Ice creams of the past

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Saw these via @IANdrewDiceClay on Twitter this morning and they’re worthy of a thread here.CDA1AD99-B84E-447A-AEE1-0BFEF49CE246.thumb.jpeg.a00de1030bd46e40594d4e4157dda7aa.jpeg6F38693B-FD18-4823-82D8-A9784CE33AD4.jpeg.b91d00f761a8918c900649df6a5957cb.jpeg

What are you picking? I can taste that Mario one, but I don’t think I could resist that Jurassic Park stunner. Phwoar.

The branding on it would put that first image, at least, at around ‘97, which is a little early for the true king of ‘90s ice creams to make its appearance. I am talking of course about the Maxibon. An ice cream that truly had it all.

• Paid Members

Tangle Twisters just simply being called Twisters now is one of my most irrational “dumbing down society”/old man shouting at cloud annoyances of the last 30 years.

I used to beg my parents for a Push-Up. Nothing more interesting than a plastic cylinder full of vanilla/strawberry ice cream, which is extracted for the consumption by virtue of a long thin plastic nodule at the base, vigorously thrusted upward, causing the contents to emerge, like a frozen dairy meerkat.

11 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Where the fuck is the Nobbly Bobbly? I’m going back to bed.

Still in all the shops mate, but tiny.

Where is the Toffee Crumble more like!!!!!!

Edit: Remembered this from yesterday whilst we're talking ice creams (pretty sure we've discussed before but when has that stopped this place)

None of these are ice lollies.

Edited by SuperBacon
ice creaaaaaaam, lieutenant daaaaaan, ice creaaaaaaaam

Max the lion can do one. His lolly sticks replaced jokes with boring facts. What a tosser. Take your woeful attempt at edutainment and stick it, brother.

Edited by Uncle Zeb

• Paid Members

I always went for a feast and still do now. They tried for some different flavours, the mint shown above and caramel. I think they had a dally with coffee too. 

It's Gino Ginelli that always sticks with me, especially the tutti frutti, despite never having actually had it because the advertising signs sat outside every shop on the seafront clattering in the wind for years after it left the market, just rusting away in the sea air as a reminder of what once was as I bought my feast. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

It's Gino Ginelli that always sticks with me, especially the tutti frutti, despite never having actually had it because the advertising signs sat outside every shop on the seafront clattering in the wind for years after it left the market, just rusting away in the sea air as a reminder of what once was as I bought my feast. 

was replaced by carte noir in the mid 90’s. My favourites in the 90’s were the Super Mario lolly, Feastwich (which I can’t find a pic of, but was similar to this)

98F059A1-E121-4248-9A1C-7FC4C4D53ADD.jpeg

and of course, the king 

F73C4FC3-9AFD-4186-80AF-E6C09A1294D8.jpeg

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

What's with the rancid looking toe on the Funny Foot?

My favourite lolly will always be a cider refresher or the lemony one if they've sold out, both worryingly absent from both those posters.

The Jurassic World one has to win it but what would you absolutely refuse off that list though? I always used to hate Soleros. Something about ice lolly exoskeleton over soft ice cream never used to sit right to me as a kid.

Oh god, I’d completely forgotten about the Mario ice cream.

The winner has to be The Lost World ice lolly, that was fantastic. I’d forgive the existence of the terrible Jurassic World series if they use it as an excuse to bring a version of that delight back.

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

Mister Long is a bit suggestive. I don't remember half of these. Mr Golly? Incredible day in the marketing agency that day.

Yeah, it wasn't so subtle a few years before that advert. That's just the tip of the ice cream racism here, look at some of the product names, for fucks sake. 

f9eec8c02e690a582a7c58d7b31ea8d8.jpg

Back to the first adverts posted it was mint cornetto first, twister second or make do with what was cheapest if we were skint.

Those Jurrasic Park lollies were vile, they look like they'd taste like a twister but were nothing like it. The red tongue part was disgusting, and if it mixed too much with green part it would ruin the whole lolly.

Coincidentally I have some knock off loop the loops in the freezer that I bought earlier this week. The lolly itself is very average but the chocolate at the top is devine, like someone melted chocolate limes a drooped it on top. 

Edited by Rule One
The posted advert is more fucked than I realised.

I’ve been smashing the Maxibons from our ice cream van since they started coming round again after lockdown. Last week the ice cream man(who still looks exactly the same as when I was a kid and still has the same catchphrases) told me it was the last one as they’d stopped doing them. Not sure if he meant all together or just the ice cream man supplier but I’ve not seen them in supermarkets for years.

Anyway, that selection needs some Mr T ice lolly representation.