Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Up to S15 of Taskmaster now and I genuinely don't remember any of it. So weird. I'm fairly sure I've seen it before but it's the first one I've had no clue about. My brain might just be fucked though.

Some stuff just won't stay in my head, even if I've enjoyed it. I've stopped telling people I've seen I Think You Should Leave because if I say I have they quote some sketch that doesn't register with me at all. "Oh I love the one with the blind guy at the baseball game! 'WILL SOMEBODY TELL ME WHADDA FACK IS GOIN AAAHN'?"

  • Members
Posted
35 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Some stuff just won't stay in my head, even if I've enjoyed it. I've stopped telling people I've seen I Think You Should Leave because if I say I have they quote some sketch that doesn't register with me at all. "Oh I love the one with the blind guy at the baseball game! 'WILL SOMEBODY TELL ME WHADDA FACK IS GOIN AAAHN'?"

Ok I've seen those 3 series over and over and what sketch is that, as I also have no recollection. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 3/25/2025 at 8:58 PM, gmoney said:

Friday Night Dinner has gone off the boil a bit in series 3. Funny, odd behaviour and a bit of farce has become borderline psychotic behaviour and completely unbelievable situations. The first episode with the girlfriend coming over was actually shit. Nothing since has been as bad, but it's definitely a downgrade on series one and two.

Well. I forced myself to finish this show, but I'm not sure why. Possibly only the personal charm of Tamsin Grieg and Paul Ritter. The drop off from series 2 to 3 was massive, and it just got worse from there. I stand by the first two series as I excellent, but I can't in all good conscience say it's a show worth watching. The last episode, the glass in the soup one. You've got to try to believe that a man would rather pour soup over himself at the dinner table rather than admit he's accidentally put glass in the soup. It's just...shit. Every episode post S3 is like that that. 

It actually in many ways reminded me of another Robert Popper thing, The Timewaster Letters. I bought that one day, laughed like a drain reading it. Bought the sequel, More Timewaster Letters, the very next day. It was about a tenth as funny, similar concepts but none of the spark. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, gmoney said:

It actually in many ways reminded me of another Robert Popper thing, The Timewaster Letters. I bought that one day, laughed like a drain reading it. Bought the sequel, More Timewaster Letters, the very next day. It was about a tenth as funny, similar concepts but none of the spark. 

Yeah, and he’s done a similar book as a new character - a 104-year-old called Elsie - and it’s kind of dreadful. Nowhere near as funny as the original Robin Cooper book, or even its less-good sequel.

  • Paid Members
Posted
15 hours ago, gmoney said:

Well. I forced myself to finish this show, but I'm not sure why. Possibly only the personal charm of Tamsin Grieg and Paul Ritter. The drop off from series 2 to 3 was massive, and it just got worse from there. I stand by the first two series as I excellent, but I can't in all good conscience say it's a show worth watching. The last episode, the glass in the soup one. You've got to try to believe that a man would rather pour soup over himself at the dinner table rather than admit he's accidentally put glass in the soup. It's just...shit. Every episode post S3 is like that that. 

It actually in many ways reminded me of another Robert Popper thing, The Timewaster Letters. I bought that one day, laughed like a drain reading it. Bought the sequel, More Timewaster Letters, the very next day. It was about a tenth as funny, similar concepts but none of the spark. 

We're on a re-watch too, as youngest daughter has just discovered it. Agree with the general point. I still think S3 is OK, but not quite as good as 1 & 2. There's a huge drop off afterwards, quite a few guest characters who are outright terrible or just outstay their welcome and the charming nonsense of the early series all becomes a bit ridiculous and/or repetitive. I don't dislike it. Jackie and Martin hold it together and Jim is generally always a good cameo but the novelty of almost everything else wears thin.

  • Members
Posted

What It Feels Like For A Girl

A warning firstly* and I suppose a small spoiler (but not really in my opinion). This show, based on writer Paris Lees life, sees a 15yo boy called Byron wanking off a bloke in a public toilet within 7 minutes, and within 15 minutes he's been pimped out to two blokes for the night in a hotel.

I'm not easily shocked, but even I was at the speed and casualness this happened. But if you can take that as a subject matter, this is a really well written and acted TV show set in and around the turn of the millennium, and is a really brave show to write, make and air to be honest. Its not often a story like this is shown.

Only two episodes in, but looking like the best thing I'll watch this year.

*Mostly for anyone who has read about this and thought like me "oh that'd be interesting to watch with my teenager" etc. NOPE! That's not happening :)

  • Members
Posted
14 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

What It Feels Like For A Girl

Only two episodes in, but looking like the best thing I'll watch this year.

I watched the rest last night as I was that engrossed and what a fantastic show.

Ellis Howard as Byron is amazing, one of the best TV performances I think I've ever seen, and overall I was just so pleased they made this. 

Warning though, there is a LOT going on here, and it was a tough watch at times.

  • Members
Posted
2 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Is Feel Good worth a watch? Saw it pop up in some article and don't remember watching it when it was released. I mean it has Charlotte Ritchie in it so I'm assuming it's alright.

One of the best shows of the last 10 years, and Mae Martins performance is brilliant. Ritchie is great too.

There's one scene in the second series and their acting in it haunted me for ages, as it was so real.

Really great show.

  • Members
Posted
13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Cheers Bacon. Will give that and that other one a go and just wreck myself emotionally forever ?

Sorry mate! Don't get me wrong Feel Good is really funny, but there are some serious themes at the heart of it. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

Miami Vice

They added all these to Amazon and I’m a bit of an old man that loves a bit of Columbo and Kojak so this is right up my street. Celebrity of the week crime show filled to the brim with 80s style and music. 
Touches on serious subjects like rape, sexual abuse and incest from time to time and surprisingly sensitive when it does, then they’ll do an episode where their Lieutenant knows martial arts and takes on ninja assassins.
Some great showings from the likes of Bruce Willis, Dennis Farina and Pam Grier, though a real lowpoint when they did a Phil Collins episode where he both acted and they played his music all the way through.

I’m nearing the end of season 2 and there’s only 4 seasons! Flying through them.

  • Paid Members
Posted
4 minutes ago, FLips said:

Miami Vice

a real lowpoint when they did a Phil Collins episode where he both acted and they played his music all the way through.

On the contrary, that sounds amazing. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 5/26/2025 at 10:11 PM, gmoney said:

I'm up to ep three, which contains one of the most astonishing sequences I've ever seen. 

Started the second season yesterday and you’re right about the third episode if it’s the 

Spoiler

Sully as a baby sequence

It floored me. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...