The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

6 hours ago, Chris B said:

I love the idea of a show putting out something with the intent of letting people know they can safely stop watching.

It’s the future when networks are refusing to cut the parts of the show you want rid of. 

All joking aside and a genuine question, did Heyman not do something like this with one of the ECW slots after falling out with the network?

11 minutes ago, Winston said:

I've not seen much of Raw in recent weeks, just seeing clips of the Judgement Day so far but can't figure out what they are as a group or what their aim is?

Seem quite generic outwith their kinda gothic appearance.

Yeah they were basically a spooky rent-a-mob but in recent weeks with a heavy subtext that heel Dominik Mysterio is Rhea Ripley's sub familiar which has made it far more goofy fun. 

13 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Yeah they were basically a spooky rent-a-mob but in recent weeks with a heavy subtext that heel Dominik Mysterio is Rhea Ripley's sub familiar which has made it far more goofy fun. 

Yeah them as a pair are working quite well. I actually thought Rhea was a quite a bit older than Dom but seems as though they are the same age.

I would have AJ join them to be honest, a tag team of Finn/AJ to carry the belts after the Usos drop them to the next face team sounds good to me.

22 hours ago, air_raid said:

I'd break it up more and instead of 3 relentless hours of the same stuff (plus potential overrun) I'd do something like this, as they love "content", recaps, and the preshow concept.

First Quarter hour : Like a pre-show, but condensed, faster paced and less meaningless crap. Do a quick recap of what happened last week (which they love, because its recycling content they already have), pre-tapes you have of any interviews or a quick look at what the wrestlers have put on their social media, run down what's on tap for tonight's show (get me excited about what's going to happen without a lengthy droning in-ring promo segment). Do loads of touching on the last PPV if this is the first show since.

2nd-5th quarter hour : Do matches and the usual kind of angles that are currently happening on a three hour Raw, but do them for an hour here. Don't do tiresome "moments ago" recaps, they're coming up later when everyone gets time to breathe. ALWAYS start this section with a match, no promos. We've been talked into the building, give us some wrestling.

6th and 7th quarter hours - break up everything you've just been doing and give me a break. Go backstage for some proper mic-in-hand interviews with wrestlers reacting to what's happened to them earlier, or "you're about to wrestle such and such" type things. Have the commentators do some hype for the PPV and touch on what happened on SmackDown too (casual reminder to watch it). If you lost some of your pre-show hype because there's been a PPV, do a bit more hype for what's coming up later. Do some vignettes for forthcoming characters. Fuck it, shill some network specials here too. Invest some time into flogging me anything other than the matches HERE, IN THIS TIME, which feels a bit different from the rest of the show. If people are going to debut or return without having a match, maybe make the habit of doing it here so its got the "something unpredictable usually happens at this predictable time" so fewer people channel hop while they're waiting for more matches.

8th-11th quarter hours : Do more of 2-5 but with different wrestlers.

12th/final quarter hour : go to a studio for a bit of a wrap show. Dwell (briefly) on what happened tonight, what it means for X or Y character going forward. Buzz for anything that's been added for the PPV, hype anything announced for next weeks show, remind the viewers to watch SmackDown, grab 3 minutes with whichever wrestler did something or had something happen that their reaction is the thing you want the fans to remember most. Or drop a bombshell of "BREAKING NEWS!!! - this guy is apparently returning NEXT WEEK OMG!!!!!" to get people talking and wanting to tune in next week, playing off the stuff we already have ruined by the net rather than ignoring it.

Keep it fucking tight, stick to that format rigidly, never run over. Instead of giving me the same format for 2 or 3 hours straight, change the scenery a bit. Then eventually, once its established, you can do one of those unforgettable episodes where the format goes out the window because a new wrestler or invasion force fucks something up, a return shocks the studio so much they abandon what they're supposed to be doing, someone invades the wrap up final quarter or something.

It's just an idea, might not have times right, but I'd do something like that. I know "structure" isn't in fitting with the "anything can happen" feeling that RAW (LIVE!!!111) was supposed to be, but it would break up the monotony of one massive chunk of the same kind of stuff week in week out.

