Work

Tommy!

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

My mate actually had negative feedback for asking what the salary range would be in an interview during the ‘do you have any questions’ period of the interview. Apparently it made him seem financially motivated, unlike all the other potential Aldi managers who I assume do it for the love of the job.

Don't know the particulars of it but I can see how it could come off as negative if you responded "how much is the pay?" when they ask "what attracts you to this position". But honestly, this is just another tactic to get them to pay you less. You can go in with the business speak about how "obviously there are a lot of factors involved in my interest in this role, but I do have to consider total compensation to make sure it makes financial sense for me".

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Figure I'll ask for some advice here:

I have been offered two jobs. One of which kind of went on hold because one of the people involved in recruiting for it went on paternity leave. In the meantime, I have been offered a position somewhere else. The one I was offered yesterday is a higher "title", but slightly less money than the one I got offered today. The one I was offered today is wfh most of the time, while the one I was offered yesterday is in office full time. I hate working in office, I want more money. So this should be an easy decision, right?

Except the one I was offered yesterday was through a recruiter and I had two interviews and they've sent me the contract to sign and everything. And I feel like a dick telling them, actually, some other job that I didn't even mention has made an offer and you can't match it unless you're willing to go against what you were looking for in terms of wfh vs in office. Has anyone had to navigate this sort of thing before? I'm screwing the recruiter out of commission here, I'm sure.

I have no empathy for recruiters, so if you’ve been offered a role for more money and better circumstances (work from home) that’s going to make you happier day to day, then go for that.

You mention the other job had a higher title, but is that all there was in the “plus” column for that role? Does the other, “lesser” but higher paying role have scope for advancement?

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Figure I'll ask for some advice here:

I have been offered two jobs. One of which kind of went on hold because one of the people involved in recruiting for it went on paternity leave. In the meantime, I have been offered a position somewhere else. The one I was offered yesterday is a higher "title", but slightly less money than the one I got offered today. The one I was offered today is wfh most of the time, while the one I was offered yesterday is in office full time. I hate working in office, I want more money. So this should be an easy decision, right?

Except the one I was offered yesterday was through a recruiter and I had two interviews and they've sent me the contract to sign and everything. And I feel like a dick telling them, actually, some other job that I didn't even mention has made an offer and you can't match it unless you're willing to go against what you were looking for in terms of wfh vs in office. Has anyone had to navigate this sort of thing before? I'm screwing the recruiter out of commission here, I'm sure.

You don't owe a recruiter anything - this is about deciding what's best for you and your future. For the recruiter it's a one-off annoyance but either way they'd basically forget about you once you've got a job. For you, it's potentially years of your life and finances. Take the better job.

3 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I have no empathy for recruiters, so if you’ve been offered a role for more money and better circumstances (work from home) that’s going to make you happier day to day, then go for that.

You mention the other job had a higher title, but is that all there was in the “plus” column for that role? Does the other, “lesser” but higher paying role have scope for advancement?

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, it's the same job, just different title. Also: they just came back to me again and increased the salary offer beyond what I was even asking for, so I will just have to bite the bullet and have the awkward chat with the recruiter because I'd have to be a fool to turn this down. It's a good problem to have, though.

Thanks for your advice, and @Jesse.

Update on my previous issues. 

So, the saga continues. Finished sick and on Annual Leave til next week. 

However, they've sent an invitation to tender out this week for due diligence and compliance, which  'totally' 'not related' to my current role, much

I get they didnt want me after doing all the heavy lifting for them, but that's low, for anyone right? 

They've not even contacted me to ask if I'm coming back or if im ok.. 

Anyhoo my side projects funding is nearly up, I've enough til last til December ish, the dilemma is do i  go back and negotiate a payoff as can demonstrably show improvements etc, and then concentrate on my side gig and make that my main role, or do I go back and head down hope for the best? 

@69MeDon Even as someone that used to be a commission based recruitment consultant, I would still say as others have echoed, you owe them nothing. Fuck their bonus, that doesn't pay your bills does it? 

If a recruiter thinks that most people are only in the process for one role and that's the one through them, then bigger fool them to be honest.

So you might piss someone off for a bit. Not the end of the world. Go with the role that feels right for you.

In other news, 3 months into my role and I've been offered a promotion, which is nice. Still with the not-for-profit, but will be focusing on employers and building relationships with them for our participants. 

