Ice creams of the past

HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Freaky Feet were delicious!

50 minutes ago, Wideload90 said:

Cool bits - hard to describe but small ice cream pieces with a ice lolly shell... am I imagining them?

I don’t remember these but I remember small fruit ice pieces in sugar coating.... also feet shaped?!?

• Moderators

Initially I was thinking, wow whats a Romantica? But on deeper thought, I do recall those appearing in the house hold as an alternative to the classy dinner party dessert.

Fuck screwballs, incredibly disgusting. I was always a big calippo fan, let the end of it melt a bit for a high sugar chug at the end. I recall there being a bigger version of the cornetto, but google searching shows up nothing, anyone else recall that?

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

King Cornetto. You can still get them.

There was also the Mega King Cone, with its awesome cinema advert.

"It's here! It's m-m-m-mega! MEGA! Mega King Cone, can you handle one?"

• Awards Moderator

The UK were amateurs of ice creams in the 1980s/90s. You'd be happy with a Mint Cornetto over here and see it as a fancy treat, but you'd go to Spain on holiday and they'd have absolutely mental ones. You'd need two hands to keep it steady* and it'd have eight types of nut, four layers of flavour, a plastic lid to keep it in shape and a conservatory on the back. They'd have a board with a dozen options and after a 10-minute back and forth over which one to go for, big Julio would lean into the freezer and pass it to you like it was something Indiana Jones was after. 200 pesetas and they were incredible.

* don't Out of Context me.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

At risk of me sounding a bit Peter Kay, all of the 'home made' ice lollies were utter, utter crap weren't they? Jubbly's and their ilk can get in the bin.

We used to buy those really weird square like fruit squash drinks from Happy Shopper and freeze them, and they'd basically be a big block of ice, but even they were shit. Plus the lids were massive and hard to get off.