d-d-d-dAz Posted October 10, 2024 Posted October 10, 2024 8 hours ago, deathrey said: Don't watch Kaos, though I thoroughly enjoyed it, the dickheads at Netflix have cancelled it even though it was hugely popular and the writer left it with most the character completely unresolved because he openly said it was a 3 season story arc. Why do Netflix do this? Arseholes. Very few people watched it. I thought it was great, but lots of 'industry' people were predicting it's cancellation before it was confirmed. It'd have had a huge budget, given the cast, and yet was doing worst than cheaper, shitter reality shows they can make for 20p and a packet of cigs. Shame. But blame the people on this one, as they gave it a bloody good push. https://www.shortlist.com/news/kanceled-netflix-show-kaos-gets-kanned-after-a-single-season-404836 Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted October 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said: blame the people on this one, I can only assume they have very good analysts on this one proving how the initial take up proves the longevity of a series, but surely I can't be the only one who thought 'oh that looks interesting, stick it on the list'. And it's turn was next on rotation for us - genuinely finishing something up now and ready for the next series - and now I will never watch it because what's the point? Do I want to invest time in something with no resolution? There is so much content out there to consume, with many media demanding your attention that sorry, you have to hit the queue and wait your turn. "Cashier number one please." And surely five weeks isn't enough time to decide that. Maybe it's just me who watches stuff this way, and everyone else binges all of everything the minute it is available. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted October 10, 2024 Posted October 10, 2024 (edited) 4 minutes ago, Onyx2 said: I can only assume they have very good analysts on this one proving how the initial take up proves the longevity of a series, but surely I can't be the only one who thought 'oh that looks interesting, stick it on the list'. And it's turn was next on rotation for us - genuinely finishing something up now and ready for the next series - and now I will never watch it because what's the point? Do I want to invest time in something with no resolution? There is so much content out there to consume, with many media demanding your attention that sorry, you have to hit the queue and wait your turn. "Cashier number one please." And surely five weeks isn't enough time to decide that. Maybe it's just me who watches stuff this way, and everyone else binges all of everything the minute it is available. Netflix have the most cynical, ruthless commissioning machine in the industry. They're basically a sausage factory. And they're happy to spend fortunes on creating sausages of different types and flavours, sometimes with questionable quality control, but if a sausage isn't immediately popular they'll stop making it. The nature of these things is you tend to have a follow up series commissioned fairly quickly after a shows run, if not during, to make sure the talent and production team don't move on. It's in no ones interest really to wait around, and Netflix are happy to just look for the next content sausage. It's the ultimate disposable media producer. But, on the flip side, if there's a HUGE backlash and fans start communities to get it back they'd probably chuck money at it. They just want to make popular stuff, the quality they can take or leave. So, in a way, the power is still with the people. Edited October 10, 2024 by d-d-d-dAz Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted October 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 As always I assume this comes down to money. I understand that Menenenenendez brothers documentary thing seems quite popular right now, and that must have cost buttons. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted October 10, 2024 Posted October 10, 2024 29 minutes ago, Onyx2 said: As always I assume this comes down to money. I understand that Menenenenendez brothers documentary thing seems quite popular right now, and that must have cost buttons. I doubt it. Javier Bardem, Chloe Sevigny and Ryan Murphy don't come cheap. Unfortunately, that docudrama format is just really popular with lots of people even if it's a creative dead end. Quote
Paid Members tiger_rick Posted October 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 I'm watching through Cheers at the moment. My daughter was on WhatsApp to her friend this morning and she must have asked about the background noise because I just hear "My Dad's watching some weird 1980s show or something.." Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted October 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 7 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: I doubt it. Javier Bardem, Chloe Sevigny and Ryan Murphy don't come cheap. Unfortunately, that docudrama format is just really popular with lots of people even if it's a creative dead end. Oh I think I must be mixing up my crime stuff - I'm thinking of a real life court footage thing? I haven't watched it, just aware people are talking about it. Quote
deathrey Posted October 10, 2024 Posted October 10, 2024 2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said: Very few people watched it. I thought it was great, but lots of 'industry' people were predicting it's cancellation before it was confirmed. I must have been mistaken as I thought it had been really popular. Damn shame as it was a great show. Stupid people and Netflix in that case. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted October 10, 2024 Posted October 10, 2024 11 minutes ago, Onyx2 said: Oh I think I must be mixing up my crime stuff - I'm thinking of a real life court footage thing? I haven't watched it, just aware people are talking about it. Nah, the Menendez thing is part of their MONSTER series. It's huge at the minute, but it's predominantly acted, with some real life cutaways. Similar to their Dahmer one. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted October 10, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 23 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: Nah, the Menendez thing is part of their MONSTER series. It's huge at the minute, but it's predominantly acted, with some real life cutaways. Similar to their Dahmer one. I think Onyx might be talking about this:- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt33481094/ Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted October 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 yeah, the Menendez documentary has just been added to Netflix, but the thing everyone is raving about is the series, not the docu. Quote
deathrey Posted October 10, 2024 Posted October 10, 2024 Real crime is a genre I just can not get on with. I really don't understand what the widespread appeal is, I'd rather sit and pull my eyelashes out than watch one of those shows. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted October 10, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 26 minutes ago, BomberPat said: yeah, the Menendez documentary has just been added to Netflix, but the thing everyone is raving about is the series, not the docu. I'm far more interested in the documentary tbh, I just don't see the point in sitting through a dramatised version of a film that's sitting right there. And this is meant to be one of Netflix's best documentaries for years too. Quote
Paid Members Dead Mike Posted October 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said: I'm far more interested in the documentary tbh, I just don't see the point in sitting through a dramatised version of a film that's sitting right there. And this is meant to be one of Netflix's best documentaries for years too. We started watching the series but binned it off after 3eps when we saw the doc was coming as we thought the exact same. Watched it last night & would definitely recommend. Far less bloated than the normal Netflix fare & very sad, which given the subject matter isn't a surprise but still. Quote
Paid Members Onyx2 Posted October 10, 2024 Paid Members Posted October 10, 2024 2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said: I think Onyx might be talking about this:- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt33481094/ Yeah that's it. Didn't realise there were two 'versions'. Explains the confusion! Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.