Work

Tommy!

• Awards Moderator

Thank you to everyone for the advice and suggestions over the weekend. I struggled back and forth with what to do the whole time but eventually decided not to accept the offer. The new job would have been much more convenient, and I could have done it without much challenge, but in the end it was all the boring parts of my current job without any of the fun or interesting bits and I think longer term I’d have regretted going more than staying. That surprised me because three months ago I’d have been out of there like a shot - but actually being offered something else made me realise that when it came down to it, I want to be doing something I want to be doing, I guess.

Obviously as soon as I let them know I immediately regretted it but I’m the type of person who would have felt like that whichever way I went. I’m going to keep looking for ways out of my current job, but at least now I know it’s not anything else at all I want. And I know I’m good enough to get offers elsewhere which is a plus.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
On 9/23/2021 at 9:46 PM, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Had a phone interview with one of the surveying companies we work with yesterday afternoon, and I don't think it could have gone better. They rang first thing this morning to book me in for a technical assessment.

Considering how much I dread the whole application and interview process, being told that I have "exactly the skill set we're looking for" has given my self esteem a huge boost. 

Of course, this means that if I don't get it I'll be looking for some rope and a decent tree, but I'm enjoying the positivity at the moment.

Smashed it, been offered the job. I'm not used to feeling so positive, it's weird.

I'm also so used to redundancy that I don't think I've given my notice of resignation since about 1998. Do you still have to do it on parchment with a quill?

1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Smashed it, been offered the job. I'm not used to feeling so positive, it's weird.

I'm also so used to redundancy that I don't think I've given my notice of resignation since about 1998. Do you still have to do it on parchment with a quill?

Fantastic news!! 

I thought you still had to sign resignations in the blood of you co workers still?? 

Applied for a job internally which is advertised as 60% based in head office & 40% based at home. Interview went really well yesterday BUT the sticking point (for them, not me) is that its 90 miles each way commute (I do drive) and I've had the interview manager and business partner get me on a call today to say they didn't realise I lived that far (although the recruitment advisor knew and obviously I did) and they are concerned that travel will be too much and almost questioned if this is the right job for me but without actually saying whether I have got the job or not.

Where do I stand on this? I was considering moving anyway which isn't an issue but its a catch 22 where I am not going to move anywhere until I have the job, but personally travelling 3 days wouldn't be a big issue and I could always book myself a hotel anyway if push comes to shove. 

They are going to call me back tomorrow but not really sure they can say I haven't got the job based on location/distance can they? This is the same company by the way where regional/district managers travel from the likes of Newcastle to London, Ipswich to London, Wales to London etc. Has really irked me to be honest and I even said that for training I am happy to do 5 days in the office and stay over as financially I won't be at a loss as the salary is an increase anyway. 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Briefcase said:

Applied for a job internally which is advertised as 60% based in head office & 40% based at home. Interview went really well yesterday BUT the sticking point (for them, not me) is that its 90 miles each way commute (I do drive) and I've had the interview manager and business partner get me on a call today to say they didn't realise I lived that far (although the recruitment advisor knew and obviously I did) and they are concerned that travel will be too much and almost questioned if this is the right job for me but without actually saying whether I have got the job or not.

Where do I stand on this? I was considering moving anyway which isn't an issue but its a catch 22 where I am not going to move anywhere until I have the job, but personally travelling 3 days wouldn't be a big issue and I could always book myself a hotel anyway if push comes to shove. 

They are going to call me back tomorrow but not really sure they can say I haven't got the job based on location/distance can they? This is the same company by the way where regional/district managers travel from the likes of Newcastle to London, Ipswich to London, Wales to London etc. Has really irked me to be honest and I even said that for training I am happy to do 5 days in the office and stay over as financially I won't be at a loss as the salary is an increase anyway. 

270 miles a week, based on 3 days does seem a lot. I can see why the would question it because if you’ve not done that kind of commute it’s a big strain.

if you are adamant you can tell tell them so, but I can see why they are questioning it if I’m honest.

