Work

Tommy!

• Awards Moderator
27 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I'm sorry @HarmonicGeneratorthat really is the shits. Any chance the other role would still be open to you changing your mind?

Sadly not - that ship has definitely sailed!

21 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

You said it yourself, dude: you were always going to regret whichever choice you made at the time. Try to remember that there were worthy reasons why you chose to stick with the current job, one of them being that the job offer was proof you didn't have to worry about whether or not you could get another worthwhile job if you needed to.

EDIT: Just to be clear, that's not to say that it's not shit that they might be cutting your job back, especially as this seems to have been an unpleasant surprise they've sprung on you.

This is true and very much worth remembering - thanks.

Luckily I haven't been cut back today, can't tell if it was never the plan for me or if I talked my way out of a cutback but I'm safe for now (or until a better option comes along).

I've decided I've had enough of my job. I'm a teacher and feel like the stresses and pressure of the job is now having an adverse effect on my mental health. I wake up every morning dreading the thought of going in, hate every second that I'm there and then come home miserable so I'm actively looking for other jobs. 

Having talked it through with my wife she also thinks it could be beneficial to get signed off for a while by the doctor. I'm concerned though that this wouldn't look great when applying for other jobs. Would a potential employer find out about it or not think highly of it if I were applying to them while off sick from my current job?

Also how would a notice period work if I were to get signed off but then hand in my notice at my current job?

Edited by Divorced Dad
Extra info.

30 minutes ago, Divorced Dad said:

I've decided I've had enough of my job. I'm a teacher and feel like the stresses and pressure of the job is now having an adverse effect on my mental health. I wake up every morning dreading the thought of going in, hate every second that I'm there and then come home miserable so I'm actively looking for other jobs. 

Having talked it through with my wife she also thinks it could be beneficial to get signed off for a while by the doctor. I'm concerned though that this wouldn't look great when applying for other jobs. Would a potential employer find out about it or not think highly of it if I were applying to them while off sick from my current job?

Also how would a notice period work if I were to get signed off but then hand in my notice at my current job?

Well you'd still need to get signed fit for work for a new employer to take you on. If a doctor signs you off for 3 months that wouldn't just apply for your current one. You could not tell them but if they found out then you would lose your job. 

If you were signed off for 2 months, 1 month in you handed in your 1 month notice (I understand teachers have a different notice period, just example) then that would be fine.

11 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Well you'd still need to get signed fit for work for a new employer to take you on. If a doctor signs you off for 3 months that wouldn't just apply for your current one. You could not tell them but if they found out then you would lose your job. 

If you were signed off for 2 months, 1 month in you handed in your 1 month notice (I understand teachers have a different notice period, just example) then that would be fine.

So I think initially the Dr would only sign me off for a two week period (spoke to them about the possibility of it a couple of years ago but ultimately spoke to my workplace instead who changed things for me to help with my mental health) and then see from there.

Teacher notice period in Scotland is only 4 weeks and you can leave at any point just like in any other job.

So if I were to get signed off I could still hand my notice in and I've done nothing wrong by doing it?

Also with attending interviews I would be fine to do that while on sick leave? I'm not fit to attend work but can still do other things.

All of the jobs I'm applying for are outside of teaching.

You'd have done nothing wrong. Not being fit to work doesn't mean not fit to interview. Handing in your notice would be fine. 

If you'd stayed in teaching, it could cause issues as the schools would be in contact off the record as well as formally and they may frown upon it. 

Edited by westlondonmist

Really feel what you are saying @Divorced Dad, the education sector is just an unholy level of stress and I'm feeling very much the same.

On that note, I have been offered another job and I'm not 100% sure what to do. Well I think I know but need some reassurance I guess. There are a lot of factors at play. When I applied for the job it was on a pay scale of x amount to x amount (the higher end being more than what I'm on now). When being offered the job today the manager said that I would be starting on the lowest wage as I was new to the organisation and they currently have  a pay freeze on due to Covid deficit. This means a 2k pay cut. However, this job is working from home and they are happy for me to do 5 days over 4 which will mean I only need to put my son in nursery for 3 days a week and I get to spend more time with him. The job is far less stressful and will be much better for my mental health. It is a huge national children's charity and the manager who is aware I am taking a pay cut said that there is lots of opportunity for promotion and moving in to different roles etc. I will get more doing 4 days at the new job than I would have doing 4 days at my current job (though this request was denied by current job)

My current job does pay more but is very stressful and I am really unhappy with how they have handled my (denied) flexible working request, there were false promises and it's left me feeling like a number on a piece of paper. The job is hugely stressful and inflexible though I do get half terms off so lots of holiday. There is no room for promotion and very little training given. I've applied for a couple of additional duty roles to bulk up my pay but have never got them, it's the type of place where opportunities are usually designed with a specific person in mind but they have to advertise to all of us and always pick the person the job was obviously designed for.

