Work

Tommy!

On 10/7/2021 at 6:48 PM, 69MeDon said:

Thanks for this. I sent the recruiter a detailed message letting him know the deal and he came back with "when can I give you a call to discuss?" I'm thinking there isn't much to discuss? I feel like he's going to try and talk me round to taking the offer he gets paid on. That sound about right in your experience?

Yes. But again, you owe them nothing. Be interested to see who these recruiters are. *How are you doing fellow kids voice* Slide in my DMs and tell me please :)

Reminds me of one of those "help getting back to work" schemes the job centre put me on. 

The "advisor" wanted me to apply for a job that I would have to rely on public transport to get to and I wanted to apply for the job that was a 20 minute walk from my house. Both started at 6am.

Advisor (sarcastically like I was trying to pull one over on them): So you can't get to this job for 6am but you can't get to that one? 

Well duh the job I'm after is 20 minutes from my front door. Fucking idiot. 

I simply ignored her and just applied applied for the job that was close to home, got it and lasted about 12 years there.

After an up and down few years workwise, I've got an interview next Thursday. I'll be in between nightshifts in my current job and doing the interview via video call from a Travelodge. All a bit partridge. 

The job is appointed person for lifting operations for a fencing firm that do massive projects including hs2. After being granted the interview I noticed a second ad for the same firm as a more general H and S advisor, slightly better pay. 

The last few years I've been working for a firm that does projects for b and q and Wickes, from new store openings down to simple one night jobs. I've moved up as far as the site supervision level, occasionally involved with project planning and H and S monitoring. And for two years until January I had a stint for a housebuilder as a site manager, so I'm familiar with the relevant procedures and legislation to a fair degree, but the role would be a huge change for me. 

I meet all the criteria in the ads and they do state that training will be provided, but after some bad experiences in the past I'm worried that if I do get it I'll be chucked in the deep end. 

Any tips or advice much appreciated (never done a video interview before). If this goes well, for the first time in ages I'll be home every night and the new Mrs Vance will be very happy. 

In November 2019 I was told that the company I work for has been brought out by another company and effectively we would all be losing our jobs and the time frame given was by the end of December 2020.

COVID happened and we were all working from home and the migration from the company I work for to the new company was delayed and I was informed in October 2020 that my role would be extended until April 2021. 

In late January 2021, I was offered the chance to work for the new company until 31 December 2021 and was offered a pretty substantial monetary bonus as well as an additional year on my redundancy pay to stay on, I agreed to do so as it was pretty much a no brainer.

Today, I was informed that they would like to extend my role again till end of March 2022 this time with no additional bonuses being offered and my redundancy will be paid in April 2022. 

I should be grateful, I know I should but, I have mentally be preparing myself to leave in December and now this. It really is not a straightforward decision. I have till Thursday to make a decision, time to do some thinking.

I got a new job on Wednesday. Working for my old boss at his new school. I will be working as part of the high needs team across the entire school. 

Really loved working for him in the past and he has always looked out for so feeling very positive. I started taking antidepressants last week as well and my mood has noticeably changed. 

It's all coming up Milhouse.  

17 hours ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

In November 2019 I was told that the company I work for has been brought out by another company and effectively we would all be losing our jobs and the time frame given was by the end of December 2020.

COVID happened and we were all working from home and the migration from the company I work for to the new company was delayed and I was informed in October 2020 that my role would be extended until April 2021. 

In late January 2021, I was offered the chance to work for the new company until 31 December 2021 and was offered a pretty substantial monetary bonus as well as an additional year on my redundancy pay to stay on, I agreed to do so as it was pretty much a no brainer.

Today, I was informed that they would like to extend my role again till end of March 2022 this time with no additional bonuses being offered and my redundancy will be paid in April 2022. 

I should be grateful, I know I should but, I have mentally be preparing myself to leave in December and now this. It really is not a straightforward decision. I have till Thursday to make a decision, time to do some thinking.

Tough situation. Unless you've been there a long time or the ordinary redundancy pay is being enhanced, redundancy pay really isn't that much, £544 per year served until you get over a certain age.

It's easier to find a job when you're in one, than when you're not, so perhaps think of this as an opportunity to find a new job before you are made redundant

23 hours ago, Philo_Vance said:

Any tips or advice much appreciated (never done a video interview before). If this goes well, for the first time in ages I'll be home every night and the new Mrs Vance will be very happy. 

