The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

Big fan of that Cena/Theory segment. If you’ve only watched the short portion on WWE’s YouTube channel, do yourselves a favour and hunt the full segment.

I’m intrigued though, how that differs in any way, to when The Rock has been shit on multiple times in the past, for coming in, burying the full timers in promos, and then fucking back off to Hollywood?

Man, it's a pity Cena wouldn't consider coming back as a heel, because a lot of that was pretty shitty.  Burying a young superstar.  Looking at him and Cody there at the end, I was imagining what a pop he'd get if he just dropped Cody at the end of the Raw following WM.

• Paid Members

I don't know why people are calling this a burial, I thought it was really cleverly constructed to work as a reverse psychology storyline. Plenty of weeks to run on this, both of them played their parts superbly. Nice Guy John isn't coming back to make young talent look shit.

Yeah I don't think the burial thing holds water with Austin Theory because he's genuinely already viewed as a bit naff anyway. Don't get me wrong, he looks miles better than last year when he was taking selfies, but the fans do have him pegged as a cookie cutter WWE future-hoper that they've not found enough to cling onto or believe in yet. Cena's promo just called it like it was, and now you can have Theory run that over. 

He's too green for anything else to have been believable. He's not Cena's match, it's not personal. This is the angle. 

• Paid Members

I like Theory and thought he should have stuck with the selfie thing and morphed into a more traditional cowardly heel. I'm interested in where this goes precisely because of Cena's promo suggesting that Theory loses whatever the result is.

• Paid Members

Yeah I don't think that's a burial at all, it's chapter one of the story.  Theory has to convince Cena he's a worthy opponent. Cena wants him to do that because he sees himself in Theory. He's trying to teach the boy, not bury him. If he continues not to take him seriously for the rest of the build and then squashes him at Mania then fair enough, but that is not what this looked to be setting up at all. 

15 hours ago, Loki said:

Man, it's a pity Cena wouldn't consider coming back as a heel, because a lot of that was pretty shitty.  Burying a young superstar.  Looking at him and Cody there at the end, I was imagining what a pop he'd get if he just dropped Cody at the end of the Raw following WM.

They should definitely do that. Then I wouldn't even have Cena appear live for ages after that. Just interrupt Cody every now and then with video messages etc.

Cody vs Cena at Mania 40 for the belt, the ultimate passing of the torch

Theory even just getting to work with Cena at this point in his career means it's not a burial. You can get the rub without having to dominate a feud or anything. Cena knows that.

Plus the fact Theory is a heel means whatever John says isn't exactly going to ruin him.

Nice Guy John? This was the return of the the John Cena who corporate bussed in to tell Roman Reigns he couldn't do "his job."  As good as he is when the bell rings, Cena's always been a corporate yes-man, a middle class WASP covered in his own sponsorship. I'm not aware of a previous instance of reverse psychology working in an angle. To me, it was the epitome of tell-don't-show, manufacturing agency via a literal call to action, rather than it being a logical realisation. Cena's spoon-feeding someone who doesn't have an engaging personal storyline with anyone else on the roster.

Who's the heel and who's the face here? Is Cena the heel for being a bit of a dick and leveraging 15+ years of push to embarrass Theory into stepping up? Is Cena the face because he's given a naff twat some tough love? Is Cena the face because he's Cena? Is Theory the heel for challenging a beloved but "retired" hero? Is Theory going to be face for listening to a bigger boy and doing what he's told??

I don't understand the Austin Theory experiment anyway - we're years deep in giving him tentpole Mania matches, but he's shown absolutely nothing to warrant it. I assume he has the gift of gab backstage because he doesn't have it anywhere else.

The face is the one the fans cheered like mad for, the heel is the one they booed. 

If it's that simple for them, I think we might be just overcomplicating that aspect of it needlessly. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

Nice Guy John? This was the return of the the John Cena who corporate bussed in to tell Roman Reigns he couldn't do "his job." 

How's that worked out for him?

I was completely sucked in right till Sami got his head kicked right off within the final minute of Raw. 

Sami and KO have to tag up. They need to create that situation but I still want it that KO still keeps Sami hanging right up to the night of Mania itself. Challenge for the tag straps on the night.

Part of me thinks it will be carnage and total Wrestlecrap but I am looking forward to Omos Vs Lesnar. 

Was thinking about the situation with Cody and Roman and wondered if you could book a part of the match where Roman is gesturing and nodding to The Rock like he is bigger than him so mocks to do a people's elbow but stops just as he is about to do it. He stops. He looks to the Wiseman. The Wiseman pulls out an elbowpad in the polka dot yellow and black like Dusty and attempts a dream elbow but misses. Cody grabs Roman. Takes the pad off him. Cody put on the elbow pad and says this is for you dad and does the dream elbow.