Work

Tommy!

Don't take it personally HG (know that's easier said than done). I've sat on the panel for more than 1 interview where the main interviewer already knew who they wanted to hire. Fuck 'em. You will find something. And if they don't recognise you as being worth the investment from the start then they probably aren't worth the investment of your time and effort either. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

This is the immediate post-rejection depression talking but I don't think it ever will. One of those rejections was a job I was completely qualified for. I hit every criteria they were looking for, and the feedback I got was that I didn't have enough management experience despite me having had ten years' management experience in a much bigger organisation than they were. How am I supposed to take that?! Shit.

Yeah, keep your head up. Definitely the post-rejection blues.

I had a similar scenario last year. Applied for a role at Shopify where my experience and skillset was literally a match, point-for-point, for what the job description was asking for. Didn’t even get an interview. Replied seeking feedback on why my application wasn’t progressed when on paper I seemed a match, and got a silly answer back in that I didn’t do anything above and beyond submitting my résumé and cover letter that set me apart from other candidates… despite their application form just having upload fields for a résumé and cover letter. So got a bit of a hump on that they’ll happily turn qualified candidates down for roles because they didn’t know about some secret “Impress us!” rule when applying.

A couple of months later, I was head-hunted to join a tech team by Pfizer, and promoted within six months from senior engineer to leading my own tech team for a key internal digital transformation project. So yeah, try not to get too down and something better may be just around the corner as the old saying goes!

• Paid Members

Some companies can be really weird with their hiring processes.

Despite having worked at a reasonably high level as a Chef, I applied for a couple of KP jobs in care homes near me. It was significantly less money but far better hours and both are pretty much on my doorstep. I never even got to the interview stage. One was an immediate rejection and the other didn't even bother replying. I assume that they decided that I was overqualified and that I'd fuck off if I got a better offer, but isn't that what interviews are for? It's only been a couple of months and I've seen both places re-advertising the jobs a few times already.

On the plus side, my current job as a Support Worker is amazing. More money than I used to be on but half the hours and a feeling that I'm actually helping people. I'd happily do a lot of it for free.

• Paid Members

The last job I didn't get, I'd gotten my hopes up a bit much because when they sent the generic feedback out to all the applicants, all the correct answers to the competency based part were spot on with what I'd put.

I got even more excited when they rang and gave me some specific feedback, and mentioned that the generic feedback was actually based on the "model answers" I'd given.

And then they said no, but I should try again because if I can show suitable competency, then there's no reason I shouldn't be successful. 

Bleh.

Have an interview upcoming for a writing gig I'm more than capable of. Unfortunately, I am completely drowning in anxiety about the interview and the judgment that goes with it. I completely suck at interviews. I write, that's my thing. But the interview will be a mess. It always is. Sorry, just venting.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

Some companies can be really weird with their hiring processes.

Despite having worked at a reasonably high level as a Chef, I applied for a couple of KP jobs in care homes near me. It was significantly less money but far better hours and both are pretty much on my doorstep. I never even got to the interview stage. One was an immediate rejection and the other didn't even bother replying. I assume that they decided that I was overqualified and that I'd fuck off if I got a better offer, but isn't that what interviews are for? It's only been a couple of months and I've seen both places re-advertising the jobs a few times already.

Worth sending a cover letter for jobs you might be overqualified stating in more flowery language that you won't just fuck off as soon as a better job comes along. 

4 hours ago, AshC said:

Have an interview upcoming for a writing gig I'm more than capable of. Unfortunately, I am completely drowning in anxiety about the interview and the judgment that goes with it. I completely suck at interviews. I write, that's my thing. But the interview will be a mess. It always is. Sorry, just venting.

I understand that feeling completely.

Try not to overstate its importance, if you don't get it its fine, there will be other opportunities. I know that's easier said than done. 

5 hours ago, AshC said:

If Twitter has taught me anything it’s that you’ll look super hip and cool if instead of referring to it as “writing” you refer to it as “doing words”.

5 hours ago, AshC said:

Tried sending you a message but says you cant receive them.

If you (actually any of you) want to ask any questions or have a chat on the phone/zoom etc about anything to do with interviews/CVs/anything to do with applying or going through a process, I'd be happy to help if I can. 

So one week since reopening without masks (we're not even allowed to encourage or ask) and we still haven't got the new risk assessment that was promised. 

In the meantime we've been told to add a whole new additional risk (restore all furniture and allow people to stay as long as they want). 

Would have been nice if they accessed the last risks before adding whole new ones. 

• Paid Members

I work for a global asset manager. They've been stringing us along for months about what the plan is in terms of wfh going forward. They are playing chicken with other companies, not wanting to be the first to commit. That's completely fair enough.

Global town hall held the other day (they are awful) and a slide got thrown up saying 'we expect people to be working 2-3 days a week in the office.'

Quality. So naturally, I and all my chums said 'two days in the office please'. 

Now we are being told 'oh no, its two TO three'. Some of the Directors in our wider team have already said 'we're doing two'. Yet when the low end staff try to say the same, there's a ton of resistance to it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, marc2j said:

Some of the Directors in our wider team have already said 'we're doing two'. Yet when the low end staff try to say the same, there's a ton of resistance to it.

Reminds me of my boss in my second-to-last job.

Company had a “lax” work from home policy (basically: they said you could if you needed to, but no one actually did). Someone decided to work from home one day. Boss then sent an email the very next morning saying any working from home requests needed authorisation from a director, and he then worked from home that very day. Basically it was taken by staff as a, “I can work from home because I’m the boss but you can’t” dick swing.

Awful company and was only there a few months.

10 hours ago, marc2j said:

Now we are being told 'oh no, its two TO three'

It’s either two or it’s three. There are no halves. Either you’re in the office two days, or you’re in it three. Even if you have two full days in the office and then in the office for an hour the next day, you’re still going in for three days. 

I bet they’re big Robin Van Persie fans. 

• Paid Members

My company are developing different rules for different departments, depending on things like shift patterns and the like. I spoke to someone who's in a Monday to Friday department (I'm shift based) and they've apparently been told they'll have to do 3 days every week, with Monday as definite day in the office (We've been told we'll be in 2 days per fortnight) .To say they were fucked off is an understatement, and the rumour is that a senior manager in their department was pushing for them to be in the office 100%. I think once senior managers come to try to enforce this, they're going to get a shock when they see people fuck off to other jobs that will be more flexible.