Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

Roundup of the TV I watched in 2024: (I know it's not much at all but I'm much more of a film guy than a TV guy)

What If (Season 2) - Don't remember anything about it now. It was probably shite. All I can recall is a fairly okay Die Hard rip-off episode.

A Murder At The End Of The World - I liked a lot of the individual performances (especially Harris Dickinson) and enjoyed the central mystery, but I dunno - something about this just didn't quite gel for me. It was fine, but I guess I expect a little more from a Brit Marling project. The final reveal was quite flat too.

The Sixth Commandment - I thought this was phenomenal. I'm not huge on the true crime genre but it felt like it was done quite respectfully with some care here. Éanna Hardwicke playing the real-life murderer Ben Field was one of the most unsettling portrayals of evil I can remember. Fuck that guy (the murderer obviously, not the actor!)

X-Men '97 - Baffled as to the good reviews this got - I thought it was boring and also somewhat confusing for what is basically a Saturday morning kids cartoon. 

This Country (all of it) - Why did it take me so long to watch this? It instantly became one of my favourite ever comedies, absolutely incredible. Weirdly, I don't tend to full-on laugh at comedies (I'm more of as gentle smile and little chuckle type) but this had me full on laughing my head off with pretty much every episode. The court sketch of Kerry was a particular highlight.

Succession (all of it) - I did really like it and it had some absolutely fantastic individual episodes, I just don't think it's the all-timer show a lot of people do. For me it went in circles and hit the same beats just a few too many times - season 3 in particular felt pretty unneccesary and just a rehash of what had come before. It ended incredibly strongly though, and the performances were obviously top-notch. Maybe if it had been 3 seasons instead of 4 I would think of it as a classic.

Yellowjackets (Season 2) - I'm a massive fan of the 90s cabin-set stuff, all of that worked great and the whole 90s aesthetic is just really enjoyable. The modern-day stuff really fell off a cliff though and it's already showing some signs of Lost-esque 'they don't know where they're going with this'. I hope I'm wrong. 

Ted Lasso (all of it) - A very weird show, this. It veers between being very good and very bad from scene to scene, even down to the performances. I don't think I've ever watched a show where there's such a gulf between the good stuff and the bad stuff. Obviously as it's an American production the portrayal of football is completely ridiculous and stupid.

The Acolyte - The Aco-shite, more like. This may have put the final nail in the Star Wars coffin for me for a while, I just can't be arsed with that franchise now.

Barry (all of it) - I was always going to love this. Anything with that slightly Coens/McDonagh/etc sensibility is right up my street, and I'm a big Bill Hader fan anyway. Never went the way I expected, was filled with interesting and funny characters. Just a great, great show. Maybe a little too many coincidences plot-wise but I can live with that as long as the general writing is this good.

Still need to catch up with the new Only Murders In The Building, The Bear and Agatha All Along. I'm sure I'll get to them sometime in 2027 at current pace.

Posted

For anyone who is a huge fan of Korean shows like myself Netflix have signed a deal with SBS(Korean television company) and all of their top shows will begin streaming internationally on Netflix beginning January 6th

Posted
14 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

For anyone who is a huge fan of Korean shows like myself Netflix have signed a deal with SBS(Korean television company) and all of their top shows will begin streaming internationally on Netflix beginning January 6th

Any particular recommendations?

  • Paid Members
Posted
13 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

Any particular recommendations?

I saw they were adding Chef & My Fridge back on. It’s a variety cooking show where they get celebrities on and Through The Keyhole style mooch about in their fridge at home, then celebrity chefs have to cook some decent food out of it. If you’ve seen any of the other foreign cooking shows like that Black and White Spoon “Culinary Class Wars” you’ll recognise a few of the chefs, but Gordon Ramsey and a few others appear on there as guests.

The hosts are really funny, there’s a lot of piss taking. I was hooked on it back when it was on there originally. There’s one episode in particular one of the celebrities tries to eat a bite of steak and his tiny mouth can’t fit it in and the entire rest of the episode is everyone sat ripping into him.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Any particular recommendations?

Running Man is one of their biggest variety game shows, if you enjoy football shows The Gentleman’s League which is already on there is about sports personalities from other sports starting up an 11 a side team and Shooting Stars/Kick A Goal which is a show that consists of 8 5-a-side teams consisting of women celebs playing in tournaments against each other, they’re coached by former Korean men’s international players.

There is tons of clips for Shooting Stars and Running Man on YouTube for you to take a look at to see if it’s your cup of tea.

