWE. This, to me at least, feels like it has the potential to be. The reaction will die down of course, but this was so awful that there's a very good chance fans won't be as forgiving of fuck-ups or bad decisions as they have been in the past. It's not like this is the first time something like this has happened - Matt Hardy/Sammy Guevarra comes to mind - and this feels like it could be something looked back on as the straw that broke the camel's back. 

Edited by RedRooster

The more I watch it the more I think theyve dropped the ball massively by not having done a crossover of shitarse moments and had their huge huge hall of fame star announced as Gillberg as he made his entrance through the sparkler smoke from the ringposts.

• Paid Members

Yeah, AEW's fanbase isn't anywhere near as big or casual as WWE's, and a lot of WWE fans have a bit of "oh yeah, that's that stupid WWE" attitude about the slightly drafter stuff they pull, whereas AEW claims to be going in a more "real, legit sports" direction. It's going to come down to "Sports entertainment" Vs "wrestling". You can get away with some of that shit in the name of "entertainment", but if you're going with your "wins and losses matter" and then book death matches where this happens then it kind of flies in the face of your "legit sports" presentation.

"The chair was supposed to be gimmicked", Matt Hardy's concussion, this literal damp squib. It will probably all add up, especially amongst a smaller, more niche audience

Edited by jazzygeofferz

1 minute ago, TildeGuy~! said:

One thing I forgot about during Cody’s entrance was the zoom in on Jade Cargill smiling and cheering for him.

Fucks sake lads.

Having not caught up on last weeks Dynamite before the PPV I assumed there must have been some mutual respect, the scores are settled, handshakes after the tag match? I take it there wasnt.