Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted July 9 Paid Members Posted July 9 6 minutes ago, Doog said: im sure hes not that precious. This is a man who still reads negative reviews from when The Office first came out, vanity searches anything negative about him and bites. He’s very precious. Quote
Doog Posted July 9 Posted July 9 1 minute ago, TheBurningRed said: This is a man who still reads negative reviews from when The Office first came out, vanity searches anything negative about him and bites. He’s very precious. Yeah maybe, but still, with the Merchant stuff, he obviously knows he co wrote it with him, knows fans of the office know that, so he cant just delete him. I genuinely think he is leaning into it now with people kicking off that he isn't mentioning him etc. Quote
Moderators Chest Rockwell Posted July 9 Moderators Posted July 9 Nah. He is absolutely that thin skinned and pathetic. Even if he's trying to convince himself he's 'in on the joke" he's definitely that small. Quote
Paid Members John Matrix Posted July 9 Paid Members Posted July 9 It’s absolutely tragic what’s become of Gervais - if of course it’s even become of him and he wasn’t always unjustly benefitting from being the front man. I know it’s hardly a groundbreaking view, but I’ve found Merchant’s post split work infinitely more enjoyable on the whole, right down to his stand-up effort. Hello Ladies is one of the best live gigs I ever went to, whereby even when I went to watch Gervais’ first tour, the novelty of seeing the bloke from The Office stood out more than any of the material, the standards of which seem to fall with every passing show. It’s remarkable that he can attempt to occupy the moral high ground the way he so often does, given the complete absence of anything remotely clever/creative/innovative post Extras - I didn’t mind Afterlife, certainly a step up from Derek! But ultimately it was route one laughs again, wasn’t it? Call a kid a fat cunt etc. To claim there’s any nuance beyond jarring cuts to possible suicide attempts while a piano plays is a bit of a stretch. And as for his “specials”, the trailer for his most recent one forced my arsehole shut, such is how painfully unfunny it is, which in itself seems harsh given that I’m judging a thing which didn’t appear to contain any actual jokes. So yeah, thanks for the memories Rick. #TeamMerchant Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted July 9 Author Paid Members Posted July 9 11 hours ago, gmoney said: John Oliver wanting to copy Steven A. Smith's bizarre turn into soap acting put out a call to soap producers begging to be in one: And he was cast on General Hospital. Looks like he's having a ball. Apparently he's going to be on Day's of Our Lives soon. I started watching Days of Our Lives before Christmas but got out of the habit of it quickly. It's hard work keeping up with them but if you can then it's absolutely hilarious daft addictive shit. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 9 Members Posted July 9 43 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: I started watching Days of Our Lives before Christmas Everything ok mate? Quote
Paid Members TheBurningRed Posted July 9 Paid Members Posted July 9 I saw Gervais do his work in progress in Leicester Square a couple of years ago. Tickets were dirt cheap and even though his stand up has mostly been shit, me and a mate wanted to go as we were big fans (well, my mate still enjoys most of his output), and like I said, cheap. I wasn’t expecting it to be any good and don’t know what made it to his special, probably the stuff aimed at trans and disabled people, but I remember there was nothing memorable at all. Neither of us laughed at any of his jokes. My mate was really disappointed. We did walk out becoming fans of Red Richardson though. So, there goes Ricky Gervais. I must remember to thank him. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted July 10 Paid Members Posted July 10 Another one in the club for catching up with Small Profits this week. What a charming little treat - Mackenzie just has this calming voice throughout his shows that just ooze coziness. Even when we're dealing with Spoiler odd little goblins. Well worth a watch. And looking forward to see what they do with it next. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted July 10 Posted July 10 10 hours ago, TheBurningRed said: We did walk out becoming fans of Red Richardson though. So, there goes Ricky Gervais. I must remember to thank him. Fun fact: he’s Rik Mayalls son-in-law. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted July 14 Paid Members Posted July 14 The Amazing Digital Circus - I’d heard a lot of chat about this one and, not having any real idea of what it was, I gave it a go on Netflix. I was lukewarm on the first episode, but I persisted and I’m really glad I did. It’s a really smartly told story with a satisfying conclusion and moments of genuine heartbreak along the way. I’d compare it to something like Omori or Undertale in that it’s light on the surface but actually tackles some extremely heavy subjects. It’s a beautifully told story, I loved it. A one season miniseries too, so you get to the intended conclusion. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted July 14 Posted July 14 I've been in one of my "no idea what to watch" moods so I stuck Heroes on because it's back on Netflix. I realise it's very much a marmite show like Lost and the like, especially the budgets and later seasons, but I was obsessed when it first came out. This was 2006, a few years before Iron Man started changing everything. Before being geeky and into comic books started to become more mainstream. The first season is - and I'll stand by this - absolutely exceptional. They got nearly everything right. Of course it's not all about caped crusaders and big fights or anything like that. It's far more about the mysteries and the interconnections and the human experience but it really works. In fact, looking back at it I almost appreciate it more for what it was, rather than getting annoyed at the lack of big fights etc. I almost appreciate the fact it isn't just an OTT Marvel type approach now. I've only done season 1 again but I'll power through with the rest. I don't really remember any of it so it's nice going through it all again. They had some really fucking good guest stars over the years too. Much like Lost, it's hard to explain how impactful it was at the time. They did a world tour and I met some of them at the London Eye and there were loads of conventions etc. Obviously Marvel then came along and changed the game. I still struggle with Milo Ventimiglia in this because Peter's just a bit of a shit character, but thankfully learnt to love Milo in This Is Us which redeemed him completely. Anyway off to get disappointed by the rest of it now. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 14 Members Posted July 14 I blitzed through People Just Do Nothing again, which is becoming a bit of a comfort show for me. I just love it (yes it's probably because it's set in and around where I grew up) and it has real heart and sweetness to it. Keep it locked each and every. Oh, and they're releasing new music again and good news @Devon Malcolm Miche has finally chucked Grindah! You're in. This is worth a watch if you're a fan of the lads. I also went through I'm Alan Partridge for maybe the 400th time and nothing new, still one of the best. Every time I watch it, I appreciate Felicity Montagu as Lynn more and more, she's just so spot on and funny. One of the biggest laughs this time was when they're discussing Beachy Head and coffee shops and Alan says "It's a suicide hot spot" and Michael's response of "What, Starbucks?" for some reason killed me. Restarting This Country again, as I seemingly am destined to just rewatch the same shows over and over until I die. Darren Lacey is granny bashing scum. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted July 14 Author Paid Members Posted July 14 1 hour ago, SuperBacon said: Oh, and they're releasing new music again and good news @Devon Malcolm Miche has finally chucked Grindah! You're in. Finally some good news! I'm the same rewatching shows. I'm sure when I watch the new Taskmaster soon I'll end up going "You know what, might as well stick on the James Acaster series...." afterwards and off I'll go again. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted July 14 Posted July 14 3 hours ago, RedTwoster said: The Amazing Digital Circus - I’d heard a lot of chat about this one and, not having any real idea of what it was, I gave it a go on Netflix. I was lukewarm on the first episode, but I persisted and I’m really glad I did. It’s a really smartly told story with a satisfying conclusion and moments of genuine heartbreak along the way. I’d compare it to something like Omori or Undertale in that it’s light on the surface but actually tackles some extremely heavy subjects. It’s a beautifully told story, I loved it. A one season miniseries too, so you get to the intended conclusion. My 9 year old boy absolutely adores this. I always thought it was more YouTube brainrot when he’s had it on in the background but as a treat we took him to see the last run of episodes in the cinema as they’d been released early at select cinemas. It was an interesting crowd, lots of confused parents and eccentric looking kids. Needless to say once I actually got the gist of it I was surprised at how well told and layered the story was, even more so that my lad had gotten so in to it at such a young age. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted July 18 Paid Members Posted July 18 I gave The Beast In Me a chance. I’ve rarely seen a show start so strong and finish so stupid. Great performances from Claire Danes and Matthew Rhys in particular, but fuck me it falls flat from a story perspective. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.