This might sound quite trivial but remember to look at the camera and not the person on the screen. 

Also put 'cheat' post it notes (or similar) around the screen with things on that you want to highlight from your career or CV.

The benefit of a video interview is that if you want to quickly check something, instead of looking down at your CV, you can use this way instead. Have as many as you want as well. They can't see it, so you might as well.

Lastly, relax. Video interviews are fine, and actually the whole 'sometimes people talk over each other' thing isn't awkward, and actually adds to it all, as you can use it to your advantage and make light of it. The interviewer will be feeling the same way.

And it goes without saying, sit in your pants.

Best of luck. 

• Paid Members

…But if you do sit in your pants, make sure you have everything close to hand!  I’ve conducted loads of video interviews and people often have to get up to get something I need to see.  Thankfully, none have been in their pants!

If you have a chance, it’s worth testing your video and audio in advance to help reduce issues.

I actually think video interviews are harder for the interviewers so try to remember it’s probably worse for them.  Try to relax as it does help across a screen.  Good luck!

22 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Tough situation. Unless you've been there a long time or the ordinary redundancy pay is being enhanced, redundancy pay really isn't that much, £544 per year served until you get over a certain age.

It's easier to find a job when you're in one, than when you're not, so perhaps think of this as an opportunity to find a new job before you are made redundant

I should have added my redundancy is being enhanced and with me being there 8 years (actually I have been there 10 years next April but the first 18 months I was on agency, which is a whole other story)  it is quite a substantial figure. 

Thank you for the response and the suggestion, which I think I will do. Another plus point is, that as I have technically been served notice there is nothing stopping me getting a new job in say, February and as long as I serve my notice I will still get my redundancy pay. I am quite surprised given that, that they haven't offered some sort of financial incentive to ensure that who ever they have asked to stay on (believe they have asked 10 people) actually stays on till the end.

For me, it is a psychological thing now with me knowing that I am going to be made redundant and I have had that particular cloud hanging over me for 2 and a half years, which is what it will be by the time I actually get my redundancy money, unless time schedules change again. It has affected me and stopped me planning and doing certain things, trying to be careful with money that sort of thing.

On 10/15/2021 at 5:09 PM, Philo_Vance said:

As someone who has been on video calls myself whilst staying in hotels its worth thinking and making sure your background looks decent. Presumably your bed will be in the background If your sitting at the desk/table so making sure the camera angles are good and there is no messy background will be helpful. 

I find with video calls its easier to make jokes to lighten the mood, show more of your personality than the whole generic interview. 

• Paid Members

I got my current job on a video interview, and had done a fair few before it. In a lot of ways, as I was applying for a job in effectively a different country, lockdown came as a bit of a blessing in that video interviews had become the norm, rather than something I would have had to argue for.

Where I tended to slip up was because of the lack of body language, it can be sometimes less clear how people are reacting to one another, and there's an odd temptation to keep talking after you'd have normally naturally come to a stop. So it helps to have a firm idea of what your answers to some of the likely questions will be, and to have anything that might help you close at hand.

The main thing is that it will be a little clunky and awkward, but it will be the same for everyone involved. You can make a little small talk around that, joke about it, and everyone's in the same boat, so it's a safe topic. Once that's out of the way, that should hopefully reduce some of the tension.

• Awards Moderator

I definitely regret the decision I made the other week. Got a meeting at work tomorrow - everyone in our department does, two people have had theirs already and they’ve both had their hours (and pay) cut significantly. I’ve got no doubt I’ll be getting the same. What the fuck was I thinking not getting out while I had the chance.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I definitely regret the decision I made the other week. Got a meeting at work tomorrow - everyone in our department does, two people have had theirs already and they’ve both had their hours (and pay) cut significantly. I’ve got no doubt I’ll be getting the same. What the fuck was I thinking not getting out while I had the chance.

You said it yourself, dude: you were always going to regret whichever choice you made at the time. Try to remember that there were worthy reasons why you chose to stick with the current job, one of them being that the job offer was proof you didn't have to worry about whether or not you could get another worthwhile job if you needed to.

EDIT: Just to be clear, that's not to say that it's not shit that they might be cutting your job back, especially as this seems to have been an unpleasant surprise they've sprung on you.

Edited by Carbomb