Dai Posted July 2, 2024 Posted July 2, 2024 I read that within six months the guy behind The Bear wrote and filmed 20 episodes, and edited 10 to be ready for air, which seems insane. I think the article said the creator knows he won't be able to get the three stars back together again for probably years, so crammed it all in when he could. I know two people who watched it and weren't that impressed, but its seemingly a choice of a rushed couple of seasons or no seasons at all. After asking for recommendations here, I really enjoyed The Responder. It takes a few episodes to get used to Martin Freeman as a Scouser, but he's superb in it. A few people here recommended Lost Boys and Fairies too, so we watched that too. That last episode was something special. Outstanding stuff, and really shows how much you can actually back into just 3 hours of TV. Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 6, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 6, 2024 Currently in the middle of series 3 of The Bear, and you can definitely tell it's not quite as well thought out as before, and material is being stretched thin. Having said that, it's still enjoyable and I'm still invested. There's a scene at a funeral early on, and you see Tina accompanied by her husband. It's the first time we see him and me and the missus cheered as he's played by Liza Colon Zayas' real life husband David Zayas, aka Enrique Morales from Oz, which we're also watching. I thought it might just be a one off as he doesn't speak, but we were delighted when he returned in a later episode, speaking part and everything. Quote
Paid Members Jazzy G Posted July 8, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 8, 2024 Got through series three of The Outlaws on iPlayer last night. It had a slightly different feel from the other two series. Felt a bit rushed as they only got 5 episodes, and there were a lot of subplots going on. Nice that Walken got a little appearance, even if it wasn't as big a part as it had previously been. It all got wrapped up in a neat little package. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted July 8, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted July 8, 2024 Thanks for The 8 Show recommendation, @TildeGuy~!, we enjoyed that. A couple of holes in the rules, we thought, and it felt a bit stretched in the middle but it was really well acted and unpredictable. Would be up for a second series. Quote
TibBo Posted July 9, 2024 Posted July 9, 2024 I didn't think the 8 Show was very good. Really liked the general premise, but it just failed to really pay-off for me and didn't really have any depth. Felt like they had written a 2 hour show and then repeated bits over and over again to fill more time. I don't think it was helped by the soundtrack which didn't seem to know whether the scenes were meant to be dramatic or comedic at times. Quote
kidzero Posted July 20, 2024 Posted July 20, 2024 I'm currently watching brotherhood on paramount plus also animal kingdom which is on prime only on the first season of both of them but enjoyable so far. Quote
TildeGuy~! Posted July 21, 2024 Posted July 21, 2024 On 7/8/2024 at 10:35 PM, Devon Malcolm said: Thanks for The 8 Show recommendation, @TildeGuy~!, we enjoyed that. A couple of holes in the rules, we thought, and it felt a bit stretched in the middle but it was really well acted and unpredictable. Would be up for a second series. Don’t know how I’ve only just seen this but yea, the acting by the main actress who lived on the 8th floor(Chun Woo-Hee) kept me interested throughout. Quote
Merzbow Posted July 22, 2024 Posted July 22, 2024 (edited) I caught The Turkish Detective on iPlayer and it's pretty decent, not on the level of many of their other cop dramas but also not as grim or depressing. I also started watching The Jetty on the same platform, yet another mystery of a missing/dead teenage girl in a quirky sleepy town, it's completely unoriginal but pretty effective. There seems to be an ever so slight "spooky" element here, nothing like a black lodge or anything but it's there. Edited July 22, 2024 by Merzbow Quote
DavidB6937 Posted July 22, 2024 Posted July 22, 2024 I'm unsure about The Jetty. Mostly because I had no clue what was going on until the last episode. Quote
wordsfromlee Posted July 22, 2024 Posted July 22, 2024 I thought The Jetty was a boring, by the numbers BBC cop drama. I found it really hard to believe Jenna Coleman was the mum to a 17 year old daughter. I know she's technically old enough, but she looks the same age as them. Felt like proper nonce bait too. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted July 22, 2024 Posted July 22, 2024 Yeah that one girl was written really badly. All felt like random attempts to shock with no meaning. Spoiler Especially the horse. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 22, 2024 Members Posted July 22, 2024 (edited) I watched a whole series of The Osbournes yesterday and am now working through episodes of Jackass. Fun. If anyone wants me, I'll be down the K Swiss shop trying on Von Dutch hats or something equally 2002. And as I write this, this scene has just come on. Everything is UKFF Edited July 22, 2024 by SuperBacon Never liked Preston Lacey Quote
Chili Posted July 22, 2024 Posted July 22, 2024 (edited) I've began rewatching (or in some cases first time viewing) The Bill. I never knew the first three series were all post-watershed so it's rather jarring hearing proper swearing, slightly more violence and tits out. Just started Series 4 (1988) where the episodes go to half an hour but they triple the amount of episodes making it more of a serial. I think it's rather forgotten how incredibly good it is as a show, there's a lot of 'it was a different time' language going on but it's genuinely really well written and I've generally just really enjoying watching a show I was probably too young to properly enjoy as a kid. Some of the performances are really fantastic and it's great seeing basically every UK actor popping up in it. If anyone loses their mind and fancies a rewatch I recommend 'Hostage' from Season 2 that has a brilliant performance from Eric Richard's Sgt. Cryer and practically any episode with DS Ted Roach being an absolute mega bastard whisky guzzling super cop who GOD DAMN GETS RESULTS! Great show. Edited July 22, 2024 by Chili MOVE MOVE MOVE. LETS HIT THE GAFF! Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted July 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted July 22, 2024 I'll vouch for The Bill being pretty consistently good until they fucked about with it in the late 90s, possibly early 2000s and made it more of a soap. The filmed it in and around South London/Sutton and my dad used to see the cast in the pub all the time. The only things I remember him noting were that Sergeant Cryer used to wear a cravat and Chief Inspector Derek Conway was an absolute piss artist and was often on the verge of being thrown out. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted July 22, 2024 Members Posted July 22, 2024 Quite a bit on the Cambridge Estate in Kingston as well, where I lived for a few years. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.