The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

On 10/5/2022 at 9:35 AM, DavidB6937 said:

I enjoyed it. I think "bad" is probably a bit harsh.

You're probably right - the bit that really left a bad taste in my mouth was the stuff relating to Matt Riddle's children. When something is so icky, for me it can overshadow the rest of the show. 

"Season premiere" is a very easy marketing tool. As much to do with networks as anything. I wouldn't say that's anything Vince-related whatsoever.

It's only a marketing tool if it means something, surely? If you're going to do that, I think you have to establish why it matters - maybe have the "season finale" be the draft, and the premiere the first episode with the new roster. If it's just another episode, it's kind of meaningless to the majority of people; I can't imagine it leads to any sort of ratings spike. 

Bayley's group doesn't feel quite as bad as Judgement Day in that at least I feel like it's giving two stars an opportunity that didn't have that before on the main roster. I see it more as a starting point for those two rather than a backwards step which is what JD feels like for Balor/Ripley/Priest.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the logic behind it, and I was really excited about the idea at first. For me though, it's just not working. 

• Paid Members

Good Brothers reportedly coming in. It was pretty obvious if you watched the TV, but even so. Their ability to somehow always be employed by top companies when they’re absolute dog shit is something to behold. Luke Gallows in particular. The mind boggles.

3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Good Brothers reportedly coming in. It was pretty obvious if you watched the TV, but even so. Their ability to somehow always be employed by top companies when they’re absolute dog shit is something to behold. Luke Gallows in particular. The mind boggles.

I reckon they’re going to give AJ Styles the make-a-wish exit, where he gets to work with his mates and have a laugh, in the next year or two so probably helps with that.

3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I would go 'Spoilers!' but it's the Good Brothers so, as you were. :) 

4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Their ability to somehow always be employed by top companies when they’re absolute dog shit is something to behold. 

They're truly heir apparent to the DOA in that sense. 

7 hours ago, Supremo said:

The upside (and this is purely selfish on my part), is as I don't watch any WWE now, for the problems AEW are currently going through... at least one problem they can avoid is having those uninteresting berks back on Dynamite.

Every cloud and that..

• Paid Members
On 10/6/2022 at 7:53 PM, RedRooster said:

It's only a marketing tool if it means something, surely? If you're going to do that, I think you have to establish why it matters - maybe have the "season finale" be the draft, and the premiere the first episode with the new roster. If it's just another episode, it's kind of meaningless to the majority of people; I can't imagine it leads to any sort of ratings spike.

“Season Premiere” is forced upon them by the network who do their “season premiere” at the same time loads of shows have the first episode air of the new series. Example ; the first time I heard of the “season premiere” of Raw in 1995 (coincidentally when we first start getting the show over here), it was the September that NBC aired the first episodes of the new series of ER, Friends, Frasier and Seinfeld. As a concept it’s alien to wrestling that doesn’t have a defined series/season, or it does, it’s Mania and the TVs thereafter that bookend it, not the kids going back to school. TV stations care about it, WWE doesn’t, really. Last time they did we got Raw On The Roof and a dull new theme tune, eventually replaced with the old one.

11 hours ago, Supremo said:

I must admit, I always loved Festus. He had a banger of a match with Undertaker on Smackdown once too, I had high hopes for him after he "turned serious", but clearly I was off-the-mark with that. 

Having said that, and I can't really justify why, I'm quite excited about the prospect of AJ, Balor, Anderson and Gallows all interacting over the coming weeks. 

Another fun episode, with the usual caveat of "it would be better if it were a two hour show". It was really weird to hear an Irish accent on the announce desk. He did well enough, for a first run out. 

The Bloodline stuff was absolutely brilliant, as always. I'm not sure there's a wrestler out there who has consistently been able to make me laugh out loud in the way that Sami does. He's such good value. I can't wait to see what happens on Smackdown, after Jey failed to do what Roman asked. 

I'm surprised that they had Candice LeRae go over Bayley. I'm not sure what it is exactly, but Candice as a face doesn't quite work for me. I thought she was really good in her heel role in NXT, and I can't help but feel she's been miscast. Maybe she'll grow on me. 

• Paid Members

Jimmy Uso has the best job in the world. Everyone else has got to struggle to keep a straight face any time Sami Zayn is being hilarious, yet Jimmy can stand there smiling from ear to ear. What a gig.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I don't mind Gallows and Anderson coming in if we get some nice 6 man brawls with Judgement Day, because I usually always enjoy that. After that I'm not really bothered.

The US title match was stupid and they need to stop doing stuff like this in wrestling, it makes no sense having someone attacked and then not throwing the subsequent match out. There doesn't seem much of a point in a Lesnar vs Lashley feud and does this mean Lesnar is a heel again now? Knackers to that.

Theory losing again, as well. Just take the briefcase off him now because I'm not sure how you build him up quick enough after this for him to be a creditable world title challenger. Plus he lost to Johnny Gargano and there's no coming back from that.

Almost the whole show was booked badly but they're allowed a week off.