• Awards Moderator

1 hour ago, Briefcase said:

I don’t think they can. They may be nervous thinking you’ll do it a few times and find it too strenuous and give up the job - maybe that’s happened before with someone else - but that’s a lot of assumptions. If you’re willing and able to do it and you applied knowing what it’d involve I don’t think they can discriminate based on that.

How long is the commute in terms of time? Mine’s around the same length as yours but the actual journey’s only an hour - I know people who live and work in different parts of London whose journey lasts longer (or at least that’s what they tell me).

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

32 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I don’t think they can. They may be nervous thinking you’ll do it a few times and find it too strenuous and give up the job - maybe that’s happened before with someone else - but that’s a lot of assumptions. If you’re willing and able to do it and you applied knowing what it’d involve I don’t think they can discriminate based on that.

How long is the commute in terms of time? Mine’s around the same length as yours but the actual journey’s only an hour - I know people who live and work in different parts of London whose journey lasts longer (or at least that’s what they tell me).

About an hour and a half on a clear run would be fair and its mainly motorways. I've commuted myself to London before in other jobs and even with this company so the commute doesn't bother me at all. I've driven there before and even drove there to attend the interview. 

I don't know whether its a good thing they've called as it shows some seriousness and transparency that I could be offered the position, but can't help but feel they will find reason not to offer me it now. I think they were hoping I would have a change of heart and back out or have second thoughts. But if all goes well I would probably look to move nearer that way in time but its swings and roundabouts really as I cannot move until I got the job anyway. 

I totally get why they would be concerned, I think selfishly they prefer people nearer to work who can just come into the office at short notice and me being that far makes that more difficult, but then my argument would be if I can work from home then I would be able to jump onto a laptop quickly anyway. 

11 hours ago, Briefcase said:

A long commute can take its toll. In London most of us are used to a 1 hour journey, it isn't good for us just used to feeling like shit.  but for 2 years I worked in Reading and the journey in took 90 mins and could take 2 hours to get home. It was okay at first but eventually it took its toll. I left and went to a company 30 to 45 minutes commute and I felt so much healthier, physically and mentally. It could be possible that the company are worried about your health. 

If it is only 3 days a week that would be lots better, and I think if I'd had that I would have coped much better, but there will be company's who in a year will want people in 4 or 5 days. 

I'd advise against working Fridays as the commute traffic out if London is horrendous. I had a manager who drove in daily from the New Forest, took him 3 hours to get home on a Friday and he left by 3pm.

What’s the best way of asking for a salary range for a position that hasn’t advertised the pay? I’m looking to get out of my job at the moment, and I’m fairly comfortable taking a pay cut just as long as I can still afford my mortgage etc.

I’ve always been discouraged to ask the salary beforehand which I think is fairly ridiculous.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

What’s the best way of asking for a salary range for a position that hasn’t advertised the pay? I’m looking to get out of my job at the moment, and I’m fairly comfortable taking a pay cut just as long as I can still afford my mortgage etc.

I’ve always been discouraged to ask the salary beforehand which I think is fairly ridiculous.

Depends if you want to know before applying or not. If I'm at the point of any actual conversations, I'll raise salary fairly in the first conversation - not in terms of definite figures, but in terms of making sure we're both having the same conversation, and if there's any point in us having a second.

22 minutes ago, Slapnut said:

I’ve found the most palatable way to discuss it is to ask (if they don’t ask you first) about ‘salary expectations’ and ‘how much I’m looking for’ in the first conversation. Hopefully that’s with HR/recruiter so doesn’t even register with the hiring manager.

But yeah, no point going through all of the process if the pay is too low- waste of everyone’s time. 

Thanks both. In this instance the role is with a very small company and it would appear all conversations will be held with the owner who advertised the role herself. As it’s not a particularly intensive job application, I’m tempted to apply and have the conversation if and when I’m invited to interview.