Work

Tommy!

1 minute ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

All this will be irrelevant if they don’t want me. I think the pros outweigh the cons but if they offer it I’ll definitely need the weekend to mull it over. That’s allowed, isn’t it?

Yep. Until you’ve signed that contract it’s your decision. It’s not uncommon for people to have an offer and take that offer to their current employer and say “Do better or I’m off”. It’s a big decision so it would be unreasonable to expect an answer there and then. 

8 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yep. Until you’ve signed that contract it’s your decision. It’s not uncommon for people to have an offer and take that offer to their current employer and say “Do better or I’m off”. It’s a big decision so it would be unreasonable to expect an answer there and then. 

Every company is different, but the counter offer is always, to me, someone to distrust (maybe that's not the right word but its early)

"Hello manager, I've been offered ÂŁ50,000 elsewhere. I'm thinking of going"

"Oh drone, don't leave. We'll match or better your current pay and give you some extra responsibilities, as we value you so much"

"OK, so why has it taken for me to tell you I'm leaving for you to decide/relay this to me? If you valued me that much, you would've acted earlier"

"........."

Not always that black or white of course, but it's always something to be considered. But then I was recruitment scum that used to put that thought on my candidates heads as I'd want them to leave their job for my personal gain.

Best of luck @HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I've done that at my current job, but less as a "pay me this or I'm off" and more of a "we're underpaying for these roles, and the proof is here where I've just been offered significantly more to do the same job elsewhere" that ultimately resulted in them changing their pay banding entirely. Nice for me because I like my job and don't want to leave it, but also a good thing that makes it easier for us to get new hires

10 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

People even sign contracts and then back out before starting.......happens all the time. 

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Every company is different, but the counter offer is always, to me, someone to distrust (maybe that's not the right word but its early)

"Hello manager, I've been offered ÂŁ50,000 elsewhere. I'm thinking of going"

"Oh drone, don't leave. We'll match or better your current pay and give you some extra responsibilities, as we value you so much"

"OK, so why has it taken for me to tell you I'm leaving for you to decide/relay this to me? If you valued me that much, you would've acted earlier"

"........."

Not always that black or white of course, but it's always something to be considered. But then I was recruitment scum that used to put that thought on my candidates heads as I'd want them to leave their job for my personal gain.

Best of luck @HarmonicGenerator

I take a different view. Of course every company is different, but we all work with different budget constraints, labour turnover challenges and different roles will be business critical to the organisations success. That means that company's will have some roles and functions that they will be prepared to pay over the market rate for to attract and retain, while there will be other roles that they are prepared to pay under the market rate for an accept higher turnover or accept that they may need to counter offer on a case by case basis.

My company is no different, and I have certain departments where we pay very generously and others where we do ongoing candidate sourcing as we accept higher turnover as we are not competitive on the salaries front, but I'm also open to counter offers if I can eye ball the job offer and it makes sense to do so. 

I've heard so many recruitment consultants use that argument - don't accept a counter offer, they didn't value enough in the first place.........but they only play that card as they don't want you to turn down the new role and lose them commission. 

I've personally done this once myself in 2014 - gone back to my employer with a job offer in hand and let them make me an offer to stay - got a 20% pay rise and promotion out of it and I had zero regrets. I wouldn't take it personally - your compensation package is always a negotiation and these scenarios give you leverage - so let it play out, it's just business. 

21 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

I've heard so many recruitment consultants use that argument - don't accept a counter offer, they didn't value enough in the first place.........but they only play that card as they don't want you to turn down the new role and lose them commission. 

Which I did state in my post. My job was to make money for my company, but also do the best for the candidate. 

I worked in a very solution focused role that dealt with long term, sustainable roles and often my candidates would become my clients and hiring managers so I always tried to do the best by them.

I've even (off the record) advised people to NOT take jobs, even though it affected my bonus, target, P&L etc as I wanted to do the right thing by them. If you know something about a company you're recruiting for and don't disclose it to your candidate, then that's not right in my opinion.

Again, like I said, it's not always that black and white, and I'm not saying 'counter offers are evil' but its always something to consider and mull over.

6 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Well, I got offered it. Really don’t know what to do and how it all weighs up for me. Anyone got any tips on how to make difficult decisions?

You really just need to sit down and figure out if the pros outweigh the cons and what's important to you at this stage of your life. Jobs sometimes come along at the wrong time where they would've been far easier to take at a younger age with less commitments and ties etc. I'd always just sit down, look at the two lists and then try and decide what's the most valuable and important factors to you and your situation. It'll still be a difficult decision but at least it'll be a far more informed one.

Another one for me is thinking about how much I'd regret turning it down. Would it really bother you? How do you think you'll feel a few weeks down the line knowing you didn't take it? Often it's very much which one do you think you'd regret more - staying or going..

• Moderators

It sounds like you're at a stage in your career where you've got some pretty good experience and finding a job isn't a crazy game of chance. I say all other things being equal if you really still can't decide I'd err on the side of giving it a chance.

You're already not really that happy where your are now. Worst case scenario it sucks but at least the novelty of it being new should keep you going for a while which is better than being somewhere you already know sucks. And then you start the process again and find a different job.

That's always been my approach. It's always good experience to work somewhere new.

Fuck gettting a train to work, take the new job! Seriously though it’s not just travel expenses you’ll make money on, that time you take to do the travelling is pretty valuable. I’m not career minded in the slightest but I assume you’ll make at least 5 hours a week up by not getting trains to work. It’s like getting a half day off every week.

3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Well, I got offered it. Really don’t know what to do and how it all weighs up for me. Anyone got any tips on how to make difficult decisions?

Follow your heart. I was offered a new job a few months back and got convinced to stay at my current job which I now know was a mistake. My head won out. 

• Awards Moderator

I'm an old man now @HarmonicGeneratorand have done a lot of jobs. Providing the basics of pay and location are met, two things are important to me: will I learn something and what's my boss like?

Learning something new interests me. And regardless of the job your immediate manager makes or breaks the role. They can make your life hell, protect you or nurture you. 

That's what works for me. 

8 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I'm an old man now @HarmonicGeneratorand have done a lot of jobs. Providing the basics of pay and location are met, two things are important to me: will I learn something and what's my boss like?

Learning something new interests me. And regardless of the job your immediate manager makes or breaks the role. They can make your life hell, protect you or nurture you. 

That's what works for me. 

A manager will probably have more effect on your mental health than a doctor will do over a lifetime. 

Been working for a waste and recycling contractor for a council, shit money but loved it. It was maternity cover only, well 2 maternity covers. Another council now wants me to be part of their environmental team paying 13.5k more for less hours. I'm over the fucking moon, a couple of weeks ago I was shitting my pants about where the next pay check was coming from after my temp job ends in October. 

Honestly never saw myself working in waste, recycling and environment but the maternity cover was so educational and really made me want to stay. So glad I have the chance. The hours also enable me to do childcare drop offs and pick ups and not dump it all on my partner.