Paid Members Carbomb Posted September 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 26, 2025 53 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: Not that I would but I avoid any of these comment sections for obvious reasons. I remember once being quote tweeted by little Tommy and every comment was "Bacon ??? bet Muslims would love you as a neighbour!" The thing that gets me about that and all the usual right-wing Islamophobic bollocks (like that knuckledragger who thought he was cleverly trolling Zohran Mamdani with a picture of bacon frying) is that it occurs to none of them that, if they think they're offending Muslims with that shit, then they're also being anti-Semitic too. It's part of why I never see their support for Israel as genuine and only as a stick to beat the left with - most English people I've met from outside London or Manchester have never even met any Jews, and know next to fuck-all about the religion. (I know that's not a reason not to show support for Jews, but it is an indicator that provides grounds for suspicion.) Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted September 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 26, 2025 1 hour ago, BomberPat said: The worst of them are "this group of men were smoking near the bins" or "I keep seeing unfamiliar cars pull up and wait around, they're clearly dealing drugs/casing flats for robberies". Or maybe they're fucking Uber drivers? Or someone picking up a mate? And so what if someone's smoking around the bins, they're the fucking bins. There's a few mental busybodies in our flat's Whatsapp group forever posting about stuff like this and it winds me right up. I was once waiting outside for a takeaway delivery and as the guy on the bike was pulling up one of the group twats started saying to him "you don't sell that stuff around here!" etc. I had to stop him and tell him it was my takeaway. Absolute loon. That's the worst of it really, but his wife seems to stare out the window all day for things going on, and has never once uncovered anything worth pointing out. Latest was she saw some people attending to a broken section of wall and was concerned people might be stealing the bricks - you'll be stunned to read it was actually people there to repair it. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted September 26, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 26, 2025 it's the sort of stuff I expect from my Gran, who lived in a tiny village, next door to the village shop, and used to complain that people were sitting on the bench outside her house. Yes, it's a bench, it's for sitting on. And it's outside a shop that you can only comfortably fit two people in at once. The curtains would twitch every time a car slowed down outside, and she'd always be suspicious of where the neighbours might be going "at all hours". But you sort of expect that behaviour from a sheltered little old lady in that environment. We're on a housing estate off a main road in South London, you'd think we'd be somewhat immune to the "report any black teenager in a hoodie as suspicious" brigade. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted September 26, 2025 Awards Moderator Posted September 26, 2025 (edited) Our street have a WhatsApp group (and paper newsletter, and street AGMs) and they are all entirely obsessed with the bins. It’s the only thing I’ve ever seen any of them write about in the three years we’ve lived there. I was asked if I wanted to join the WhatsApp earlier this year and I couldn’t politely decline fast enough. I’m now worried about getting caught every time I take the rubbish out. Edited September 26, 2025 by HarmonicGenerator Duke Droese Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted September 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 27, 2025 I’m getting mildly annoyed at the trend of food products insisting on naming their varieties “the (insert) one.” There’s a cheese brand that has “The English One” “The American One” and “The Mexican One” and a set of Schwartz (IIRC) seasoning mixes labelled “The Herby One” “The Zesty One” “The Spicy One” etc. I can’t put my finger on why, but it irks me. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted September 27, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 27, 2025 Our street WhatsApp is great. But its only 4 houses, 1 a family from Normandy, 1 a family from Italy, the third is a goth biker, and us in the last. The local Reform candidates gave up on posting flyers to us. Quote
King Coconut Posted September 27, 2025 Posted September 27, 2025 I can't fathom why anybody would want to be in a neighbourhood WhatsApp. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted September 29, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 29, 2025 On 9/27/2025 at 1:30 PM, air_raid said: I’m getting mildly annoyed at the trend of food products insisting on naming their varieties “the (insert) one.” There’s a cheese brand that has “The English One” “The American One” and “The Mexican One” and a set of Schwartz (IIRC) seasoning mixes labelled “The Herby One” “The Zesty One” “The Spicy One” etc. I can’t put my finger on why, but it irks me. A much more niche complaint, but this happens in wrestling - Goldust used to be "The Bizarre One", and in British wrestling Nightshade is "The Deadly One", and Safire Reed used to be "Radioactive" Safire Reed but is now "The Radioactive One" Safire Reed. I absolutely hate it. You can get rid of "one", and the nickname works better. You can get rid of "the" and "one" and it works better. "The" just makes it sound like something that's been badly machine translated. Quote
deathrey Posted September 29, 2025 Posted September 29, 2025 I blame Friends - 'The one where.....' Quote
organizedkaos Posted September 29, 2025 Posted September 29, 2025 Corollary, other people's local WhatsApp groups are super entertaining. Friends used to live in a fairly posh/older/curtain twitching area of the city and they're still on the old WhatsApp group mostly so they can keep us updated with drama. Frequently they complain about a car or something they don't recognise without realise said person is actually in the group. This often leads to significant arguments/mudslinging. My favourite was the saucepan incident. Someone posted about a broken saucepan (no handle) they were trying to get rid of. Suggested it might work as a dog bowl. Another, younger resident accidentally then posted "OMG you'll never guess what the weirdos in my local WhatsApp are doing" message to said local WhatsApp. Other, elderly residents could not comprehend the idea of someone messaging the wrong group. They assumed the younger resident was directly attack them. A week of confused arguing/mudslinging occurs Quote
Paid Members Bus Surfer Posted September 29, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 29, 2025 From our local FB page this morning Which turned out to be... Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted September 29, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 29, 2025 "Hence why..." I hear this all the fucking time in meetings at work and it serves as a minor annoyance every single time. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted September 29, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 29, 2025 Performative ignorance, usually insulting the intelligence of the people you're attempting to pander to in the process. The one that always comes to mind is Owen Smith, the completely forgettable ex-Labour MP who ran against Jeremy Corbyn for the leadership in 2016; in what was supposed to be a puff piece, he was drinking a cappuccino in a Pontypridd café and made a point of calling it a "frothy coffee", and talking about how he normally has it in a "proper mug" and had never been served it in a "posh cup with little biscuits" before, basically acting as if his working class credentials were so strong as to not recognise a drink that's been on the menu in every tearoom or greasy spoon in the country for decades, and that admitting to ordinarily having one with a little biscuit would be to expose himself as a pampered liberal elite. I just saw a masterful example of the genre from a mate in Jersey, who's been campaigning for years to try and get a long-closed old fisherman's pub reopened. He just shared a post about it with someone complaining about gentrification and blandness, and part of the bloke's post says, "An old pub that can remind locals and visitors alike what it might have been like in a time before Budweiser and Coca Whatever-it's-called!". I think pretending not to have heard of this new-fangled Coca-Cola is even more egregious than frothy coffee in a proper mug. Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted September 29, 2025 Paid Members Posted September 29, 2025 To be fair, the Welsh for cappuccino is Ffrothi Coffi / frothy coffee. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted September 29, 2025 Members Posted September 29, 2025 1 hour ago, BomberPat said: "An old pub that can remind locals and visitors alike what it might have been like in a time before Budweiser and Coca Whatever-it's-called!". This genuinely might be the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. I'm actually angry. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.