Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

I’ve got one with food, and I blame Masterchef.

It’s when people start attaching posh, exotic sounding names to side dishes, a vegetable on the plate, a preparation method, and when I have to Google what the hell they’re on about, it’s just “baked with onions” or “fried in garlic.” Like… its completely unnecessary to show off your knowledge of traditional French cooking terms for something straightforward that you’re describing to your reader or listener. Reminds me of when Meltzer used to put in his reports that someone did an “Orihara moonsault” to describe a moonsault from the turnbuckle to outside the ring. Both put me in mind of Partridge in the face of criticism of dumbing down his radio, utterly convinced he’s educating the morons. “I’ve dumbed UP!”

OK, some of us know our Dauphinoise potatoes from our Dauphine potatoes, but read the room. Sometimes a carrot is just a carrot, Yvonne.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

I also have an absolute hatred of the word "slaw", which seems to be the trendy word that's used in eateries even when it's just regular coleslaw. 

I didn’t eat coleslaw until I was about 12 because it was too close to “cold sore” for my liking.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

I also have an absolute hatred of the word "slaw", which seems to be the trendy word that's used in eateries even when it's just regular coleslaw. 

Between the scone/cream jam thing, the pie thing, and this, seems like you're angling to become the forum Food Hooligan 😁

You're right about the last one, mind.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Everything is being shortened to make menu descriptions as short as possible. I hate it. Your burger will come with “Swiss, Dijon, baby gem, slaw.” Of course, they then sometimes bugger this efficiency by calling it “house slaw” which is fairly often, survey says…. just regular coleslaw.

Quite a few takeaways and cafes near me are cash only. One guy was telling me it was because of how much it would cost him to have a card machine with all the monthly fees so that’s why it was cash only. I suspect it may have had more to do with how the place changed name every few months but had the exact same staff every time. 

Plus where they’re all located is colloquially knows as Four Banks due to there being a bank on each corner of the crossroads, so cash points aren’t exactly a mile away. 

Theres quite a few 'sit down' places where I live that dont use card readers as well. Ive always assumed its 50% saving on fees, and 50% youre almost always going to say 'keep the change' if your bill is £18.69 and youve given them a twenty quid note, whereas you'd give that exact amount when using a card. All those mini tips would add up to a fair chunk of change over the course of a month.