Watched the new version of The Stand over the past few days. Despite its best efforts and a half decent tv cast it’s every bit as bad as the original adaptation. It’s just too hokey. I’m always a big supporter of big boy Skarsgard being a bastard though.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Watched the new version of The Stand over the past few days. Despite its best efforts and a half decent tv cast it’s every bit as bad as the original adaptation.

I quite liked the original. Might have been the Ringwald factor at play though.

Together

If the idea of a play style comedy drama about a locked down warring couple sounds like your idea of hell, then you'll REALLY hate this.

Sharon Horgan and James McAvoy play the couple and use the audience as a sort of therapy style device, breaking the fourth wall from the first second. I would bet my hat that it was written as a play first, and not everyone is going to like this style.

Its very middle class (unbearably so at times) but its really well written and incredibly acted, both of them given lengthy monologues at times (one that Horgan gives on the government's handling of the early days of the pandemic is really moving). McAvoy is hilarious at times (his reaction to them talking about the sex they've been having is brilliant) but Horgan gets her fair share of good lines as well.

Some people will never be wanted to be reminded of the last 18 months, and most pandemic set films have been utter shite, but this was really good. Its mad how quickly everything has moved on and how much of it seems so far in the past now.

Also, Horgan remains the horniest person on TV. I love her.

I’ve been watching Black Summer and it’s surprisingly very good. The first few episodes are just people running around streets being massive idiots whilst the running frenzy type zombies eat people but when it hits its stride it has tons to like. It’s computer gamey as hell and really reminds me of The Last of us in that it’s one drawn out depressingly tragic set piece after another. They even take down an outpost. Despite it being low fi and cheap as fuck some of the tension it creates is palpable and best of all the episodes are short.

• Paid Members

Binged the first three seasons/parts of Money Heist in a few days. If you liked Prison Break, you'll like this. If you find the idea of there being a cliffhanger every four minutes grating, fuck you, go and watch Mad Men or something avoid. I live for this shit! There was a point I had a realisation that the monk who looks like Neymar was actually Neymar, and I didn't even have time to process that I really, really hate Neymar because I was so worried about the Professor hiding up a tree, which I think sums up the show nicely!

• Paid Members

Absolutely loved that show and it got me through that brutal *no exercise, no going outside, no fresh air allowed* 10 week lockdown in Spain. Kept me sane at some points.

However I sincerely hope you watched the original Spanish version with English subtitles because "Money Heist" is such a shit name and much different from the translation of the original "La Casa De Papel" (The house of paper). I can only imagine that so much would be lost in an English dubbing. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

16 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Binged the first three seasons/parts of Money Heist in a few days. If you liked Prison Break, you'll like this. If you find the idea of there being a cliffhanger every four minutes grating, fuck you, go and watch Mad Men or something avoid. I live for this shit! There was a point I had a realisation that the monk who looks like Neymar was actually Neymar, and I didn't even have time to process that I really, really hate Neymar because I was so worried about the Professor hiding up a tree, which I think sums up the show nicely!

I absolutely LOVE prison break the first 4 seasons are probably up there with my favourite TV show of all time so if your saying it's like that I will absolutely give it a go tonight in bed.