This is where they could use what they've learn from the network/peacock surely. They don't need to repeat the same content but create new "in storyline" content based on it. If the Stone Cold interviews are doing well then find something similar to use for 20 to 30 mins. If it's the Raw Talk/ Talking Smack stuff throw that out there. Even things like table for 3 or quick career recaps on those with big fights coming up would work. Throwing Sami Zayn in the ring with Roman? Have a 30 min section where he recaps his career from the Indies to NXT and his time in WWE before he focuses on real events. If or when Sasha Banks returns instead of letting her spill the beans on Jericho's podcast etc have a sit down with Michael Cole.

I'd even like to see things thrown out with wrestler A,B or C talking about their favourite match when growing up and why which of course is on the network. 

As you say once you establish these concepts you can twist it more with tangles and the unexpected.

One issue might be international markets don't particularly like lengthy talking bits which I think was an issue for them 10 years ago but whenever I've caught WWE abroad most places cut the shows down to 1 to 2 hours and if they don't just tape some extra matches to throw out instead of using the main event logo just tape it with the raw lighting on and everyone is happy. 

• Paid Members

Taking out Asuka and Bliss surely means Sasha and Naomi return at the PPV, right? 

Ken Shamrock should have been the logical choice for the referee in the Fight Pit, shame. This feud needs to end at the PPV, same with Judgement Day / Edge. 

Sami and Jey going at it was good progression, I can see this going with Solo and Jimmy siding with Sami in the short term with Jey being pushed out, before Sami gets too big for his boots.

I really hoped Gargano was going to turn round and give Dexter the thumbs up, although Miz popping up and running off did give me a slight chuckle. 

Bianca Belair is it, isn't she? Her and Montez' kids are going to have it all. Both of them absolutely piss charisma and I really hope Bianca doesn't lose the title at the PPV, although it makes sense she does.

Edited by Nick James

For me, this was the first bad show of the Triple H era. I don't have many positives to say, outside of the fact I enjoyed Chad Gable vs. Brawn Strowman. Rollins bringing up the fact that Matt Riddle can't see his kids once again feels a bit icky. It's very much along the lines of Christian taunting Jungle Boy about the death of his dad, if not worse as it involves vulnerable people who may feel the impact of something like this being said on television. 

References to the "season premiere" felt very Vince McMahon-era also. If you never have an off-season, how can you have a season premiere? Does that mean this show was the season finale?

Judgement Day is WWE's version of the HFO/AHFO/AFO in that they're just tedious. Fair play to them for tweaking it and trying to make it work, but I struggle to care about anything they're involved with. 

Speaking of stables that don't work, Bayley's crew aren't working particularly well either. Much like Judgement Day, I actually like the wrestlers involved, but as a trio they just aren't able to show their full potential. 

I enjoyed it. I think "bad" is probably a bit harsh.

Still agree that I'd happily drop Judgement Day in a heartbeat and have them all go their separate ways. I do admire the effort to make it work but I don't think it's ever getting there, and it's not like you've got 3 completely useless people involved. You know they'll all work out individually.

"Season premiere" is a very easy marketing tool. As much to do with networks as anything. I wouldn't say that's anything Vince-related whatsoever.

Bayley's group doesn't feel quite as bad as Judgement Day in that at least I feel like it's giving two stars an opportunity that didn't have that before on the main roster. I see it more as a starting point for those two rather than a backwards step which is what JD feels like for Balor/Ripley/Priest.

• Paid Members

I'd happily see Finn and Priest go do their own things and occasionally have a loose alliance at this stage, while Rhea and Dom spin off. Their story, goofy as it may be is easily the most interesting facet of the group now. Transition Finn into a solo heel run, with Priest as his muscle ala Bad Luck Fale, and there's something there for all of them I suspect, just perhaps not as a collective unit.  

• Paid Members

Pleased to hear about the return of Cathy Kelley, but pretty dubious about most of the other moves.Cole & Barrett will be decent I guess. Booker T has always been fucking dreadful.

Will be interesting to see what happens when McAfee comes back, which is really only a couple of months away.

Kind of surprised to see Jimmy Smith dumped, of all the "non-wrestling" guys they've tried over the years he's been the only one to hit IMO.