Edited by TildeGuy~!
Posted

Man on the Inside (Netflix) is the perfect palate cleanser after Squid Game. Just a charming comedy that breezes past. Ted Danson is unsurprisingly brilliant. Created by Michael Schur who was also behind The Office, Parks and Rec, The Good Place and B99. What a guy.

Posted (edited)

TV round up for me

Afterparty Season 2: I preferred season 1, mainly because I preferred the cast, but I did like the creative approaches to new genres and it is still a laugh.

Miracle Workers season 4: Such a silly show, but good fun, Daniel Radcliffe having a great time. Lots of Mad Max parodies but some Dune and Matrix bits thrown in.

Jury Duty: In a search for more light comedy, I stuck on Jury Duty, and had a really good time, James Marsden is great, the story was built up enough even with all that was going on with Ronald.

The Curse: The opposite of light comedy but something I couldn't keep my eyes off. Possibly the peak of cringe comedy. Also I watched a lot of these episodes while my youngest daughter slept on my shoulder

Atlanta Season 2, 3 and 4: Watched season 1 a few years ago and kept meaning to go and finally did and it's great, weird, funny, I enjoyed the season 3 europe stuff even though it seems a lot of other people didn't. Maybe because I didn't have a years long wait and wasn't watching it week to week. But yes really, one of the great shows of the past few years.

How to With John Wilson Season 3: Was so happy when I saw this was on iPlayer, I loved season 1 and 2. I do think it's so clever the way he uses the footage to make jokes around the narrative, and it ends up in such weird and fascinating places, can't wait to see what he does next.

Invincible Season 2: The first season was such a moment, that I knew it would be hard to recapture it, but once it going, it got really good, though I'll be honest, I feel like I've forgotten quite a bit of it.

Harley Quinn Season 4: Another one I remember enjoying at the time, but feeling like it's a bit of a slog.

Ramy Season 3: had the bizarre experience of watching this on Prime where there wasn't English subs, so having to stick on Spanish subs to understand the bits in Arabic. Anyways, such a good show, Ramy continues to be a bit of a scumbag, but his continuous downfall and small attempts to better himself are great to watch and the rest of the cast are so interesting to watch when you get their episodes.

I'm A Virgo: The Boots Riley show, I preferred this to Sorry To Bother You. I thought it was really inventive with the world it was creating, Walton Goggins is great as usual, and of course, being Boots Riley, there is a wider message at play.

Watchmen: I had started this in 2023 and never carried on but decided to finish this in 2024 and it was amazing and the start of a Damon Lindelof marathon for the year.

Loki Season 2/She Hulk/Moon Knight/Hawkeye/Echo - decided to catch up on some Marvel. Bit of a mixed bag. Found the concept of Moon Knight really good, but then felt it got a bit boring. Echo I know was not a good show but enjoyed it. She Hulk, I know it got slated, but I really enjoyed it for what it was. Hawkeye was a cool Christmas show and I really enjoyed Loki despite thinking season 1 was better

X-Men 97: Had to separate this from the other Marvel stuff as this is a big deal. A show that is so much better than it had any right to be, a show that could have just been a nostalgia cash in, but instead took what was a show for children when we were children, and made it for us now. Was great to see Cyclops rehabilitated, some amazing action scenes, drama, the theme is still amazing, and the big set pieces were crazy. A highlight of the year for me

Girls5Eva Season 3: The continuation of the Tina Fey 30 Rock/Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt joke a minute type show and did exactly what it said on the tin, hilarious, some good songs, shame Netflix has cancelled it.

Reservation Dog Season 1 2 and 3: Possibly one of my favourite shows of all time? Just so well done, so genuine, funny, heartwarming, fascinating insight into their culture, a high that I have been chasing since.

Somebody Somewhere Season 1: Started this show as a I saw Joe Pera comparisons. Not quite what Joe Pera is, but a lovely hang out show, with characters you quickly grow to like.

We Are Lady Parts Season 1 and 2: Very fun, very cool things done visually (almost some Spaced/Edgar Wright similarities) 

Los Espookys Season 1: A weird, fun little show, very creative

Fantasmas: Following from Espookys, I watched Fantasmas, which cranks the weird up, but some really funny sketches set within the frame of the show.

The Leftovers Season 1, 2 and 3: Bloody hell, I had read how much people loved it, and tried watching it, but never fully got into it. But decided, following Watchmen, that I should finally commit to it, and what a ride. That first season, so depressing but so fascinating to watch. Season 2 had a weird small town with a secret, one of my favourite tropes, and season 3, just blowing it all apart, building up to the possibly apocalypse. Truly an amazing show, one I would recommend to anyone.

