Work

Tommy!

• Paid Members

I spent the day in a pointless training event, the highlight of which was the lead talking about "the dungeon of doom" in some change model and talking us through self motivation in a way that just constantly sounded like Gareth Cheeseman calling himself a tiger.

8 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Oh definitely...…nowhere near all the high flying financiers and hedge fund folks at the top. We're not even half way up, that's the crazy part - this building has 62 floors. 

22 I'm assuming?

It's so weird seeing London. Sounds like my company might want us back in the office sometime next month (Government depending). Haven't been in since March last year or something.

Part of me misses it a little bit but I've really appreciated the better family time.

Spoke to my Dr today who's signed me off work due to mental health. Initially for 2 weeks but will end up being longer.

I'm still applying for jobs outside teaching but no success as of yet. Looking at setting up a wee sideline too making custom wooden gifts. Want to try and keep myself busy while signed off.

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

I spent the day in a pointless training event, the highlight of which was the lead talking about "the dungeon of doom" in some change model and talking us through self motivation in a way that just constantly sounded like Gareth Cheeseman calling himself a tiger.

Am I to understand that you didn't raise your hand and ask about the Alliance to end Hulkamania?

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

22 I'm assuming?

It's so weird seeing London. Sounds like my company might want us back in the office sometime next month (Government depending). Haven't been in since March last year or something.

Part of me misses it a little bit but I've really appreciated the better family time.

Yes, bang on. 22 Bishopsgate.

We've similarly had a lot of people hesitant. Although one thing we've observed is that the more people return, the more people want to return. Not 5 days a week, maybe 2 or 3, but our employees are really enjoying having the opportunity to interact face to face and spend time with their colleagues. Seems we are a bunch of social butterflies.

2 hours ago, Divorced Dad said:

Spoke to my Dr today who's signed me off work due to mental health. Initially for 2 weeks but will end up being longer.

I'm still applying for jobs outside teaching but no success as of yet. Looking at setting up a wee sideline too making custom wooden gifts. Want to try and keep myself busy while signed off.

Consider corporate L&D roles & trainer roles. I know one person who made that move and never looked back - better pay and work / life balance

12 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

We've similarly had a lot of people hesitant. Although one thing we've observed is that the more people return, the more people want to return. Not 5 days a week, maybe 2 or 3, but our employees are really enjoying having the opportunity to interact face to face and spend time with their colleagues. Seems we are a bunch of social butterflies.

Is there anything to the idea that it might be a bit of "well, shit, Sarah and Les and back in the office, I'll look bad if I don't do it"?

Just now, 69MeDon said:

Is there anything to the idea that it might be a bit of "well, shit, Sarah and Les and back in the office, I'll look bad if I don't do it"?

Maybe, but i hope not given that we have put zero pressure on anyone to return if they don't feel comfortable yet. The offer of pizza Mondays, beer Fridays may have had some bribery impact however.

1 minute ago, MPDTT said:

Maybe, but i hope not given that we have put zero pressure on anyone to return if they don't feel comfortable yet. The offer of pizza Mondays, beer Fridays may have had some bribery impact however.

There is no way that a single person is actually, legitimately enthused about Pizza Monday.

Is there?

I am potentially a cynical, antisocial fuck to be fair.

• Paid Members

Pizza Monday and Beer Friday sounds like the kind of "organised fun" that I dread. Where everybody has to pretend they're having such a great time that it all feels so forced and hollow. If I wanted to have pizza and beers with my workmates, I'd ask them to go to the pub after work. 

58 minutes ago, MPDTT said:

Consider corporate L&D roles & trainer roles. I know one person who made that move and never looked back - better pay and work / life balance

That's pretty much what I've been applying for. Searching LinkedIn and job sites daily for anything that has the word 'learning' or 'training' in the title.

Just need someone to take a chance on me really.

• Paid Members

My new workplace is in White City - there once/twice a week. It was only on the second day I realised that Grenfell is really visible when you walk up to it and I hadn't seen that since the fire. More than anything, it was really weird realising I hadn't noticed it.