Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

There's something very staged and focus-grouped about it, as if pointing with the index finger has been deemed too judgey, so instead we get a stubby little sausage jabbed at us on the end of a fist -

I guess it feels like that because it is exactly that! But I'm with you. It feels very unnatural. 

10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I guess it feels like that because it is exactly that! But I'm with you. It feels very unnatural. 

Boris used to do it as a double thumb point, which look very weird.  But it's a lot better than pointing at people, so I see where it came from.  Like a lot of these things, it's become popular because it works in person I think.

My word tick is finishing sentences and saying 'right' additionally at the end even if it's not needed, can't help it. Editing stand up clips of myself is bad enough because I don't like my voice, right? 

So I'll be sat there and reacting out loud "You've said right AGAIN! Why are you doing that." No idea how to avoid or stop it 🫣

Also the Kevin Nash hair flick.

• Awards Moderator

My filler phrase used to be “sort of” until someone pointed it out and I had to train myself out of it. I thought I’d been fairly good at not using them (I can generally speak to groups of people without using “er” much) but while editing myself for podcasts it’s very clear I’ve just replaced it with “and”

”Aaaand” I’ll start my sentences with that while I’m thinking of what I’m going to say, “aaaand” when I’ve thought of a point partway through, or if I’m trying an open question “and…”

It’s fucking dreadful and I know I must do it all the time when I’m just talking. Just shut up and don’t talk, is what I need to do.

When I started uni we had a lecturer who'd end sentences with 'in those kind of ways' a lot. I didn't know anyone at the time but thought to myself that I couldn't be the only one who noticed how often he used it. I was proven right when in the following lectures he'd say it and then I'd hear several pens click straight after each time. You could see it put him off his tracks too, poor sod.