Dai Posted July 29 Posted July 29 Silo just isnt very good any more, is it? It moves at such an unbelievably slow pace. Its pretty much at the half way point for the new season already, and (exactly the same as last season) you could describe what has happened in two sentences. For a show that moves as slow as this, you'd think it would be packed full of characters with depth, but it doesn't. Its full of people you don't care about, and wouldn't care if you didnt see them again. I think Paradise, which has a similar sort of premise, has shown Silo up in terms of how it should be paced. S3e4 spoilers; Spoiler Tim Robbins has been in the opening credits for every episode, so it was no shock to see him back. The flash back/current times story just isnt landing either for my money. It again is suffering from the glacial pace. Episode 4 at least was better than the previous few, so hopefully it kicks into gear now. Quote
Merzbow Posted July 30 Posted July 30 I'm still very much on the critics side of Silo, I dont think I've ever seen such a drastic difference between them and the audience for a TV show. I actually kind of hope it gets even slower.. I'm joking about the last bit, I've already read that it kicks into gear after the halfway mark. Quote
Paid Members John Matrix Posted July 30 Paid Members Posted July 30 (edited) I have fond memories of watching Prisoner: Cell Block H with both my mum and nan as a child - given that the former tells me it was typically on at 11pm at night, much less the shows content raises other questions entirely, but imagine my surprise to discover that 5OD has the entire fucking run available for streaming. EIGHT SERIES…EIGHTY FUCKING EPISODES A SERIES!!! Absolute madness, this post should cover me in this thread for the next 7-10 years! ah Bea Smith, Lizzie Birdsworth, Vinegar Tits, oh how I’ve missed you so. I tell you what, honestly, I thought I’d give it 15 minutes, it’ll have aged appallingly and I’d turn it straight off again - never happier to be wrong. Sure, the sets look like a GSCE drama project and most of the acting is pure pantomime, but the stories are as good today as they ever were. Only seven episodes in, and heroes have become villains, and vice versa - they’ve done a fantastic job of fleshing out the characters and I’ve shed tears a number of times as a result, and we’ve not even got Joan “The Freak” Ferguson yet! Massive undertaking ahead, but for now I am all the way IN! Edited July 30 by John Matrix Quote
kieranjennings Posted July 31 Posted July 31 And Prisoner has the best outro theme tune to any TV series! Hits the spot brilliantly Quote
abucalves Posted July 31 Posted July 31 Saw that Station 11 is back on Now, so started that, very much scratched the "The Leftovers" itch I've had since watching it, probably down to Patrick Somerville being the showrunner. A third of the way through and it's great so far, enjoying the characters, and enough of a mystery to keep me watching. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 31 Paid Members Posted July 31 I caught a couple of episodes of that and was really surprised by it. I'd never heard of it, so went in completely blind and thought it was excellent. You've just reminded me I need to finish it. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted July 31 Posted July 31 Same. Think I watched the first three but the dodgy streaming site I was using disappeared and it wasn’t picked up over here for a while. Will make sure to revisit it now. That first episode with Tamwar was great, it was like dlc for The Last Of Us. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted July 31 Awards Moderator Posted July 31 That’s excellent to know, I’ve wanted to see it since I read and loved the book a couple of years ago, but it didn’t seem easy to find on streaming. Will definitely be giving it a try. Thank you @abucalves! Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 31 Paid Members Posted July 31 Also reminds me that Himesh Patel is excellent value in everything I've seen him in, even the otherwise shite The Franchise. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted July 31 Paid Members Posted July 31 (edited) Started a re-watch of season 1 of True Detective and fucking hell it really must be one of the greatest seasons of telly ever made. All the acting is brilliant but Woody Harrelson plays a blinder in every scene he's in. Probably one of the best acting performances ever. Edited July 31 by LaGoosh Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted August 1 Posted August 1 The Undeclared War on Channel 4 is a great watch. Simon Pegg is great as the GCHQ Director and well worth a watch Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted August 1 Paid Members Posted August 1 Rewatched Supernatural for the... I dont even know how many times. The last episode still breaks me. Quote
Paid Members CleetusVanDamme Posted August 1 Paid Members Posted August 1 On 7/30/2026 at 1:40 PM, Merzbow said: I'm still very much on the critics side of Silo, I dont think I've ever seen such a drastic difference between them and the audience for a TV show. I actually kind of hope it gets even slower.. I'm joking about the last bit, I've already read that it kicks into gear after the halfway mark. I'm still loving nearly every second, and in no rush for answers either. I could live in this world forever. It's incredible TV. Quote
Merzbow Posted August 1 Posted August 1 I'm in need of more ultra slow gripping TV, might go watch Sharp Objects again. I can't remember another show that has such raw tension, it should be remembered as one of the modern greats. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.