Work

Tommy!

They didn't. They do now. 

Essentially:

A) Union fucked up by not doing a blind carbon copy. A lot of people aren't comfortable with senior managers knowing that they're union members.

B) A union member fucked up by sending that data onto senior managers who had no right to know. 

C) Everyone's gonna think senior management asked for that email. Especially since they asked to go to the meeting. Which isn't a great look when you're trying to say that you're not intimidating or bullying staff. 

Starting a new job Monday morning (9am, absolute PEAK timing Bacon). Have been through quite a lot of upheaval recently with personal things and issues (won't go into here) so am leaving the world of retail and back into employment services.

Now working for a business that focuses on helping the long term unemployed and those facing barriers to employment, and hopefully getting  them back into work. I am ridiculously excited to get back into this field, without the stress of having a target of £60,000+ a quarter to focus on, as it's a not-for-profit. 

It's also a rapidly growing business so I'm hoping there's scope for progression (They already offered me a higher banded job than I initially applied for) so this is the stability I need. 

I will say that long term this isn't my overall goal, something incredibly left field is, but I am really looking forward to it, and hope I can help those that need it.

That start date and time though...ffs...

3 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Starting a new job Monday morning (9am, absolute PEAK timing Bacon). Have been through quite a lot of upheaval recently with personal things and issues (won't go into here) so am leaving the world of retail and back into employment services.

Now working for a business that focuses on helping the long term unemployed and those facing barriers to employment, and hopefully getting  them back into work. I am ridiculously excited to get back into this field, without the stress of having a target of £60,000+ a quarter to focus on, as it's a not-for-profit. 

It's also a rapidly growing business so I'm hoping there's scope for progression (They already offered me a higher banded job than I initially applied for) so this is the stability I need. 

I will say that long term this isn't my overall goal, something incredibly left field is, but I am really looking forward to it, and hope I can help those that need it.

That start date and time though...ffs...

3rd Sector/Not for profit/charity sector is phenomenonal tbh. Freedoms in work that I've never had in private sector work and a very real sense of making a difference in people's lives. 

Don't think I'd ever go back to the fully corporate/private sector world. 

Good luck sounds like an amazing opportunity. 

36 minutes ago, patiirc said:

3rd Sector/Not for profit/charity sector is phenomenonal tbh. Freedoms in work that I've never had in private sector work and a very real sense of making a difference in people's lives. 

Don't think I'd ever go back to the fully corporate/private sector world. 

Good luck sounds like an amazing opportunity. 

Thanks Pat, very kind of you to say so.

I worked for quite a few years for not for profit housing organisations before I went into the private sector so I've experienced both sides.

They both have their pros and cons, but this sounds and looks like a business with a very clear structure and plan which I'm happy about. That's really important to me. Can't wait to get started.

48 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Congratulations bacon! You should just skip the footie, get an early night so you're nice and fresh for your first day 👍🏽

Cheers dude. Luckily I'm at home for the first two weeks and Monday I just have a Zoom at 9 for 30 minutes and then online training all day, so I only need to tough it out for half an hour!

I love that I get to wear shorts for work everyday and that I only have to deal with managers for a couple of hours a day but you Zoom fuckers really hit the jackpot this pandemic. No pants for work is the absolute dream. One of ours got sacked for persistently wearing nothing under his hi-vis so no pants/shorts would be a no no.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to sulk about work because that's all I ever seem to do.

So, union did a survey. 98% of the department I work for think bullying is an issue in the department. The most identified source of that bullying is from senior management. 

HR have been asked to create an independent and anonymous survey to gather information. 

The survey doesn't mention bullying once.

The survey is about "team members" and doesn't say what it means by team members. I had to ask HR. Its your peers, not anyone above you (where the problem was identified).

It asks for your name and email address. Which seemed odd for an anonymous survey. I asked why. They want to make sure that they have a response from each branch. I asked why it couldn't just say "what branch do you work at" (which isn't much better I know) and they said "it's not perfect but hopefully it will gather some useful information."

The place is fucked right? Like, if your HR department are doing that in response to allegations of bullying there's no hope right? Kinda trying to decide whether to just jack the job in.

We used to do those great place to work surveys when I worked in Iceland and when I was doing the management training scheme 100% of the managers I worked with told me that other managers had opened the surveys and read them. A couple even doctored them.  I just lie and say I posted mine now I’m at Royal Mail. 

An anonymous survey that asks for your name and email address........sometimes I really worry about some of the people in my profession!

@Vamp - your HR team needs to bring in an independent third party to help resolve such workplace conflict and mediate. Only that could be mutually agreeable between the union and employer. Either side that felt that was not a fair way to go is being wholly unreasonable.   

Edited by MPDTT

Thank you guys for confirming that its not right. 

This is really pathetic but I really needed it. Whenever I ask questions or challenge something my line manager suggests I'm being unreasonable because of my depression. For a while I was talking to someone from Remploy (they try and keep disabled people in work). I'd tell her what happened, and even though it wasn't her job, she'd often tell me that she felt I was being reasonable and that they weren't. She was also talking to other staff who were telling her similar things. Work made me feel like I was cracking up and she was able to make me think that I wasn't.

Those sessions have finished (it's a free service) and I'm a bit lost again. My mind is going to places it shouldn't. I just needed to write it out and have some people who don't know me assess it.