Work

Tommy!

5 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

It may be a pretty big drop in salary too but a former restaurant manager is currantly working there and is 3 quarters of a way she said to getting me what my salary currantly is. It's pretty much no brainer. Let's hope my formar manager can sort that out for me. Fingers crossed. 

See if you can get a raisin before you go! But seriously, what price do you put on your own happiness and well-being. Hope it works out well for you!

@King of Hamptons, it sounds like the new role will give you a lot more time back also, thats a huge advantage. 

If you reckon you will be happier in the new role then thats also a major plus. 

I worked as a landscape gardener for a bit and while it was physically tough, i was fit as a fiddle in no time.

Hope it all works out,

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I've been offered a new job, which has been really quite a big thing for me. While I like quite a lot of the people I work with, I don't like the industry I'm in. I've been looking for two and a half years now - I've not been able to take a major pay-cut, but I have been willing to take a slight one. Ideally, I'd find something on the same level or above.

The frustrating thing is that I've clearly been a good candidate. I've honestly lost count of how many times I've been the second-last candidate in a process. Which has also meant I've been through a LOT of the entire processes which, in marketing, usually means (at least) multiple interviews with different people, a writing task and a strategy presentation. 

The new job offer came off the back of one of those long processes last year. It was a two-and-a-half month process, with lots of stages. They said they'd keep my details on file and if something suitable came up, they'd get back in touch. Which is something people always say and never do.

And then... they did. And when I said the process being so long and involved the last time made me hesitant to apply, they told me it was just a talk with the hiring manager, who then offered me the job. Turns out (I think) the reason it was so involved the first time around was that there were two people involved in the hiring - one wanted me, one wanted the other candidate. And the guy that wanted me, since then, got promoted and a new role came up. So I start in a couple of months.

One thing I've learned is that some places have absolutely shit processes. It's a lousy market out there, which means employers have their picks - meaning they don't need to be good at the process, and they can go unicorn-hunting as much as they want with no pushback.

I was turned down from one job because I talked too much about things on a team level and they were looking for a leader. The very next final-stage interview, I was told I seemed like too much of an assured self-starter and they were looking for a team-player. (Frustratingly, I'm as much a team-player as you could find, but they never asked a question that let me talk about that). Another time, after multiple interviews, I was asked to write a short piece confirming that I was available and that I wanted the job - to which a different person emailed me back telling me they'd decided to go with someone with more specific experience. Which was just insulting.

So, if you're in the middle of this kind of process and finding that it sucks, it does. It's not you. And it's exhausting and demoralising. And I hope I don't have to do it again for a little while.

I find it interesting that previous companies gave you feedback about why you were unsuccessful ...

i always thought that was a huge no-no.

Congrats though and well done, its a great vote of confidence that you have someone in your corner in the guy that wanted you initially . He will want you to do well also if he has gone to bat for you. 

Edited by RancidPunx

21 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

I find it interesting that previous companies gave you feedback about why you were unsuccessful ...

i always thought that was a huge no-no.

It's probably the most important thing a hiring company can do for you, and it is REALLY easy to do for them. It takes minutes, but is invaluable to the candidate to learn and develop.

I can understand why not every business can do it for everyone or every role, but when you're going through anything more than a two stage process, and ESPECIALLY if you've been asked to take on a creative assignment that could potentially be used at a later date (hello Brewdog), then there really is no excuse not to.

It is absolutely an employers market out there, but remember, YOU are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you, no matter what. Good communication goes both ways.

Best of luck @Chris B

• Paid Members

I got promoted in March after being at my firm for seven years. I work in asset management and I'm now a manager. I will have an intern start reporting into me from next month, which is great. But its proper shone a light on our process for me. We are a global firm and 3/5 of the applicants were relatives of people who already work here, with some pretty pushy calls from some senior people asking me to see their particular relative etc. The thing we do, that is really good, is we are forced to give feedback on every interview we do which is available to provide back to our candidates who dont get through to the next stage. So, Ive spent some time writing that up, which hopefully will help.

Which brings me to my favourite interview bits.

One of our scripted questions was to ask 'describe yourself in three words'. Not ONE of the youngsters could do it. Not one. Every one of them gives it 'I'm a very dependable person'. Or my favourite one was  'I'm a great listener'. No. No you aren't.

But my very favourite was a youngster who clearly had no business being in my interview process as he didnt really have relevant experience and it didn't make sense but HR pushed him through anyways.

'How have you improved efficiencies and processes in your current role?'

'Well, when I first joined I noticed how full up the filing cabinet was. So I went out of my way to ask the boss if we could buy a SECOND filing cabinet',

Oh. I see. He didnt get the job. Bless him.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Chris B said:

It's a lousy market out there, which means employers have their picks - meaning they don't need to be good at the process, and they can go unicorn-hunting as much as they want with no pushback.

This is the complete reverse of the current software engineering market. I'm hiring right now and even contacting people after reviewing their CV a lot have already accepted a position elsewhere. If you do get someone in for an interview and you like them then you basically need to make them an offer within a day else they are gone.

3 minutes ago, neil said:

This is the complete reverse of the current software engineering market. I'm hiring right now and even contacting people after reviewing their CV a lot have already accepted a position elsewhere. If you do get someone in for an interview and you like them then you basically need to make them an offer within a day else they are gone.

I have never ever understood why businesses have such long, drawn out hiring processes. After 3 or 4 rounds, what are you looking for? Honestly.

It quite rightly puts people off, and just maximises the risk of buy back/counter offers. All you need to know is can they actually do the job and culturally would they be the right fit? If it's that difficult for you to do that in one interview, then make the interview slightly longer and include all the major internal colleagues they'll be dealing with.

Or make it quicker. I once had 4 interviews for a process, but it was all done within 4 days. Couldn't meet my manager, so met another Director and he hired me. Streamlined and simple.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, marc2j said:

Which brings me to my favourite interview bits.

One of our scripted questions was to ask 'describe yourself in three words'. Not ONE of the youngsters could do it. Not one. 

I doubt I could either, nor can I think of a single way that being able to do so would benefit me in this or any other job I have ever done. 

1 hour ago, marc2j said:

Well, when I first joined I noticed how full up the filing cabinet was. So I went out of my way to ask the boss if we could buy a SECOND filing cabinet'

Initiative, nous, commercial acumen, awareness of his working environment. I would've hired him on the spot and made him CEO within a year.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I doubt I could either, nor can I think of a single way that being able to do so would benefit me in this or any other job I have ever done. 

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, marc2j said:

One of our scripted questions was to ask 'describe yourself in three words'. Not ONE of the youngsters could do it. Not one. Every one of them gives it 'I'm a very dependable person'. Or my favourite one was  'I'm a great listener'. No. No you aren't.

I answered "Concise", then I raised an eyebrow and walked out. They called me back and offered me the job immediately.*

*every LinkedIn post.