Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members

I hate the phrase "life hacks" in general. It's just advice or, if you want to get a bit more Viz about it, Top Tips.

On a similar note, I hate the language of "content". That you can't just be a writer or a musician or a filmmaker or an artist on the Internet, you're a "content creator". 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gus Mears said:

Articles referring to basic life advice or the blindingly obvious as "hacks".

'Get a squeaky clean ring with these five amazing hacks for wiping your arse 1. Make sure there isn't still shit on the bog roll when you finish up.'

I keep getting posts from /r/showerthoughts on Reddit, and some of the drivel on there just makes me wonder how a lot of people make it through life.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

The price of olive oil. I know there's reasons why beyond bog standard inflation but it's about doubled at Aldi over the past year.

The cheapest we found was about £4.50-£5 for a large bottle of extra virgin olive oil at Lidl. It was more than that for a small bottle from Asda. I think if it keeps like this we'll maybe look into other neutral oils.

I do use it for a lot of Italian cooking but mainly in things where the taste of the oil matters or as salad dressing.  Other foods are made with a cheaper flavourless oil. I'm sure I've read on many occasions that you shouldn't really be heating Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

10 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

The price of olive oil. I know there's reasons why beyond bog standard inflation but it's about doubled at Aldi over the past year.

Is it first pressing though? You don't want to wait until every one else has had their fun with the olives.

hDu6jUDZGxer.gif

• Paid Members

One of the perks of living in Sardinia is that my girlfriend's father knows a local farmer who supplies us with 6 litre bottles of olive oil straight from the source. It's wonderful stuff. We generously drizzle it on pasta, something I had never even thought of before living here, and it's honestly a gamechanger. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, deathrey said:

I do use it for a lot of Italian cooking but mainly in things where the taste of the oil matters or as salad dressing.  Other foods are made with a cheaper flavourless oil. I'm sure I've read on many occasions that you shouldn't really be heating Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

I've never heard that and a quick google shows most the first results recommending it as an oil to heat with because it's stable. Maybe it depends on what you're cooking with it?

We use Olive Oil for italian cooking, fish and salads, which we eat most often than not. Also nice to have in when I make pizza dough. We use vegetable oil for frying, crisping and the ninja foodie.

1 hour ago, hallicks said:

Isn’t olive oil healthier than other/cheaper ones? I must have heard that a long time ago as it’s all I ever cook with 

Yes it is, but it's also quite strongly flavoured and expensive. There are other oils that are cheaper, pretty much as healthy and not as strongly flavoured and if you are cooking with olive oil it's best not to use extra virgin.

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

I've never heard that and a quick google shows most the first results recommending it as an oil to heat with because it's stable. Maybe it depends on what you're cooking with it?

We use Olive Oil for italian cooking, fish and salads, which we eat most often than not. Also nice to have in when I make pizza dough. We use vegetable oil for frying, crisping and the ninja foodie.

I think maybe my head has muddled it up and a quick Google says it's extra virgin olive oil it's not worth cooking with rather than you shouldn't cook with it