Work

Tommy!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

Thanks both. In this instance the role is with a very small company and it would appear all conversations will be held with the owner who advertised the role herself. As it’s not a particularly intensive job application, I’m tempted to apply and have the conversation if and when I’m invited to interview.

Exactly when to do it. And it is just about avoiding wasting both of your time. If their maximum is £5k less than you're willing to accept, probably no point having the conversation.

9 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, not advertising the salary is their way of paying as little as possible. Know your worth and don’t undervalue yourself. 

To be honest, it would be a complete change of career for me and an entry level role, so I’m not expecting them to match what I’m currently on but I’d at least like a ball park beforehand.

But yeah, you’re right, I usually avoid adverts without a salary as it’s usually shit pay. In this instance it’s a career I’m really interested in which offers a fair amount of growth so I’m willing to hear their offer.

I've always hated "we offer a competitive salary". What the fuck does that mean? I really don't see the point of it, they could interview, pick you and then you don't want it due to pay. I've been annoyed more when agencies contact me not knowing pay, you would think they would demand the pay from them. They don't even have to be exact, they can advertise a band at least. 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:10 PM, Briefcase said:

Applied for a job internally which is advertised as 60% based in head office & 40% based at home. Interview went really well yesterday BUT the sticking point (for them, not me) is that its 90 miles each way commute (I do drive) and I've had the interview manager and business partner get me on a call today to say they didn't realise I lived that far (although the recruitment advisor knew and obviously I did) and they are concerned that travel will be too much and almost questioned if this is the right job for me but without actually saying whether I have got the job or not.

Where do I stand on this? I was considering moving anyway which isn't an issue but its a catch 22 where I am not going to move anywhere until I have the job, but personally travelling 3 days wouldn't be a big issue and I could always book myself a hotel anyway if push comes to shove. 

They are going to call me back tomorrow but not really sure they can say I haven't got the job based on location/distance can they? This is the same company by the way where regional/district managers travel from the likes of Newcastle to London, Ipswich to London, Wales to London etc. Has really irked me to be honest and I even said that for training I am happy to do 5 days in the office and stay over as financially I won't be at a loss as the salary is an increase anyway. 

Update on this.

I still haven't heard back yet.

I am going with the no news is probably bad news but given its an internal role I am going to just say nothing and maybe in a week or two ask what the hell is happening. 

Keeping on topic I also hate job adverts that don't specify pay, I'm surprised in this day and age there isn't a law or rule around this. 

• Moderators

Competitive pay can be worked around by not telling them what you currently make or not telling them what your expectations are. It infuriates recruiters, but they know what their target comp is so just push it back on them.

Just a bit of a moan from me. I had a meeting about my return to work from maternity today. I've requested flexible working, put it in writing and requested to meet with the head to discuss my ideas for what they could do to cover me on my day off (I want to go from 5 days a week to 4 days). I ended up meeting with the deputy head in charge of HR and she was so passive aggressive about the whole thing. Kept batting back all my ideas as not feasible (though they are, they just dont want to do it) - my ideas involved things like using it as a training opportunity for someone in a lower role (people internally who had applied for my role during maternity and told they didnt have enough experience). I did take the Union with me but I'm not going to be holding my breath. Think I'm going to have to start looking for a new job. I really want to get put of education but all my work experience is in education/safeguarding/social services so I have no idea what I can do that will pay enough to cover the mortgage/childcare.

45 minutes ago, deathrey said:

Just a bit of a moan from me. I had a meeting about my return to work from maternity today. I've requested flexible working, put it in writing and requested to meet with the head to discuss my ideas for what they could do to cover me on my day off (I want to go from 5 days a week to 4 days). I ended up meeting with the deputy head in charge of HR and she was so passive aggressive about the whole thing. Kept batting back all my ideas as not feasible (though they are, they just dont want to do it) - my ideas involved things like using it as a training opportunity for someone in a lower role (people internally who had applied for my role during maternity and told they didnt have enough experience). I did take the Union with me but I'm not going to be holding my breath. Think I'm going to have to start looking for a new job. I really want to get put of education but all my work experience is in education/safeguarding/social services so I have no idea what I can do that will pay enough to cover the mortgage/childcare.

