Mr_Danger Posted November 13, 2024 Posted November 13, 2024 Their production values are insane for a service I imagine is nowhere near to breaking even and they’ll never pad out with cheap content filler. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted November 13, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 13, 2024 23 minutes ago, Merzbow said: Finally got around to watching Severance and yeah, what a show. I wasn't too in to some of the goofiness at first but then I took a second and realised these are freshly born people pretty soon after, probably should have got that right away but hey.. is Apple+ putting out all the best shows or what now? They don't have much on there compared to other services but they are producing quality art unlike many. Apple TV+ has always felt quality over quantity to me. That said I’m friends with someone who worked on Wolfboy for them and they got proper stiffed on the money by how it was released so they seem to be run exactly the same as the other services in that regard unfortunately. Quote
Paid Members CleetusVanDamme Posted November 13, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 13, 2024 Between Sky, Playstation and buying a couple of games from Curry's I've had about 2 years of free Apple TV so far, Gotta love them, no chance they're profitable. Quote
Merzbow Posted November 13, 2024 Posted November 13, 2024 Decades of profit from child labour made phones and laptops means they can likely take a sizable loss. Quote
Merzbow Posted November 18, 2024 Posted November 18, 2024 (edited) Double post but I've started Foundation and it's not bad, a little dry but a solid sci-fi with some cool ideas. I'm fine with the ultra slow pacing and time jumps but the dialogue can be pretty dull or wooden at times. I hear season 2 picks up. I don't think anything will ever live up to The Expanse, it's as close to perfect as a space show can be and I can't help but compare everything to it. Edited November 18, 2024 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted November 18, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 18, 2024 2 hours ago, Merzbow said: Double post but I've started Foundation and it's not bad, a little dry but a solid sci-fi with some cool ideas. I'm fine with the ultra slow pacing and time jumps but the dialogue can be pretty dull or wooden at times. I hear season 2 picks up. I don't think anything will ever live up to The Expanse, it's as close to perfect as a space show can be and I can't help but compare everything to it. The Expanse is one of the best sci-films shows ever. It has everything: space swashbuckling, action, noir detective thriller, political intrigue drama, a bit of alien horror, and a host of fascinating characters. Also Shohreh Aghdashloo looking like class and sounding like filth. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 My old housemate was very into that, but every time I walked in when he was watching it, Jared Harris seemed to be on screen doing a Jamaican accent. It put me off giving it a go. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 17 minutes ago, gmoney said: My old housemate was very into that, but every time I walked in when he was watching it, Jared Harris seemed to be on screen doing a Jamaican accent. It put me off giving it a go. It's Belter creole - not sure if it's described specifically in the books, but it's meant to be a fusion of the accents of all the workers who migrated to the Belt. The main base appears to be Chinese/HK, and a few African and Caribbean dialects in there, along with a host of others. Quote
Merzbow Posted November 19, 2024 Posted November 19, 2024 20 minutes ago, gmoney said: Jared Harris seemed to be on screen doing a Jamaican accent. Ha, yeah there's a dialect inspired by Haitian Creole created for the people living between Earth and Mars, the Belters. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 This explains better: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belter_Creole Quote Belter Creole, also simply known as Belter (Belter Creole: lang belta), is a constructed language developed by the linguist and polyglot Nick Farmer for The Expanse television series. In the universe, it was spoken by Belters, inhabitants of the asteroid belt and the moons of outer planets of the Solar System.[1] Farmer was commissioned to create the language during the productions of the first season of the show, between 2014 and 2015. While developing the language, he had modeled it as a creole based on English, with influence from other languages from all around the world, including Romance languages such as Spanish, French, Portuguese and Italian, Germanic languages such as German, Dutch and Swedish, Slavic languages such as Polish, Russian and Ukrainian, as well as Japanese, Chinese, Persian, Arabic, Hebrew, Zulu and others.[1][2][3] As a result of his work, Farmer had created over 1000 words for his language, adding more to the list if requested by the show's producers and fans.[1] Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 I love seasons 1-3 of The Expanse but 4-6 didn't do too much for me. I don't know if it's because the source material isn't as good (I've reads books 1-4 and 4 is definitely the weakest) but the excitement and tension definitely drops off significantly. 5-6 are massively hampered by Marcos Inaros who is a very boring character played very badly by terrible actor. Going from the gripping protomolecule stuff to that dull twat is a huge downgrade. But yeah seasons 1-3 are ace. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 18 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: I love seasons 1-3 of The Expanse but 4-6 didn't do too much for me. I don't know if it's because the source material isn't as good (I've reads books 1-4 and 4 is definitely the weakest) but the excitement and tension definitely drops off significantly. 5-6 are massively hampered by Marcos Inaros who is a very boring character played very badly by terrible actor. Going from the gripping protomolecule stuff to that dull twat is a huge downgrade. But yeah seasons 1-3 are ace. For me, season 3 is the weakest, but still decent, and Marco Inaros, whilst being played by a not-so-great actor, is a superb villain, as I wanted him dead the moment I clapped eyes on him. Of course, I could do without the coded lib-centrist dog-whistle that "all revolutionary leaders that espouse socialist principles are all in reality crypto-fascist psychopaths", but you can't have everything. Quote
Merzbow Posted November 19, 2024 Posted November 19, 2024 (edited) Oh let's go! ?? Edited November 19, 2024 by Merzbow Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted November 19, 2024 Paid Members Posted November 19, 2024 @Merzbow What did you think of Season 2? I really liked all the 90s stuff and still think that's the stronger part of the show, but the modern-day bits fell off a cliff for me when they went the wellness retreat route. Just wasn't arsed about that storyline at all. Quote
Merzbow Posted November 19, 2024 Posted November 19, 2024 You could tell a lot of the modern day stuff in season 2 wasn't originally part of the show's story, in fact it was meant to be a one and done show until they were pushed to carry on. I still enjoyed it though, Melanie Lynskey was more than good enough to carry it regardless of writing quality and I'm still curious where they go from the retreat. I'm mostly wondering how far they'll push things, the show got really dark and grimey at times. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.