Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Members
Posted

Only Fools and Horses

When I was a kid, my Dad was a long distance lorry driver all over Europe, and during the summer holidays I used to go with him. We'd leave on the Sunday and go from Dover to Zeebrugge, and come back on the Thursday, Calais to Dover (my memory is really hazy but I'm going to assume his company didn't know about this, and sometimes customs didn't either as I'd have to hide under the bed going through ?)

We'd visit France, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Luxembourg, sometimes Italy and we'd stop in truck stops and get our dinner and then sit in the cab (which was huge, there were two bunk beds in there) and watch videos of Steptoe, Blackadder, Tony Hancock and Only Fools, so subsequently I've seen every episode a million times. We'd even listen to the audiotape during the day, and my Dad bloody loved the show. It was a massive deal in our house and we'd all watch as a family, which was a rarity.

For some reason this week I put it on, and it really is a fantastic show, and it's not hard to see why it was so popular, very much a bit of lightning in a bottle.

Sure it's broad, sure it's fairly low brow, but there is something about especially the first few series that are just so good. There are funnier comedies out there, but I'm not sure if there are better comedies out there. 

Obviously it's now new news that David Jason nails the character and is rather good, but his performance when he's telling Rodney that he doesn't know how to grieve Grandad (shout out Lennard Pearce who was brilliant) is incredibly touching, and I've always said, the best comedy has to have some pathos, and those are usually the best moments.

Maybe a lot of the enjoyment is me back when I'm 7 in a truckstop in Cologne (always woke up surrounded by thousands of rabbits there, Bishop Brennan would've hated it) but I'll always have time for the show, even though it should've ended with them rich after selling the watch. Cracking intro and outro theme tunes as well.

 

Oh, and Rodney Trotter was always FREE PALESTINE. 20250801_133956.thumb.jpg.c20f6f0bd638fd85ef3c6ff79c76aba6.jpg

  • Paid Members
Posted

Only Fools is my favourite show of all time. Must have seen every episode hundreds of times(other than a Royal Flush which was really poor. It’s also heavily edited since it originally aired as John Sullivan wasn’t happy with how it portrayed Del Boy)  I’d say though some of the early episodes haven’t aged particularly well. I think it hit his stride sadly when Lennard Pearce died and Buster Merryfield joined. I agree that it should have ended with them as Millionaires. I recently saw the musical which I thought I’d absolutely hate but actually really enjoyed it!  

  • Paid Members
Posted

Just caught up with this thread, which is why some of you might be mystified to be getting upvotes now.

On 5/7/2025 at 7:12 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

I'd never seen Colman Domingo in anything before.. he has an amazing voice! One for the listening equivalent to the pleasing to look at thread. 

On 7/1/2025 at 3:42 PM, SuperBacon said:

I'm legally obliged to mention this, which I probably watch once a month.

Genuinely brilliant, Grindah is a fantastic rapper and him and Beats corpse loads during this.

 

I've waxed lyrical about PJDN many times in here over the years, absolutely love it and they are forever my TW postcode brothers. 267 bus massive.

The second one they did when Charlie Sloth took FITB to Apple was also pretty good:

 

Re-watching Deadwood at the moment. Man, what a fucking great series. Season 3 was a bit of a disappointment, but not terrible considering they were dealing with landing it after cancellation. The first two seasons are absolute gold, though. Lovejoy is just unforgettable as Al Swearengen, and Timothy Olyphant is no slouch as Seth Bullock. Having Garrett Dillahunt appear as two completely different characters is testament to how good a character actor he is. And there's a scene that I consider to be one of the most heart-breaking in television ever, with the preacher's storyline.

If you haven't watched it, watch it. One of the best serial Westerns ever.

Posted (edited)

@SuperBacon I am somewhat jealous of your childhood going on trucking adventures with your dad. My stepdad was a lorry driver (only in the UK, sadly) for a time and I went on a bunch of trips with him, which I always enjoyed. In recent years I've had a fascination with the US trucking/CB boom of the 70s and 80s and have read a bunch of really good books on it (as well as watched a bunch of trucking films, docs and TV shows from that era and beyond). 

Anyway, I'm chuffed KOTH is back today and they'll be getting watched this week. I've been rewatching some classic episodes lately and it really is one of the best, funniest shows ever. 

Edited by SaitoRyo
  • Paid Members
Posted

It's a testament to the shitness of the TV I enjoy that my reaction to Carbomb's glowing review of Deadwood is, 'I really should watch Lovejoy from the start again.'

Posted

Currently on season 2 of KOTH. I've always enjoyed it from a distance but I can really appreciate it more as an adult. So much subtle humour and characters that are relatable. Ploughing through 3-5 episodes at a time so should be on S14 by September.

Worth the Disney subscription alone.

  • Moderators
Posted

Watched the first few episodes of A Man on the Inside. Michael Schur's latest show starring Ted Danson and good few other recognisable faces too. 

It's great! Lovely warm show without being corny, great writing as you would expect from Schur. Loving it and would strongly recommend it. 

  • Moderators
Posted (edited)

Well, I rinsed through all 8 episodes way too quickly. It was brilliant but now I have nothing to watch again. They wrapped it up satisfactorily so there's no good reason not to watch it even if it doesn't get renewed, but they also left an opening for a second series at the end so fingers crossed it does well.

Everyone go watch it please!

Ted Danson really doesn't often put a foot wrong when it comes to TV shows. Obviously Becker was complete shit, but on the rare occasions there was any good writing in it his delivery was still great.

His movie career is a bit more patchy, but 3 men and a little lady was one of my most watched films as a kid. 

I'm sure I'm forgetting or am just not aware of loads of terrible shit here been in but the highs are high, dammit! I'm off to watch Bored to Death again; I haven't seen it since it first aired. 

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Posted

Dept Q, everyone is a sarcastic cunt that isn't half as witty as the writers think they are. Plus they're fucking idiots who just stumble their way through the case.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Watching that celebrity shark thing on ITV.  Not one has suggested punching them in the fucking ear hole.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...