Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

I've had the word discourse muted on Twitter since 2021, so it's been around a little while. I think largely confined to the game dev side of things, which only has about four topics they endlessly cycle through and I can't be arsed with.

On 2/25/2024 at 7:04 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Silly one but the word ‘discourse’. Rarely saw it used until recently and now it seems like it’s in almost every other post/tweet etc. It’s like everyone just discovered the word in January or something, and now feel like they’ve got to shoehorn it into every third sentence. 

It’s like the other year when everyone found out what gaslighting was.

Another thing lately on Twitter is people seemingly calling anyone and everyone the N word. I don’t mean people just being blatantly racist in the traditional sense, but just throwing it in for no reason at all.
Yesterday on my timeline I had someone (who I don’t even follow) saying “This n***a Seth Rollins single handedly changed the main event style in WWE”

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Maybe a sensitive thing, and not something that bothers me, but I’ve noticed over the last few years people don’t often mention that someone has died, but rather they’ve passed. Just reading above how some words seem to fall in and out of favour made me notice it.

Edited by Scratch

4 hours ago, Scratch said:

Maybe a sensitive thing, and not something that bothers me, but I’ve noticed over the last few years people don’t often mention that someone has died, but rather they’ve passed. Just reading above how some words seem to fall in and out of favour made me notice it.

There is a wonderful Instagram account called “They Didn’t Die” which has wonderful examples of using euphemisms in public notices, such as a keen pilot taking his last flight, that sort of thing. 

It's my old friend REPLY ALL.

Look after a shared inbox, and forwarded on a relevant email to colleagues. Because I don't want to start some REPLY ALL bullshit, I mention the email in the Teams chat, hoping it gets discussed in there instead, where I can easily ignore it.

Nope. It's ignored and people continue to reply to the email. Great.

We've also had the organisation of two peoples leaving drinks in the last week. That can be done over Teams right? I mean we're all in the group, so makes sense?

Nope. Email after email "your round" "oi it was last time" "lol" "😆😆😆" to everyone.

This country.

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

It's my old friend REPLY ALL.

Look after a shared inbox, and forwarded on a relevant email to colleagues. Because I don't want to start some REPLY ALL bullshit, I mention the email in the Teams chat, hoping it gets discussed in there instead, where I can easily ignore it.

Nope. It's ignored and people continue to reply to the email. Great.

We've also had the organisation of two peoples leaving drinks in the last week. That can be done over Teams right? I mean we're all in the group, so makes sense?

Nope. Email after email "your round" "oi it was last time" "lol" "😆😆😆" to everyone.

This country.

Teams is shit though.  Rubbish for actual chats.  Slack ftw.

• Paid Members

The use of all-time with regards to very narrow temporal spans or limited to a tiny pool of possibilities gets on my nerves.

I'm perfectly happy with this line from Wikipedia:

The blue whale is the largest mammal of all time, with the largest known specimen being 33.6 m (110.2 ft) long and the largest weighted specimen being 190 tonnes.

There's been life on Earth of some sort for over 3 billion years. The dinosaurs made their appearance 225 million years ago. We're talking a considerable stretch. Fine by me.

But then we get expressions thrown around such as "the greatest Wrestlemania of all time" or its sibling, "the greatest Wrestlemania in history". There have only been forty years' worth of them! The alternatives "the greatest Wrestlemania [of all]" and "the best match in Wrestlemania history" perfectly suffice.

It's not actually wrestling which has got me posting, though: it's that recently I heard of the score from Close Encounters of the Third Kind as being "uniquely one of John Williams's greatest works of all time". All-time is doing a bit of heavy lifting there, constrained to one person and around 70 years.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Doing some very tedious Remote Desktop server testing today with our central IT team. One of the issues is when I log onto this new remote environment it doesn’t bring across my bookmarks from my main profile. 

The IT guy I’m speaking to about it calls them Favourites rather than bookmarks, which is absolutely fine. No issue. 

However, he pronounces it as “favouriteys” and I cannot stand it, and I must  have heard it about 30 times already today. To be clear he is a native English speaker, so I’m not sure if he genuinely doesn’t know or if he’s trying to be cute. Either way I want to poke him in the eye right now. 

Edited by JLM

People putting stuff on Facebook that quite frankly should be done via email/text/Whatsapp/somewhere fucking else.

"Hi Sheila! I've posted you something. I hope you got it!"

Either on their feed or adding it as a status. Fuck off. Why you doing that on there?

32 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

The use of all-time

“I’m the greatest champion in AEW history”.

I have pairs of socks older than AEW.