Work

Tommy!

16 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Apparently someone in the office I work in who came in last week has now tested positive for the 'VID. That's probably going to delay our "touchdown" day.  

I hope they write a heartfelt apology to Prets landlords. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I've been back in work for about 6 weeks now. Next week I've been asked to keep leading the shift I've been covering, ahead of the actual shift leader who's covering another department, which is usually what I end up getting asked to do. My manager has also said he's seen I'm a little more confident since I got back and am smaller than I was, and that the director of operations (unfortunately not Kane) is impressed by how I've been performing. He started while I was on furlough. My other half reckons a promotion to shift leader looms in my future, but I don't think my manager will want to stick me in just one job because of the training I have in covering other departments. I'm just plodding on with whatever I get given to do. 

• Paid Members

Three months into my new job in a prison. Wasn't sure what to expect when I accepted the job offer as I've never done anything like this, but thought fuck it, I don't have to stick around if it's not for me.

Ambulances being called every day because prisoners are drinking hooch they've made from hand sanitizer. Narrowly had a cup of piss miss me on my first week after someone flung it out their cell obvs panel. Had a mini riot the other week when about 10 or so prisoners burst past the officers and started jumping on the netting. 

Absolutely out of my comfort zone but I'm really enjoying it up to now. By far the most interesting job I've ever had!

• Paid Members

Cheers, @Ralphy. I guess it's just that I don't want to get myself all hyped up for something tgat may kit happen. I also still don't quite think I'm at the level I'd need to be at to do the job required on a permanent basis. I like what I do now because it can be varied. Although I'd certainly give it a go to see whether I can do it. 

• Paid Members
On 8/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, King Coconut said:

Your cafes and tapas bars would also probably boom with the increase in colleagues meeting up to touch base over a cappachoochoo. 

Largely the opposite, in my experience - one of my best friends runs a small independent cafe, and lockdown/people working from home absolutely fucked him. On a normal day, he makes close to 50% of his daily income between 7.30am and 9.00am from people grabbing a coffee on their way to the office. Without people going in to work, that isn't happening.

There has been a slight improvement on his immediate post-lockdown earnings from more people going back to the office, and from the odd person who still works remotely but wants a change of scenery from sitting at home, so either has meetings in the coffee shop, or sits there all day with a laptop, but nothing compared to his normal earnings.

You can ask anyone who runs a cafe, or spends a fair bit of time in one, and they'll tell you that laptop wankers are some of their least favourite customers. Because it usually means that you have one bloke sat at a table all day, but only having three or four drinks, and if you've got limited space, that table being occupied could mean other potential customers being turned away. 

• Paid Members

Found out about a month back that I was at risk of being made redundant due to, you know, 2020... This morning the parent company have offered me a job at a different site, its less pay, but doing something I'm more likely to enjoy. And its not even 5 minutes walk from my house!

Relieved isn't the word. I was really dreading Christmas. It may be a little hard due to the pay decrease, but its better than the dole.

Easiest place I could think of for this particular work related conundrum.

Just over a year ago my place of work changed our shift patterns. We had a full shift made redundant, going from four to three shifts. The new pattern was for a 5 day week, 3 lots of 8 hour shifts.

A year in, the vast majority of the staff force are miserable. We're all more or less, a longer hour/more days off group of guys than a shorter hours/less days off. A question has recently been posed in a staff meeting of perhaps going back to a 12 hour shift pattern (with three shifts employed). It appears work are quite receptive to the idea, but want us to come up with a pattern. Is there any website out there that specifies specific shift patterns. Google searches just tend to throw out a 4 on 4 off or similar to what we're currently on. 

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated. 

Edit.. should add that a small percentage of the work force (less than 10%) are currently happy enough with the present pattern. Where do we stand as well regards union representation in this scenario as our F.O.C is in this small group and isn't open for any discussion trying to find a happy medium.

Edited by Mikeymike83
More info.

• 2 months later...