Work

Tommy!

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I've got to get out of my job. The dread, the lack of support, the sheer fact it's beaten me down enough I don't even care anymore. Anyone got anything going anywhere between Edinburgh and Newcastle...

What do you do mate? 

• Awards Moderator
13 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

What do you do mate? 

I'm in tourism. I've largely been looking at that tourist/cultural/promotional/heritage/arts/creative/visitor attraction/public education sector and would consider other things beyond all of that but I'm struggling to pinpoint what exactly that might be, or, if I have found something that's quite different (always quite fancied getting into auctioneering, for some reason) I wouldn't know where to start.

So, I've no idea if this is the correct thread - but here we go.

Basically, work have overpaid me for the last 21 months. I was seconded for 12 months between October 2018-19, and, after finishing my secondment I was never returned to the correct pay grade.

So the long and short of it is that I've been overpaid £2700 over 21 months. They are letting me know what my options are asap regarding 'rectifying the situation'.

Has this happened to anyone before? Is it best if I make an offer prior to HR getting involved? Should I wait for them to suggest repayment?

Oh, I work for the local council if that makes a difference.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Basically, work have overpaid me for the last 21 months. I was seconded for 12 months between October 2018-19, and, after finishing my secondment I was never returned to the correct pay grade.

So the long and short of it is that I've been overpaid £2700 over 21 months. They are letting me know what my options are asap regarding 'rectifying the situation'.

Has this happened to anyone before? Is it best if I make an offer prior to HR getting involved? Should I wait for them to suggest repayment?

Cheers.

Because it’s a council, it’ll be dealt with better. They have the right to get the money back but should do it in a fair and balanced way that doesn’t affect you too much. No doubt there will be a payment plan suggested which will be negotiable. 

If they value you enough to put you on secondment, they won’t want to lose you so as annoying it is you have to pay it back, I’m confident it will be done in a manner suited to you. 

This resource might help https://www.acas.org.uk/check-if-your-employer-can-make-deductions-from-your-wages

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Cheers.

Worth Speaking to ACAS

They have some guidance here. 

https://www.acas.org.uk/check-if-your-employer-can-make-deductions-from-your-wages#:~:text=Your employer has the right,it from your next pay.

Sounds like a nightmare tbh. 

Also because you've been over paid you may qualify for a tax rebate as you will have overpaid that, ditto pension and NI contributions so worth speaking to HMRC too

Thanks to both of you - hadn't thought about the tax and N.I. angle either. Thanks.

I've got a stack of holidays days left this year (one good thing from Covid I guess), so that will make up a part of my initial payment with a bit of luck.

Appreciate the links.

Cheers.

4 minutes ago, patiirc said:

Also because you've been over paid you may qualify for a tax rebate as you will have overpaid that, ditto pension and NI contributions so worth speaking to HMRC too

Ooh good shout! Given the figure mentioned, you should get something. 

This reminds me of when my brother in law who works in IT for a finance company got his MDs pay by mistake once due to their employee number being digits apart. I think he got roughly £70,000 and obviously had to give it back.

I'd have left the country before they'd even noticed. Can always get another job innit?

I get overpaid all the time but I just tell myself it’s for all the times I’ve worked five minutes over or come in 5 minutes early. I’ll also book anything as little as 4 minutes overtime. Nobody ever says anything.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

This reminds me of when my brother in law who works in IT for a finance company got his MDs pay by mistake once due to their employee number being digits apart. I think he got roughly £70,000 and obviously had to give it back.

I'd have left the country before they'd even noticed. Can always get another job innit?

Someone else once got my bonus as we had the same Surname and HR couldn't work out how Vlookups worked.

Ironically my job was as an Excel Developer 😐

Edited by DiscoPistol
Idiocy

I got overpaid like 18 years ago by like £500 I think and said I could only afford £10 a month so that's all they took over a few years.

I could have probably paid it back over a few months as money and bills wasn't an issue then but I thought sod them. 

We've just had a total fuck up between the union, its members and senior managers. 

1) Staff make bullying accusations against senior managers.

2) Union surveys its members on bullying. It shares the results with senior management. Senior management push back and say they don't accept the results.

3) Senior management say they're concerned about "mental wellbeing" but that they think it'll improve when we get more customers in. These senior managers have worked from home throughout the entire pandemic and haven't spent anytime with staff. 

4) The union arranges a meeting with its members to discuss the results. 

5) One of the members asks if a senior manager (who isn't a member) can attend. The union say no and that senior management aren't allowed to even ask us about the meeting.

6) The union invite their members to the meeting. All of the members' names and emails are visible in the invite.

7) A union member forwards the invite to senior management. 

39 minutes ago, Vamp said:

We've just had a total fuck up between the union, its members and senior managers. 

1) Staff make bullying accusations against senior managers.

2) Union surveys its members on bullying. It shares the results with senior management. Senior management push back and say they don't accept the results.

3) Senior management say they're concerned about "mental wellbeing" but that they think it'll improve when we get more customers in. These senior managers have worked from home throughout the entire pandemic and haven't spent anytime with staff. 

4) The union arranges a meeting with its members to discuss the results. 

5) One of the members asks if a senior manager (who isn't a member) can attend. The union say no and that senior management aren't allowed to even ask us about the meeting.

6) The union invite their members to the meeting. All of the members' names and emails are visible in the invite.

7) A union member forwards the invite to senior management. 

I don’t understand the fuck up. Do senior managers not know who is in the union? Were they somehow able to see the meeting taking place via zoom or something?