Ice creams of the past

HarmonicGenerator

6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

At risk of me sounding a bit Peter Kay, all of the 'home made' ice lollies were utter, utter crap weren't they? Jubbly's and their ilk can get in the bin.

We used to buy those really weird square like fruit squash drinks from Happy Shopper and freeze them, and they'd basically be a big block of ice, but even they were shit. Plus the lids were massive and hard to get off.

These?

71opaV8i4mL._AC_SY500_.jpg

• Paid Members

Did you have golly bars in the UK then? I always thought they were just an Irish thing. It had a golliwog on the packaging which Wikipedia tells me was only removed in 1992. I remember my old man complaining about that, the daft racist. 

Seems like a good thread for this - I have a vivid memory of buying a Mr Men ice lolly from a local shop in what much have been the very early 90's and it being some sort of jelly/ice hybrid in terms of consistency. Frozen and on a stick but had the texture of a firm jelly when you bit into it. It was absolutely delicious but I never ever managed to find one again. Ive tried Googling it over the years but it only ever throws up bog standard looking ice lollies, not helped by the fact Mr Jelly really complicates the search. Ring any bells to anyone?

• Paid Members

My parents had a dislike for Arctic roll, so it probably only ever entered our house twice.

Because of this, I still view it as a rare treat for special occasions and get unreasonably excited over them.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Ice Creams in cones and tubs must be banned also then. Purists just use their cupped hands to hold the ice cream.

Don't be so childish. Cones, hundreds and thousands, tubs, wafers, flakes, flavoured ripples, nuts, chocolate and the like are perfectly acceptable components of an ice cream. Cake, though? I ask you...

1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

My parents had a dislike for Arctic roll, so it probably only ever entered our house twice.

Because of this, I still view it as a rare treat for special occasions and get unreasonably excited over them.

It's the little things you get nostalgic for.