Also, we offer our service free of charge to employers obviously, so fuck recruiters even more!!! Now I'll be taking business from them. Delicious.

22 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

@69MeDon Even as someone that used to be a commission based recruitment consultant, I would still say as others have echoed, you owe them nothing. Fuck their bonus, that doesn't pay your bills does it? 

If a recruiter thinks that most people are only in the process for one role and that's the one through them, then bigger fool them to be honest.

So you might piss someone off for a bit. Not the end of the world. Go with the role that feels right for you.

In other news, 3 months into my role and I've been offered a promotion, which is nice. Still with the not-for-profit, but will be focusing on employers and building relationships with them for our participants. 

Also, we offer our service free of charge to employers obviously, so fuck recruiters even more!!! Now I'll be taking business from them. Delicious.

Thanks for this. I sent the recruiter a detailed message letting him know the deal and he came back with "when can I give you a call to discuss?" I'm thinking there isn't much to discuss? I feel like he's going to try and talk me round to taking the offer he gets paid on. That sound about right in your experience?

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Thanks for this. I sent the recruiter a detailed message letting him know the deal and he came back with "when can I give you a call to discuss?" I'm thinking there isn't much to discuss? I feel like he's going to try and talk me round to taking the offer he gets paid on. That sound about right in your experience?

Yup. This is recruiters in a nutshell. Always want to jump on the phone and try and sell you the job so they can get their commission.

Just stand your ground. If you’ve decided on another role then just reiterate that, thank them and tell them there’s nothing really to discuss.

You’re doing both of you a favour in the end as you can move on happy with the decision you’ve made, and they can chase other candidates for other roles where there’s an actual prospect of netting some commission.

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members
On 10/5/2021 at 9:05 PM, Mr_Danger said:

My mate actually had negative feedback for asking what the salary range would be in an interview during the ‘do you have any questions’ period of the interview. Apparently it made him seem financially motivated, unlike all the other potential Aldi managers who I assume do it for the love of the job.

They couldn't get their head around me being motivated by something other than money at one time, now I'm apparently not committed to them because I place importance on my health in the workplace and don't constantly fight to be promoted. 

It's an odd company culturally in my experience, and that's being forced to change through gritted teeth because they can't afford to be they way they were when they were smaller over here. It's not nearly as efficient as it likes to claim in my opinion either. 

We’re embroiled in an efficiency argument in our office. Probably a third of our office work the same length of time on our quietest day as they do on our busiest day. It’s a bit of a dead giveaway when they all come back at the same time no matter where they’re working. It’s a tough one personally because I tend to get shafted with higher workloads because I work efficiently but on the other hand I’d probably drag my feet a bit after 30 plus years. Also fuck management.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:44 PM, Slapnut said:

Thanks both. In this instance the role is with a very small company and it would appear all conversations will be held with the owner who advertised the role herself. As it’s not a particularly intensive job application, I’m tempted to apply and have the conversation if and when I’m invited to interview.

So I ended up applying for this and then found the same job advertised on a different website but with the salary listed - 3 days a week and ÂŁ19k less than what I make now.

I’m asking for the salary in advance next time.

Edited by Slapnut

On 10/6/2021 at 4:55 PM, Your Fight Site said:

I'll give the recruiter credit for persistence. It's all "red flags" this and "never heard of them" that. I'm attending a work event next week at my new job and the recruiter said I should not sign the contract until I've been to that and "scoped the situation" and then call him the next morning to discuss.

Poor guy.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

I'll give the recruiter credit for persistence. It's all "red flags" this and "never heard of them" that. I'm attending a work event next week at my new job and the recruiter said I should not sign the contract until I've been to that and "scoped the situation" and then call him the next morning to discuss.

Poor guy.

Urgh.

Just say you’ve done some digging into the other role they were pitching and found nothing but red flags…

On 10/8/2021 at 2:54 PM, Your Fight Site said:

Urgh.

Just say you’ve done some digging into the other role they were pitching and found nothing but red flags…

I forgot the other funny thing he said. He was like "I can't find this company you're talking about on Glassdoor" and I said (truthfully) "well, the one you want me to take isn't on Glassdoor either - I looked" and he replied "oh, yeah, well, they wouldn't be..."