Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Yeah I saw some stupid article suggesting Taskmaster should end because its starting to get rubbish but they ended up having one of the best series ever.

Next series should be great too with that cast.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Taskmaster S19 was an all-timer. So many excellent tasks, and amazing lines including "what's it going to be like when we graduate?" The cast seemed to genuinely like each other too. 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

Agreed, it's between this series and Series 7 as my all-time favourite. I thought everybody was really funny and generally great, and as @Onyx2 said, it seemed like they genuinely got on which I think helped make for a brilliant atmosphere. I've been a Baynton fan since Horrible Histories, so it was lovely seeing him do so well, and I'm now also all in on JV Martzoukas (would buy a t-shirt). Their individual approaches to the tasks just worked so well in combination - Fatiha's can't-be-having-with-this attitude, Jason's anarchy, Mat’s very British awkward embarrassment particularly when he did well, Rosie's general sense of what-is-going-on and Stevie's ultra-relatable feeling of always being on the edge of a millenial nervous breakdown. Fantastic series.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
bruv
  • Paid Members
Posted

Rewatching Poirot from the start. Really hits its straps by series 2. Hastings speaking to a parrot and Poirot housebreaking highlights so far. Theres also an incredibly lazy Asian protagonist episode where the bloke looks like Catherine Martel in series 2 of Twin Peaks and they play the Orient Express' theme song in the background whenever he's on screen.

Midsomer Murders next. That'll get my through to near Christmas I reckon.

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Dexter: Resurrection (Paramount Plus)

I loved the original run of Dexter, even the last few seasons when it dropped off… until the end. Then New Blood came out a few years ago and I loved that too, the new setting was great and it was going so well… until the end. So am I ready to love a show all over again and to be let down at a finale once more? You’re damn right I am.

All star cast for this new season with Uma Thurman, Peter Dinklage, Krysten Ritter and Neil Patrick Harris joining the cast. James Remar is back. As is Batista from the original series.

Four episodes in and I’m really really enjoying it. Yeah it’s ridiculous at times, but this is a man who speaks to the ghosts of his dead relatives and has survived numerous plot armour. But it’s all clicking very well. Too well. Third time to finish the show off is the charm right? 

Edited by TheBurningRed
Posted (edited)

We’re only two episodes in as we’ve been away (as I’ve covered in the ‘Photo of Yersen’ thread). Looking forward to catching up, although Krysten Ritter turning up in anything is usually a negative as she has a knack for being the worst actor in anything she turns up in.

David Zayas on the other hand I could watch all day. Absolutely oozes charm and is still a handsome motherfucker.

We passed by The Empire Hotel where a lot of the series has been filmed, but couldn’t get a picture as it was absolutely swamped with people outside doing just that.

James Remar being back as Harry is great too, even if he just turns up to give Dexter shit. There was a point in the original show where they past being able to just use him as a flashback character and he basically turned into a pessimistic angel, hands on hips constantly telling Dexter “I don’t think you should be doing that” or “this isn’t a good idea”. 
One of my favourite moments of the original show was when Dexter goes out of town (the reason for which I can’t recall off the top of my head), but when he gets back to Miami Harry is waiting for him at the ‘Welcome to Miami’ city line/sign. My wife just turned to me and asked “I know Harrys a ghost and all, but is he not allowed to leave? Does he have to stay where he died?”

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

One of my favourite moments of the original show was when Dexter goes out of town (the reason for which I can’t recall off the top of my head)

Season six. He goes to Nebraska to see Trinity’s son. I’ve been rewatching from that season to get a Dexter fix while waiting for the newest episode. 

  • Paid Members
Posted

I completed Taskmaster.

It's the sort of show that should have notable peaks and troughs and I'm not sure it does. Aside from the Paul Sinha series, obviously. And even that had its moments. It helped it getting the crap comedians who are always on everything (Beckett, Ranganathan, Pascoe, Wilkinson) out of the way while it was still finding its feet and not clogging up the later better series, but even they had some funny stuff behind them.

I'm not going to list my favourite contestants because it's mostly going to be the fit ones because I figured maybe my kink is beautiful people making absolute tits of themselves. Especially Emma Sidi and Alice Levine. I know general consensus is that the James Acaster one is the best one, and I can't argue with that, but the Fern Brady one maybe had consistently the best tasks - I loved the airport ones especially.

I'll watch them all again, then.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 6/12/2025 at 9:13 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Dept. Q - Another detective drama adapted from some Scandi noir, but unlike the million and one other forgettable cop dramas that came off the back of the popularity of Line of Duty and Happy Valley, this one is decent. A really good storyline with some great twists and turns and some brilliant characters.

There is one scene in the final act of the last episode though that has some of the worst green screen I've ever seen and it nearly ruined the entire show for me.

I wasn't too optimistic when I started this as the usual trope of a disgruntled, sarcastic but brilliant cop has been done to death, but ended up really enjoying the series. Very decent cast and just the right amount of OTT nonsense. Hopefully it gets picked up for another series. Naveed from Still Game as the lodger was a lovely surprise too!

  • Paid Members
Posted

There was a series of Danish films made about the Department Q books and they were all really decent, I recommend them all.

Posted

I thought the Netflix Dept. Q was really decent. Nothing groundbreaking but enough twists and turns with a cast of characters I enjoyed watching.

We finished Untamed on Netflix this week. Eric Bana is a broken  national parks special agent and Lily Santiago who is a dead ringer for Alia Shawkat as his rookie park ranger partner. Standard stuff elevated by a decent cast and a glorious Yosemite Park setting. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...