I'm really sorry to hear that. My partner had issues like this, eventually the organisation agreed but it basically involved her maternity cover being promoted above her. I wasn't surprised the CEO had been vocal in the past about how she viewed women having kids in the organisation. My partner had worked there 11 years and done free overtime almost every day. 

In this day and age organisations should be helping mums return from maternity. 

If you have further problems look into the charity Pregnant then screwed. 

My mate actually had negative feedback for asking what the salary range would be in an interview during the ‘do you have any questions’ period of the interview. Apparently it made him seem financially motivated, unlike all the other potential Aldi managers who I assume do it for the love of the job.

Edited by Mr_Danger

7 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

My mate actually had negative feedback for asking what the salary range would be in an interview during the ‘do you have any questions’ period of the interview. Apparently it made him seem financially motivated, unlike all the other potential Aldi managers who I assume do it for the love of the job.

They are paid very fucking well, so I imagine that makes up for having to keep the random items piled high in the middle aisle.

3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I've had that feedback a couple of times. It's not uncommon, and why I stopped applying for anything where I didn't know a pay bracket in advance. 

2 hours ago, westlondonmist said:

I'm really sorry to hear that. My partner had issues like this, eventually the organisation agreed but it basically involved her maternity cover being promoted above her. I wasn't surprised the CEO had been vocal in the past about how she viewed women having kids in the organisation. My partner had worked there 11 years and done free overtime almost every day. 

In this day and age organisations should be helping mums return from maternity. 

If you have further problems look into the charity Pregnant then screwed. 

Thank you. I am aware of Pregnant then Screwed and I am thinking of contacting them but not sure I'll have much of a case. Schools are notoriously difficult for this kind of thing, particularly with non-teaching staff like myself.

18 hours ago, Briefcase said:

Update on this.

I still haven't heard back yet.

I am going with the no news is probably bad news but given its an internal role I am going to just say nothing and maybe in a week or two ask what the hell is happening. 

Keeping on topic I also hate job adverts that don't specify pay, I'm surprised in this day and age there isn't a law or rule around this. 

So got the phone call to say that I haven't been successful because of the commute concerns. 

A bit frustrating as they said that if I lived closer I would have been the ideal candidate. Even more frustrating that they asked me to go all the way up there in the first place for the interview as they knew where I lived so feels like a waste of time in that respect.

I suppose on the plus side the next time they ask me to travel anywhere over an hour, whether for a meeting or to support I will say its too long a commute. Yes I am going to be a bitter bastard from now on.

3 hours ago, Briefcase said:

So got the phone call to say that I haven't been successful because of the commute concerns. 

A bit frustrating as they said that if I lived closer I would have been the ideal candidate. Even more frustrating that they asked me to go all the way up there in the first place for the interview as they knew where I lived so feels like a waste of time in that respect.

I suppose on the plus side the next time they ask me to travel anywhere over an hour, whether for a meeting or to support I will say its too long a commute. Yes I am going to be a bitter bastard from now on.

There are positives to that feedback. If a more local senior role comes about it sounds like they feel you are important and they probably invited you for the interview as they felt you deserved the right to show yourself. 

Figure I'll ask for some advice here:

I have been offered two jobs. One of which kind of went on hold because one of the people involved in recruiting for it went on paternity leave. In the meantime, I have been offered a position somewhere else. The one I was offered yesterday is a higher "title", but slightly less money than the one I got offered today. The one I was offered today is wfh most of the time, while the one I was offered yesterday is in office full time. I hate working in office, I want more money. So this should be an easy decision, right?

Except the one I was offered yesterday was through a recruiter and I had two interviews and they've sent me the contract to sign and everything. And I feel like a dick telling them, actually, some other job that I didn't even mention has made an offer and you can't match it unless you're willing to go against what you were looking for in terms of wfh vs in office. Has anyone had to navigate this sort of thing before? I'm screwing the recruiter out of commission here, I'm sure.