Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted

A bunch of tv shows I've been watching the past few months.

Sweetpea (Sky/Now TV) - Ella Purnell plays a woman who has been bullied and ignored all her life and then one day snaps after her fathers death. Didn't think I'd enjoy it after seeing the trailers but really enjoyed it. Looking forward to a second season. It's nothing blow away special or a must watch. But it did get me hooked once it really got going.

Rivals (Disney+) - Disney just got sexy. Tits and arse aplenty in the show based on the Jilly Cooper book. All centred around programming, politics, poshos and affairs. Danny Dyer plays someone soppy and not a geezer to show us he has range. Alex Hassell is really good in this and I'm a little bit in love with Bella Maclean. Also getting a second series.

Bad Sisters (Apple TV) - I was surprised they did a second series, but it worked. Not a patch on the first but still good. Fiona Shaw is brilliant as the horrible, interfering neighbour. Satisfying ending. 

Dexter: Original Sin (Paramount+) - So after they tried to fix how the main series ended with New Blood and fucked the ending again (a great show up until that point), they are giving it a third go at closure with Dexter: Resurrection. But before that, we go back in time to the 80s? 90s? I'm not sure. But back to when Dexter starts at Miami Metro and as a serial killer. The casting is spot on for Dexter, Deb, Batista, Mousaka and LaGuerta. Christian Slater steps into James Remar's shoes to play Dexters dad. I enjoyed this. It was ropey in some parts, a slight timeline confusion and retcon. But it served a purpose and the last few episodes were good.

Alfred Hitchcock: Presents (Prime) - Just great stuff. One of the best anthology series ever. Hitchcock is wonderful when he's on the screen. 

The Shield (Prime) - The most underrated tv show of all time? I think so. This was my third re-watch and I got through it very quickly as it does fly by. Vic Mackey is up there with Tony Soprano as one of the greatest tv characters ever created. As well as the most horrible who deserves his downfall. I'd actually say Vic is worse than Tony as a person. Great performances from everyone involved but especially Michael Chiklis, Walton Goggins (last season in particular), Jay Karnes (barring one scene which I hate), Forrest Whittaker who was so so good in Season 5 as the dickhead IAD Lieutenant coming after our antihero. David Rees Snell shined as Ronnie in the final season. But the MVP is CCH Pounder. An incredible performance throughout the 7 seasons. Just little things she done on screen as Claudette Wyms was perfect. She should've got all the awards. The show had the best ending to a tv show in my opinion. It was tragic. It was satisfying. Characters got what they deserved. Well...

Spoiler

Vic should've gone to prison. But a life behind a desk and never been able to see his family again, his friends all gone. He was in his own hell.

Only downsides were the first half of season 7 dragged a little. And David Aceveda is the early example of Ann Perkins syndrome. In fact, it should be renamed in his honour.

  • Paid Members
Posted
14 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

The cat, I assume.

The Shield is probably in my top 5 shows ever. I haven’t seen it for a years, it’s definitely overdue for a rewatch. 

Indeed. I mean, there was reasoning behind Dutch doing it. But I hate it.

Posted

Yellowjackets continues to be pretty disappointing even if quite a bit happened this week, they've also got Sophie Thatcher doing a comical Juliette Lewis impression right now.

Posted

Just binge watched A Thousand Blows, crime and bareknuckle fighting drama set in 1800s London with characters loosely based on real people 

Also features the famous 'Forty Elephants/Forty Thieves' all women crime gang.

Was right up my street this, loved it and Stephen Graham never misses and he certainly didn't as Sugar Goodson.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I've got to agree with NY that Punchy Blinders is well worth a watch and if you like the Steve Knight style then this should be right down your strasse. On top of that Stephen Graham is a wonderful actor, easily one of my favourite actors at the minute. 

Posted

Currently watching Rian Johnson's, comedy crime whodunnit, Poker Face. Natasha Lyonne stars as Charlie, a woman on the run who has a six sense for someone telling truths/lies. Each episode, is a self-contained story. Similar to Columbo, where you are introduced to the characters, the killing and then Charlie turns up and gets involved in solving the murder.

  • Paid Members
Posted

It was a bit of a gut punch for my sister when A Thousand Blows came out; the last three years she's been working on researching and writing a series about the Forty Elephants and Alice Diamond. ATB coming out and the featuring of the Elephants means it's most likely the production company will do a spinoff series if ATB is successful. She's really disappointed, but it happens.

Posted (edited)
On 2/27/2025 at 11:34 PM, TheBurningRed said:

 

Dexter: Original Sin (Paramount+) - So after they tried to fix how the main series ended with New Blood and fucked the ending again (a great show up until that point), they are giving it a third go at closure with Dexter: Resurrection. But before that, we go back in time to the 80s? 90s? I'm not sure. But back to when Dexter starts at Miami Metro and as a serial killer. The casting is spot on for Dexter, Deb, Batista, Mousaka and LaGuerta. Christian Slater steps into James Remar's shoes to play Dexters dad. I enjoyed this. It was ropey in some parts, a slight timeline confusion and retcon. But it served a purpose and the last few episodes were good.

 

The wife & I have just finished watching this too. Not sure if it’s going to be an ongoing thing, having it come back would basically just be Dexter: Just A Bit Earlier, but it’s a nice companion piece to the main series. Everyone was well cast to their original show counterparts, although Christian Slater is a bit iffy in playing Harry. I’ve nothing against Slater (not seen much of him outside of his True Romance heyday but he’s fine in what I have seen him in), but he just doesn’t seem to quite work here.
The show seems to have had fairly decent reviews and apparently it’s done decent numbers. If Dexter: Resurrection is also a success, maybe they’ll alternate between the two each year?

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
Posted
7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Not sure if it’s going to be an ongoing thing

I think they will definitely do a second season. Maybe to tie in with Resurrection in some way. But I can’t see anymore than that. I think something has to happen with Sarah Michelle Gellars character.

I’m really looking forward to Resurrection. I can’t wait to be let down again. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...