Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

Tip David - shut your email down at 4 pm.  Anything that comes in after then can be dealt with on Monday, it’s usually someone else trying to dump their problem onto you before leaving for the weekend.

And NEVER LOOK AT WORK EMAILS ON THE WEEKEND.  Something I struggle with myself.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Scratch said:

Not wishing to just sounds like a right grumpy sod, but it feels as though every email these days starts with:

Hi Douglas

Hope you’re well.

Could you please send me….

It feels as though everyone just assumes that if you don’t start with “hope you’re well” then the recipient will automatically think you’re utterly careless.

It’s become so meaningless and insincere, I guess that’s why it’s become an annoyance to me.

It absolutely is insincere, but it's an improvement on asking "how are you" and not meaning it. Hope you're well is shorthand for "We've not spoken for a while, but regardless I'm not doing pleasantries". 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

It absolutely is insincere, but it's an improvement on asking "how are you" and not meaning it. Hope you're well is shorthand for "We've not spoken for a while, but regardless I'm not doing pleasantries". 

I completely agree, but when you get emails from that person every day? Nah.

• Paid Members

Ugh. I still remember vividly the day Norwich handed their official twitter account over from the lead press officer to a social media manager.

It was like the club had had lobotomy overnight. 

In the season 3 Christmas episode of The Office US - after Carole breaks up with Michael and Andy takes him to a Benihana to cheer him up - they convince the two waitresses to come back to the Christmas party with them. But when they arrive back at the office, the two waitresses are now being played by different actors.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

In the season 3 Christmas episode of The Office US - after Carole breaks up with Michael and Andy takes him to a Benihana to cheer him up - they convince the two waitresses to come back to the Christmas party with them. But when they arrive back at the office, the two waitresses are now being played by different actors.

That was deliberate.

Years after the episode originally aired, the storyline involving the Benihana waitresses received renewed scrutiny in the wake of acknowledgement of racism against Asian Americans. Kat Ahn, the actress who played the waitress that Michael brought back to the office, said in an interview with The Washington Post that she was disenchanted upon realizing she had been cast on the show "just… to be the joke". Ahn also posted a video on TikTok, which she explained "The storyline with myself and the other Asian American actress is that we were the uglier versions of the actresses at the Benihana. Also that all Asian people look alike. We're one big monolith and just one big walking stereotype without any personality or any individuality, which is problematic. The whole joke was that all Asians look alike and that's why Michael Scott couldn't tell us apart." In a 2020 episode of the Office Ladies podcast, Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey noted that they cringed when re-watching the episode in 2020, and reflected that "the storyline would [not] have been written today."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Silly one but the word ‘discourse’. Rarely saw it used until recently and now it seems like it’s in almost every other post/tweet etc. It’s like everyone just discovered the word in January or something, and now feel like they’ve got to shoehorn it into every third sentence. 

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Silly one but the word ‘discourse’. Rarely saw it used until recently and now it seems like it’s in almost every other post/tweet etc. It’s like everyone just discovered the word in January or something, and now feel like they’ve got to shoehorn it into every third sentence. 

It's used a lot in academic language - Foucault was one of its major proponents. Had to use it quite a bit in my MA.