Ice creams of the past

HarmonicGenerator

• Moderators
On 8/10/2020 at 3:50 PM, deathrey said:

You know some things you just have over exposure to as a kid as your mum bought them constantly and then as an adult you can't stand the sight of them? I feel that way about Mini Milks, I've had a lifetime worth. I feel the same way about Ribena, can't stand the stuff as it's all my mum used to buy and we would have it constantly.

The only thing I have that level of visceral reaction to is penne pasta. Still can't stand it to this day even though I'll happily eat the same pasta in any other shape.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• 2 years later...

I could've sworn we had a "Brand wars" thread but I can't find it.

Anyway, I bought some Haagen Dasz the other day for the first time in ages and it was crap. It used to be the apex of ice creams in the 90s, but Ben & Jerry's is infinitely superior, and has way more choice. 

It was Cookies & Cream as well, but yeah, it's crap.

See, I think Haagen Dasz is a more grown up, less sugary ice cream. It has its place as does Ben & Jerry's. Ben & Jerry's is like a meal, it's a heavy ice cream with lots in it, Haagen Dasz is a bit more refined and I only really have it as a dessert.

My biggest criticism of Haagen Dasz is that they do some amazing flavours that are not widely available - the dark chocolate almond is really great but only available as mini in the chocolate collection (which has now been discontinued). 

They do, it's the kind if ice cream I would have made when I was 15 and couldn't make my mind up as to what should go in it. That said, I'll be tucking in to a small tub of Chocolate Fudge Brownie tonight. My new favourite is the Vermonster Sundae, that is diabetes in a tub and stupidly expensive but I pick it up whenever I see it on offer.

• Paid Members

Haagen-Dazs Salted Caramel is incredible stuff. I can't really let myself have it anymore because I'll eat a tub a night for weeks if I let my guard down. No other flavour come close, and I find most Ben and Jerrys pretty wank if I'm honest. I'm not a fan. 

30 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Those people are correct! The fuck out of here with your number 2 brands!!!!

To be fair I do think Haagen-Dazs is superior Ice cream but I’m also a disgusting man child who enjoys sweets and cakes in his ice cream so will often opt for B&J, especially at the cinema. You ever try the disgusting soggy crisps one?