Heels Season 2: The melodrama, the cameos, the weird script writing, I love this show, bring it back, give it 5 more seasons.

Things You Should Have Done: a BBC sitcom from a YouTube comedian wasn't my first choice, but a lot of people whose opinion I like talked it up so I gave it a go. Really, really funny, some of the silliest characters on screen but loveable in the end.

Mrs. Davis: Finished up the Damon Lindelof watchathon and 2024 with Mrs. Davis. Started off really strong, felt like it started to drag a bit (might be done to the adverts on ITVX if I'm honest) but I liked it in the end, a fun little watch.

 

On 12/31/2024 at 11:15 PM, Lorne Malvo said:

Roundup of the TV I watched in 2024: (I know it's not much at all but I'm much more of a film guy than a TV guy)

This Country (all of it) - Why did it take me so long to watch this? It instantly became one of my favourite ever comedies, absolutely incredible. Weirdly, I don't tend to full-on laugh at comedies (I'm more of as gentle smile and little chuckle type) but this had me full on laughing my head off with pretty much every episode. The court sketch of Kerry was a particular highlight.

 

So I know Twitter is a nonsense place, and engagement baiting is a big thing for blue tick accounts to get money, so I very rarely get bothered by then. But I saw a tweet talking about " there's been no good sitcoms in the past 15 years" which is nonsense in it itself. But then the person started talking about "even the UK, there's nothing like Only Fools and Horses" and it irrationally annoyed me because there's been things like This Country, Stath Lets Flats, Detectorists, People Just Do Nothing in that time. 

 

Edited by abucalves
Forgot to write about X-Men 97
Posted
10 minutes ago, abucalves said:

The Leftovers Season 1, 2 and 3: Bloody hell, I had read how much people loved it, and tried watching it, but never fully got into it. But decided, following Watchmen, that I should finally commit to it, and what a ride. That first season, so depressing but so fascinating to watch. Season 2 had a weird small town with a secret, one of my favourite tropes, and season 3, just blowing it all apart, building up to the possibly apocalypse. Truly an amazing show, one I would recommend to anyone.

 

I love when people find this show, or try it again and really get into it. I adored it when it aired and I've rewatched it more times than I care to remember, but it's still one of the most powerful and emotional things I've ever watched. The performances are right up there with the best I've seen in any TV show.

Posted

I've been watching For All Mankind and while it's often a bit wooden and clunky it's been a pretty good watch, it makes for solid background watching. Season 2 just kicked off and it seems to be taking things up by a couple of notches.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 1/6/2025 at 10:31 AM, abucalves said:

I'm A Virgo: The Boots Riley show, I preferred this to Sorry To Bother You. I thought it was really inventive with the world it was creating, Walton Goggins is great as usual, and of course, being Boots Riley, there is a wider message at play.

If there’s an opposite to being typecast, it’s Walton Goggins. It’s kind of baffling that he’s frequently overlooked for major awards. It’s pretty astounding how many memorable characters he’s played in the past year or so alone - Baby Billy in The Righteous Gemstones, The Ghoul in Fallout, Cecil in Invincible and the hero in I’m a Virgo. Then you have Boyd in Justified, Shane in The Shield - he’s seriously underrated, what a talent.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2025 at 10:43 AM, DavidB6937 said:

I love when people find this show, or try it again and really get into it. I adored it when it aired and I've rewatched it more times than I care to remember, but it's still one of the most powerful and emotional things I've ever watched. The performances are right up there with the best I've seen in any TV show.

Spoiler

The ending of season 2 completely ruined me. Kevin finally at a place where home and his core people are not only enough for him but now the thing he wants and needs more than anything. Telling John he can come over if his own family aren’t there, then the reveals of everyone’s smiling faces.  One of the most well earned and immensely satisfying reunions ever. I think a still of Ecclestone’s smile from that scene on its own would have a good chance of setting me off. Incredible show. 
 

 

 

Edited by JLM
Posted

The Leftovers is seriously overlooked. What can’t be overstated enough is how great that ending lands. He gets a lot of shit for his wonky endings and reveals/lack of reveals but to me The Leftovers was perfectly balanced and paced.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Seriously underrated from that show is how terrifying Liv Tyler is in it.

Lindelof gets a lot of shit for Lost (and rightfully so for some of it) but I think he's the absolute master of twists. Lost, The Leftovers and Watchmen all have some of the best twists you'll ever see in a TV show. I can't think of anything else that even comes close in comparison.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...