DavidB6937 Posted November 19, 2024 Posted November 19, 2024 Season 1 was one of my favourite things in a long time. Season 2 definitely struggled for reasons already discussed but there's SO much talent in that cast that I'm willing to stick with it. Quote
Merzbow Posted November 20, 2024 Posted November 20, 2024 Plus it's staggering how much chemistry there is among two casts, so many shows don't have that for one. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted November 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 22, 2024 Wolf Hall: The Mirror and the Light. Utterly riveting. Best thing I've seen in ages. So far, two episodes in as good if not better than the first series. Quote
Rossman Posted November 23, 2024 Posted November 23, 2024 Watched the first half of Sky's 10 part remake of The Day of the Jackal. Pretty good so far. Eddie Redmayne is very good as the Jackal, his MI6 adversary Bianca, played by Lashana Lynch is not so much. The character comes across cold, smug and annoying, and it makes you want to hate her more than the Jackal. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted November 23, 2024 Posted November 23, 2024 I've been watching The Day of The Jackal too and I think it's fucking awful. The first episode is quite good at pretending its prestige TV, but the rest is full of plot holes and general awful writing. Everyone constantly making decisions that go completely against their character and makes no sense what so ever. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted November 23, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 23, 2024 I've really enjoyed it. It's had it's daft moments, but the enjoyable stuff outweighs it I think. As for Latasha Lynch's character being cold and smug, that's exactly how I'd expect an MI6 agent to be, I think that's the intention. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted November 23, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted November 23, 2024 10 episodes?! The film was long enough but that was perfectly paced and overall superb. Can't see myself bothering with that, but good to see Lashana Lynch getting a good role after the Bond debacle. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted November 24, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 24, 2024 10 episodes of Eddie Redmayne too. No thanks. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted November 24, 2024 Posted November 24, 2024 It has already been renewed for a second series so not even just 10 episodes. Quote
WyattSheepMask Posted November 24, 2024 Posted November 24, 2024 (edited) Speaking of being renewed, FROM has just been renewed for a 4th series. We’ve just watched the Series 3 finale, and while I’m still onboard with most things, I do feel like it’s in danger of losing its direction and throwing out some completely random stuff just to go “didn’t see that coming did you!?”. Its far from perfect, i’ll admit that much, but its still interesting enough that I’m going to stick with it Edited November 24, 2024 by WyattSheepMask Quote
DavidB6937 Posted November 24, 2024 Posted November 24, 2024 24 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said: Speaking of being renewed, FROM has just been renewed for a 4th series. We’ve just watched the Series 3 finale, and while I’m still onboard with most things, I do feel like it’s in danger of losing its direction and throwing out some completely random stuff just to go “didn’t see that coming did you!?”. Its far from perfect, i’ll admit that much, but its still interesting enough that I’m going to stick with it Yeah it's not up there quality wise with the best but it's decent enough with a good cast and just enough intrigue to keep me watching. As with stuff like Lost you have to wonder how much overall planning there is and how many seasons they originally aimed for etc. Must be incredibly difficult to plan as if you get cancelled early with a multi year plan in place it's disappointing but you don't want to throw it all out there too early either. Definitely a fine line. And then I'm sure some get asked to drag on beyond the original intention which can dilute things too. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted November 24, 2024 Posted November 24, 2024 From would a completely fine low end mystery horror show if it was 3 series and done. You can just tell watching this latest series they’re in to padding out the story mode and it’s nowhere near strong enough a show to do that. The cast ain’t great either although I do get a kick out Harold Perrineau’s random foul language. Quote
Dai Posted November 29, 2024 Posted November 29, 2024 Three episodes into the new season, and Silo is teetering on the edge of being dull and forgetable, in my opinion. The finale left you with so many questions, possibilities and theories of where the story could go, and its worrying about how much of it so far has seemed pretty bland filler considering its already 3 episodes down out of 10. The first episode back, coming off the amazing closing scene of the first season, was really bland. It was essentially a video game level where the task was to construct a bridge. More focus seems to be placed on the peripheral characters, but for the most part theyre not that good. Hopefully it picks up very soon, otherwise it will be halfway through and very little of note would have happened. Not sure if The Middle has ever gotten any love in this thread? If not, it should do, as its fantastic. Have blitzed through 3 seasons in no time. Such an easy watch, and Brick is up there with greats like Michael Scott and Ron Swanson as one of the best comedy characters in modern sitcoms. Quote
Paid Members ReturnOfTheMack Posted November 29, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 29, 2024 I love The Middle. I think Sue is the greatest 'sweet' character on film. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted November 29, 2024 Posted November 29, 2024 Yeah I watched The Middle during its original run and I didn't know many people that watched it, but it's just one of those nice wholesome comedies where everyone plays their parts to perfection really. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.