Work

Tommy!

Someone I know is long term sick and won’t be returning to their work. However they haven’t been able to claim benefits because they’re still on the payroll. Their manager says they are on the payroll so that she can be retired when she is fit enough to return. It really sounds to me like the employer has been claiming furlough money and trousering it. Is there any way to check if that’s the case?

Furlough is administered (sorry for the wank speak) via HMRC. Unfortunately if the employer is telling the HMRC that the person is receiving money then the DWP will pick it up as there is a shared system that is used when working out UC payments. The person can dispute this (the amount of earnings used for payment NOT the employer being a shit) with DWP, although I'm not sure how long this would take to resolve.

If the employer is trousering it then I suggest that a call to HMRC fraud would be the best course of action, unfortunately with such little checks in place and the huge amounts (speculated) of fraud it will be a while before it gets picked up.

I've just googled this link, not sure if it's any good https://www.twobirds.com/en/news/articles/2020/uk/covid-19-what-should-i-do-if-hmrc-suspect-my-business-of-furlough-fraud

EDIT - that link is for a lawyer by the looks of it. In that case I'd suggest a call to HMRC fraud.

Edited by stewdogg

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Is she getting payslips? Furlough pay has its own line on our payslips, no idea if that’s standard or just something our company does 

It appears on mine as well.

@Keith Houchen If she's not getting payslips then I'd get her to check her Income Tax at https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-income-tax/income-summary (though you need to sign up) and she'll be able to check what her employers are declaring that she's being paid every month.

It does sound really really dodgy though. Are they paying her any sick pay or anything? How do they expect her to live?

Edited by unfitfinlay

Thanks guys, that’s some good information. Without naming names, she is the manager for a charity shop which is like a society that prevents cruelty to animals. It’s essentially been a constructive dismissal that been going on for years because the area manager sees it as her own personal fiefdom. Employing friends and relatives who then employ friends of their own. My friend handed back the keys before lockdown but has never been officially “Exited”. I’ve advised her to request her payslips from head office. That way she can at least take them to the DWP to show she hasn’t had money in months. The fraud line is next on the to do list. 

Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

To follow on from the OP (which apparently was August) my manager is being promoted and will become my personal lead. I asked him if he'd been informed in his old role, as part of his new role or on my personal record that I'd made them aware I thought my mental health condition should be recorded as disability to open the door to them get more support to manage me and it turns out it hadn't. 

It's seemingly just fell into a black hole, which explains his responses to some things I've said as I've been assuming he has info he doesn't. 

The positive is he's been fantastic discussing it and is clearly open to supporting my concerns, which are primarily the impact I have on others when I get a bit funky, making sure they can cope with me when I'm a little erratic and minimising me freaking out the norms. 

It's nice to drop by and say something positive about a HR function. 

Edited by Tommy!

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Anybody have any experience of setting up their own small business and can give guidance on funding applications, admin, other bits and bobs etc.

Simply become a Tory party donor and you’ll be quids in. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Anybody have any experience of setting up their own small business and can give guidance on funding applications, admin, other bits and bobs etc.

Yes...feel free to DM & I'll happily help with the bits I can.

• Paid Members

I've been filling in in a managerial role for the past year, and I've had to make the decision to step back into my old position. I've realised that I absolutely hate the negative side of people managing. Giving people bad news, having to bollock people or point out mistakes is just the worst. I'm sure no one loves it, but I was hoping it got easier and it never did. I've developed a eye twitch and lost countless hours of sleep, so it was a huge relief to let my manager know. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I’ve ran businesses for a few years and operate Your Fight Site as a limited company. I’ve never applied for funding though, so can’t help with that I’m afraid!

2 hours ago, gmoney said:

I've been filling in in a managerial role for the past year, and I've had to make the decision to step back into my old position. I've realised that I absolutely hate the negative side of people managing. Giving people bad news, having to bollock people or point out mistakes is just the worst. I'm sure no one loves it, but I was hoping it got easier and it never did. I've developed a eye twitch and lost countless hours of sleep, so it was a huge relief to let my manager know. 

Cannot tell you how much I hate being a manager. I genuinely detest it, but am sucking it up for now to achieve something out of it (the money basically).

One of the reasons I got out of recruitment/sales is (as well as not wanting to work with utter cunts) that management was the be all and end all of the 'ladder' and if you said you didnt want to be a manager, you were seen as having no ambition. Utterly ridiculous. 

I am sure some people love it, there are numerous cretins I've worked with that thrive on it to show me this to be true, but nah not for me. Good on you for acknowledging it and addressing it.

@Your Fight Site @Dead Mike I'll PM you, cheers.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Cannot tell you how much I hate being a manager. I genuinely detest it, but am sucking it up for now to achieve something out of it (the money basically).

One of the reasons I got out of recruitment/sales is (as well as not wanting to work with utter cunts) that management was the be all and end all of the 'ladder' and if you said you didnt want to be a manager, you were seen as having no ambition. Utterly ridiculous. 

I love my old role, and I was good at it, so I can't describe how nice it feels to be going back to it. One of the most frustrating things was moving into a position where I had no instincts for it and absolutely everything was a struggle. I'm also lucky that the management team in my department are by and large really great and supportive (I probably wouldn't have lasted this long if they weren't).

22 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I love my old role, and I was good at it, so I can't describe how nice it feels to be going back to it. One of the most frustrating things was moving into a position where I had no instincts for it and absolutely everything was a struggle. I'm also lucky that the management team in my department are by and large really great and supportive (I probably wouldn't have lasted this long if they weren't).

Yeah, there are some gooduns about. I want to clarify that I meant "there are some people that love giving out shit to people". Theres nothing wrong with    enjoying being a manager.

My ex is a manager at the same store and is a fantastic one. She loves it, loves helping and motivating people and seeing them progress and thats what a manager should be like ("Hope she sees this king")

I dont like telling people what to do, unless it's on a football pitch, so I really struggle with that side of things, and confrontation when it comes to discipline etc. Its definitely not for everyone.