• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Very cool. I remember thinking it was alright when I was younger, but can't help wondering whether an older (albeit not necessarily more mature) me might appreciate it more. 

Feel Good series 2.

Watched both the first series again today and then the new one back to back and it is just a phenomenal TV show.

Mae Martin's writing is so incredibly brave and honest, and her performance shows so much vulnerability, I found it really affecting.

If the first series dealt with addiction, having an addictive personality and unhealthy fixation when in a new relationship and how to deal with that and how toxic it can actually become, this series addresses the root causes of addiction, trauma and the coping mechanisms we use. One arc involving a former partner of Mae's shows how complex feelings and emotions can be when we are confronted with the people we love not always acting correctly, and how we deal with that. (Its not exactly black and white)

Along with all of those things, it is still incredibly funny and addresses gender and sexuality issues (one moment in the final episode had me bawling my eyes out) sensitively and realistically, and most importantly, authentically.

To that point, Mae's acting in the series finale is one of the greatest performances I have ever seen. It is astonishing. The supporting cast is brilliant as well (Lisa Kudrow and Phil Burgers in particular) and Charlotte Richie is note perfect as George, out as 'not straight' and trying to grow as a person, whilst developing her relationship with Mae. She gets a lot more scope this series.

Theres a fantastic sequence where they are going through a phase of role playing during sex which ends hilariously. But even this isn't just played for a plot device, instead showing that they are just using escapism instead of addressing their intimacy issues.

Honestly, its fucking fantastic television (the only bum note is Jordan Stephens as an overly woke Male feminist. Hes great but the writing is a bit on the nose) and I am completely in love with Mae Martin. I'm just a bit annoyed I watched it all in one go, but I needed to see what happened.

• Paid Members
On 6/3/2021 at 10:14 AM, Scott Malbranque said:

Mare of Easttown is a masterpiece. I can't recommend it enough. Just sitting here at me desk in work still haunted by it...

It's just brilliant, and the last few episodes stuck with me for days. You expect great acting from Kate Winslet, but she was on another level. Some really well placed funny moments here and there too.

I’m only halfway through Mare of Easttown so I don’t know any spoilery stuff yet but I’m assuming 

Spoiler

That Guy Pierce is the wrong’un because he’s fucking Guy Pierce. Hopefully it’s a bit of clever casting but the fact they haven’t so much as hinted at it being him doesn’t fill me with confidence.

Jean Smart is really good in it too. She’s generally underrated I think but she’s always excellent. The ice cream in the frozen veg bag was a classic Nan/Mum move.

• Paid Members

Just keep watching. There's so many shocks and turns and all sorts that you won't see coming, to come and not every character has an agenda like say, The Killing, or Broadchurch. 

I'm actually a wee bit depressed that it's over, such was my attachment to the characters. Haven't felt like that about a TV show since Spaced and Terriers. 

Never really had a show that made me laugh, nervous, sick and angry pretty much throughout every episode. Special stuff by all involved, and Jean Smart is an absolute pet. 

Have a bit of a man crush on Evan Peters now and all. He's just so loveable a chap.

If you haven't seen episode 5, don't click this spoiler... 

Spoiler

I am still reeling that Peters' character was killed in the manner he was. Caused a communal roar and gasp from the four of us who were watching. But that episode was nerve shredding and I'd put that scene when they find the two girls, Peters' death and the subsequent scramble up there with the Buffalo Bill/Clarice scene from Silence of the Lambs 

Edited by Scott Malbranque

Possibly one for the "Reminded of the UKFF" if it's actually true, but I started watching The Stranger.  And when I saw it was a Harlan Coben joint, I heard Le Branquefurter call him a bollix in my head.

• Paid Members

23 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Possibly one for the "Reminded of the UKFF" if it's actually true, but I started watching The Stranger.  And when I saw it was a Harlan Coben joint, I heard Le Branquefurter call him a bollix in my head.

Among other things, Houchey. Him and his bleedin poxy shite. Like the "Don't Tell the Bride" of thrillers. 

The worst thing is herself. "Oh, doesn't he always put a great twist in the tale?". Yet she thinks ill of Se7en/Sesevenen("That was unnecessary and stupid") Running Scared ("Ah that was boring!") Boring??!?, The Usual Suspects which she'd never seen before we started going out ("How did he do all that? Sure, he wasn't well through the film. That was stupid!“) and Knives Out        ("The funny music is annoying me. It's a stupid film" ) 

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

My problem with the Stranger is that the book in set in America but the TV show is set in the UK and the storyline doesn't work in a British setting. I don't want to say too much as to why as it'll be a bit of a spoiler.

Top marks all around, I watched the last three episodes last night and I imagine it will stick with me for a while. 

I also feel vindicated in backing my boy Evan Peters throughout the America Horror Story and X-Men years.