Paid Members Nexus Posted October 1, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 1, 2024 (edited) The wife and I are really enjoying it. It reminds me of Jonathan Creek. Edit: new page wanker - talking about Ludwig on BBC Iplayer Edited October 1, 2024 by Nexus Quote
Mr_Danger Posted October 1, 2024 Posted October 1, 2024 32 minutes ago, Nexus said: The wife and I are really enjoying it. It reminds me of Jonathan Creek. Edit: new page wanker - talking about Ludwig on BBC Iplayer I said the same thing to my Mrs but if I remember correctly from my big Creek rewatch this place of uncultured swines scoffed at my Creek appreciation. If nothing else it taught us to put Maltesers in the freezer! Quote
Merzbow Posted October 1, 2024 Posted October 1, 2024 I watched the first episode a couple of days ago but David Mitchell playing David Mitchell just reminded me of a very shit version of Monk. 4/10 Quote
Paid Members Nexus Posted October 1, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 1, 2024 57 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said: I said the same thing to my Mrs but if I remember correctly from my big Creek rewatch this place of uncultured swines scoffed at my Creek appreciation. If nothing else it taught us to put Maltesers in the freezer! I love Jonathan Creek. One of my favourite shows. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted October 1, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted October 1, 2024 There's a worrying surprising number of Jonathan Creek fans on here. Quote
Paid Members DCW Posted October 2, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 2, 2024 21 hours ago, Merzbow said: I watched the first episode a couple of days ago but David Mitchell playing David Mitchell just reminded me of a very shit version of Monk. 4/10 Pretty much same for me. I find Mitchell annoying in anything other than Peep Show really, but said I'd give Ludwig a go at least as premise sounded half interesting. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted October 9, 2024 Members Posted October 9, 2024 If you've never seen it, nuclear scarer Threads is on BBC Four tonight at 10.20pm as part of a mushroom cloud based evening. Cheery. Rewatched Stath Lets Flats for the 400th time. Definitely in my top 5 comedies of all time. Then, as my eldest and her Mum are both absolutely obsessed with it and constantly talk about it, I started watching Gilmore Girls. I've seen some of it, and I've seen the Netflix episodes where it ties it all together so no surprises in store. It's brilliant. You can see why it has such a large following and fan base, and I can see why my eldest and Mum like it so much as they probably identify quite strongly with them (my ex wanted to call our daughter Lorelai and that tells you everything) On the subject of Lorelai Gilmore; one of the fittest characters on TV there has ever been. The other day she said she was out with no underwear on and I had to go for a little walk around the house to sober up. BONK! indeed. Lauren Graham is fantastic as her, but Alexis Bledel also nails the Rory character. Just such an easy watch. ? Where you lead, I will follooooow ? Quote
Paid Members Slapnut Posted October 9, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 9, 2024 My wife watches Gilmore Girls on repeat. As in, it finally ends, and she’ll go back to season 1. It’s gotten to the point where I get such a visceral reaction to the theme music that I can’t be in the same room when she has it on. It came on in work the other day and I had to go for a walk. I can’t blame her, I do the same thing with Seinfeld. I keep telling her that’s a completely different situation though. Now I just need to figure out why it’s completely different. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted October 9, 2024 Posted October 9, 2024 My wife adores Gilmore Girls but I just can't abide they way everyone speaks in such an unnatural way and at a million miles an hour. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted October 9, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 9, 2024 48 minutes ago, Slapnut said: My wife watches Gilmore Girls on repeat. As in, it finally ends, and she’ll go back to season 1. It’s gotten to the point where I get such a visceral reaction to the theme music that I can’t be in the same room when she has it on. It came on in work the other day and I had to go for a walk. I can’t blame her, I do the same thing with Seinfeld. I keep telling her that’s a completely different situation though. Now I just need to figure out why it’s completely different. Well you see Seinfeld is a show about nothing, unlike Gilmore Girls. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted October 9, 2024 Posted October 9, 2024 I've never really been able to get on with Gilmore Girls which is weird as I have a terrible love of those sorts of shows. I dread to think how many teen/comedy dramas or whatever you want to call them I've sat through. But yeah, just never really kept my attention. I'm clearly wrong as loads of people love it. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted October 9, 2024 Posted October 9, 2024 Sherwood. We're watching series 1 as the mountain of good reviews got too much to ignore, and it's definitely well acted.. but there's loads of stuff that makes absolutely no sense. They put some stuff in an episode, then forget about it the next. They gave one lad emphysema in an episode. Sofa ridden with an oxygen tank and everything. Within a few episodes he's hopping up the stairs, going the pub, having a wander about. And there's a few examples of inconsistencies like that. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted October 9, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 9, 2024 On 10/1/2024 at 8:48 PM, Mr_Danger said: I said the same thing to my Mrs but if I remember correctly from my big Creek rewatch this place of uncultured swines scoffed at my Creek appreciation. If nothing else it taught us to put Maltesers in the freezer! Never watched Jonathan Creek. No idea why as it could be something I'd enjoy. It'd probably depend on how unlike Alan Davis on QI Alan Davis on Jonathan Creek is. Quote
organizedkaos Posted October 9, 2024 Posted October 9, 2024 (edited) Ludwig was fine hungover sunday fare, nothing too adventurous (basically just a mashup of other shows) but David Mitchell's persona is pretty fun and some of the mystery's solutions were satisfying (not a patch on early J.Creek though, and several of the solution the writers didn't even much try and make sense). All the re-use of tropes was mostly OK but it's genuinely one of the worst examples of (spoilers for the case of the week culprits not the overarching story) Spoiler The most famous guest cast member is the criminal! I guess it's probably more pronounced in British shows as there's less somewhat famous character actors that might work as red herrings (and less TV shows so less chance you recognise someone from a bit part in another show). Here was almost distracting with these situations where you have an actor who's really quite famous or recognisable for a specific role to the point they'd quite easily be the lead in a similar show (Felicity Kendall! MC Grinder! The priest from This Country!) surrounded by completely unknown actors (yes FK not twigs one was mildly subverted, but not really really that subverted). MC Grinder the builder who definitely has nothing else going on was the most egregious because they really tried to build up the mystery of him (in storyline) yet made no attempt to hide it to the viewer. Either go full Columbo or at least try and trick me... otherwise it just starts to feel incredibly lazy I mean I get why this always happens in case of the week crime shows, the culprit generally has more to do acting wise (particularly post reveal) and so you get the stronger/more experienced actor to do it. It's just so blatant here it irked and i'm normally not that fussed about the standard tropes and devices these shows tend to use as basic tenets of their existence. Edited October 9, 2024 by organizedkaos Grupo Macho - San Salvador (Al Kent Edit) Quote
deathrey Posted October 9, 2024 Posted October 9, 2024 (edited) Gilmore Girls is fine. Just fine, it's not great, it's not terrible, it's middle of the road. I have seen it all the way through twice (I think), most women I know rave about it and I feel like I must be missing something. I don't dislike it, it's just fine. I also felt like Rory was a bit of a twat, especially by the end. By that point she was a complete twat. Suki, Luke and Laine were my favourite characters. I found Laine quite relatable.... Probably why the show isn't as loved by me as it is by other women. Don't watch Kaos, though I thoroughly enjoyed it, the dickheads at Netflix have cancelled it even though it was hugely popular and the writer left it with most the character completely unresolved because he openly said it was a 3 season story arc. Why do Netflix do this? Arseholes. Edited October 9, 2024 by deathrey Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.