Additional factors are that we have just bought a new house, we are waiting to complete but the mortgage will be higher than our current one. My current place of work and my sons nursery are 3 minutes from our current home but 25 minutes without traffic from our new place so working from home will save hugely on commuting costs. Nurseries are more expensive in our new area but if I'm working 4 days, I only need to send him to nursery for 3 days however the prices average out the same due to the price rise in new area.

I think I want to take the new job for both flexibility and the  negative impact on my mental health of my current job. Am I making a mistake in taking a pay cut? 2k is hardly make or break but it will make things a little tighter but I keep thinking that I'll be saving money in the lack of commute.

Edited by deathrey

Without wanting to sound incredibly flippant (and I hate to say this sort of thing when so many people are struggling with so little) but £2,000 over a year really isn't that much of a difference IMO, and that money would be made back by your son not having to go nursery for an extra day right?

That new job sounds fantastic and much more convenient, flexible and all the things you are currently looking for (and have been refused). 

I know what I'd do, but it's a decent position to be in.

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

I'm terrible at maths but post tax & other deductions you'll be down like £140ish a month. So long as losing that isn't going to make things too tight to survive on, getting into a better place for your health, for time with your son, and potentially seeing your effort paid off in more job growth in future sounds absolutely worth it.

Yeah, I think it's about £125 a month which whilst I would like to have, isn't a huge amount, and hopefully I could make it up in a couple of years. Also, I get paid expenses any time I have to go anywhere for work that isn't my house which should also help. Even if I stayed in this role, in theory I should be able to move up the scale.

Every bit of me is saying taking the new job is the right decision, it's just that silly niggly bit that worries I'm taking a step backwards. Then I guess that's negated by the potential to be promoted. I've worked in the charity sector before and really enjoyed it, they seem to care so much more about the staff.

Edited by deathrey

• Paid Members

Soz if it’s been mentioned elsewhere and I’ve not spotted it.

So, you get paid £5k to watch every episode of the Simpsons, they cover your WiFi bills and free Disney plus for the duration of doing the job, and they send you a box of donuts every week too.

Holy fuck

edit: and I’ve just realised that the article is from a week ago. Old news.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/13/you-can-get-paid-5000-to-watch-the-simpsons-15416792/?ito=facebook|social|metroukfacebook&fbclid=IwAR2jW_8XwtE9_BdZbXOxOsXdrTtu3BjH7hoIFdIsx0MMqBVW4w_vXEDy6gk

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Awards Moderator
40 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Soz if it’s been mentioned elsewhere and I’ve not spotted it.

So, you get paid £5k to watch every episode of the Simpsons, they cover your WiFi bills and free Disney plus for the duration of doing the job, and they send you a box of donuts every week too.

Holy fuck

edit: and I’ve just realised that the article is from a week ago. Old news.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/13/you-can-get-paid-5000-to-watch-the-simpsons-15416792/?ito=facebook|social|metroukfacebook&fbclid=IwAR2jW_8XwtE9_BdZbXOxOsXdrTtu3BjH7hoIFdIsx0MMqBVW4w_vXEDy6gk

I might actually apply for this...

Gave evidence to the investigation team on Tuesday regarding my on going situation, sent a load of supporting evidence, so hopefully that will get looked at. gawd knows what the end result will be. I'm utterly down about the whole thing to be honest. 

In the interim I'm off work again because i fell and have utterly buggered my shoulder last Thursday. Fortunately nothing broken or dislocated, but a week later I'm still in agony.  Someone's mentioned a cuff tear, is that serious? Ordered a shoulder support and asked work for any software /physio support that can help get me back to work. 

I absolutely hate this year with a passion and would love something to be straightforward and not have 64 billion tonnes of additional stress. The other half's business nearly went to the wall the other week and we're both in need of extended rest, but have to keep working to pay bills etc. 

I'm so very frustrated at the moment. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I might actually apply for this...

They want you to make notes about how many things the Simpsons predicted. Like Trump becoming president etc. 

Not a clue why, but in reality, I’d watch anything for £5k and a weekly box of donuts, let alone the free WiFi and Disney plus.

If only someone would offer similar for watching Strike it Lucky or My Kind of Music, then Astro would be laughing.