Paid Members Carbomb Posted March 19, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 19, 2025 I've only seen the Bob Mortimer/Sally Phillips season. I will watch the others eventually, but I just cannot conceive how it will compete with Bob's high anus and taking revenge against the Woolwich ferry with gallons of piss, or Sally banging a water cooler. Quote
Awards Moderator HarmonicGenerator Posted March 20, 2025 Awards Moderator Posted March 20, 2025 Add me to those who say season 7 (the Jessica Knappett season) is the best. 9 is another favourite, and they’ve been on a good run from 14 onwards when I look at the line-ups. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted March 20, 2025 Posted March 20, 2025 I'm not sure I can even pick a favourite season. I think I've enjoyed every single one and there's always been something that stands out for me. Just a great format and something I can always stick on to make me smile. Quote
Paid Members Scratch Posted March 20, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 20, 2025 Mrs Scratch and I are 4 episodes in to Prime Target on Apple TV and it’s absolute dog dump. It plods along being utterly uninteresting and can’t shake of the overwhelming feeling of being made by film students with limited talent and budget. The premise is ridiculous, every character is tediously annoying nothing remotely interesting happens. It annoys me even more that it’s getting in the way of starting Adolescence, but having reached half way my wife wants to finish it. It bucks the trend of everything else on Apppe TV being excellent in a big, big way. But Severance continues to be the best thing ever, so it’s not all doom and gloom. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted March 20, 2025 Posted March 20, 2025 8 minutes ago, Scratch said: Mrs Scratch and I are 4 episodes in to Prime Target on Apple TV and it’s absolute dog dump. It plods along being utterly uninteresting and can’t shake of the overwhelming feeling of being made by film students with limited talent and budget. The premise is ridiculous, every character is tediously annoying nothing remotely interesting happens. It annoys me even more that it’s getting in the way of starting Adolescence, but having reached half way my wife wants to finish it. It bucks the trend of everything else on Apppe TV being excellent in a big, big way. But Severance continues to be the best thing ever, so it’s not all doom and gloom. Ah that's a shame. That was going to be my next watch on Apple once Severance S2 is finished. As you say, pretty much everything on Apple is decent. Quote
Merzbow Posted March 21, 2025 Posted March 21, 2025 Severance.. Spoiler Fuck you, Mark S. Ben Stiller just directed the second greatest TV show about doppelgangers. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted March 21, 2025 Posted March 21, 2025 That Severance S2 finale was a fucking rollercoaster. I laughed. I teared up. I cheered. I danced. Absolutely madness in the best way. Quote
organizedkaos Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 On 3/19/2025 at 12:35 PM, Merzbow said: How's the Chucky TV show? I kinda need something a bit daft that isn't anime. Fun enough? I think I got through about 2 seasons before getting bored (and yeah I wanted something daft and energetic). I genuinely can't think of much to say, it holds off on tying into the films til you're used to the new characters but does eventually. It doesn't hold back on the gore. Can't say I was ever hugely invested but found it generally entertaining Quote
Merzbow Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 2 minutes ago, organizedkaos said: Fun enough? I think I got through about 2 seasons before getting bored (and yeah I wanted something daft and energetic). I genuinely can't think of much to say, it holds off on tying into the films til you're used to the new characters but does eventually. It doesn't hold back on the gore. Can't say I was ever hugely invested but found it generally entertaining I've watched a few episodes and found it to be pretty fun, surprisingly "woke" too. Kinda spoiled it for myself when Chucky mentioned having a non-binary child and then seeing who's going to act as them, a really good choice of actor too. Quote
organizedkaos Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 Yeah i wasn't even sure if mentioning that aspect was worth noting (because it us notable) or to talk like it's the world I want it to be where it needn't be notable.. Having a gay protagonist (and thus main romance be queer) where the story isn't about their sexuality although it is part of their narrative (cos they're a teenager and it would be) is p rare Quote
TibBo Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 I still find it bizarre that they had Devon Sawa play the kids dad/uncle in the first few series, and then they cast him as the priest in the next series and no-one mentions anything about him looking familiar etc. Quote
organizedkaos Posted March 22, 2025 Posted March 22, 2025 I thought it worked as just an amusing wonky thing about the show. Likely they either liked the guy or he was a big enough name they wanted to keep him but it worked well enough with the shows semi self aware nature It's no clever thematic stuff like Garrett Dillanhaut (sp?) In Deadwood. I guess you can argue he's sort of a similar role, although Spoiler His priest character felt a lot more understanding (once shit went down) than the Dad character Quote
DavidB6937 Posted March 23, 2025 Posted March 23, 2025 Decided to give Last One Laughing UK a go on Amazon after seeing it mentioned. Honestly I'm surprised I didn't give up after the first episode because the whole thing just felt so awkward. But somehow somewhere things managed to click enough for me to start enjoying it. I'm mostly watching for Bob Mortimer and Joe Wilkinson who I'd last about 5 seconds with if I was in there. But they've all won me over in their own ways. I also completely appreciate the randomness of the whole thing. Definitely my kind of show. Especially Spoiler Danny Dyer randomly turning up and Richard's joy at that So yeah, one of those things that on a surface level is extremely hateable but the sheer ridiculous nature of it all does win in the end. If that's your sort of thing. Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted March 23, 2025 Paid Members Posted March 23, 2025 2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said: Honestly I'm surprised I didn't give up after the first episode because the whole thing just felt so awkward. I felt exactly the same, especially with Richard Ayoade’s behaviour, utterly refusing to break character from the very start, it felt really uncomfortable. But like you, it won me over. Bob Mortimer’s song in particular was absolutely tremendous. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted March 23, 2025 Posted March 23, 2025 18 minutes ago, RedTwoster said: I felt exactly the same, especially with Richard Ayoade’s behaviour, utterly refusing to break character from the very start, it felt really uncomfortable. But like you, it won me over. Bob Mortimer’s song in particular was absolutely tremendous. It's definitely better once the cracks start to appear and you can tell they're all struggling. Some of the stuff that has broken them so far has been the most basic and stupid things but it somehow makes it better. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.