The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

Poor Trips, though, if this is all going to come down on him. You die a hero or live long enough to become the villain. He builds a brand that a niche of fans love, based on tidying up some of the best independent talent in the current wrestling scene. Then one by one, he sees every one that he had faith in shunted onto the main show conveyor belt with no hook and buried in hours of 'content creation'.

I'm not suggesting HHH is some kind of dedicated mentor with a deep artistic vision, but the last few years has clearly demonstrated that whatever they're training guys to do in development is NOT preparing them for the main roster. Whatever brief he had when he was given NXT to work on, it isn't in line with the requirements of the business up top, and it's selling the PC talent short. It's no good building to 30-40 minutes 'epics' if your guys are only going to have 5-10 minutes to get over.

This is an observation based on no checking of timings, current personnel or anything else, but it's starting to feel like Bloom and Regal were the guys to get that level of talent ready, as in ready for the bottom of the main card, and quality output has been in steady decline since HBK took the reins.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

I'm not suggesting HHH is some kind of dedicated mentor with a deep artistic vision

I think if anything it's largely the opposite. NXT under Triple H was when it really started to become "The Indie Darling Show", far more than a developmental project. While you can point to success stories who reinvented themselves under NXT pre-Triple H, it's much harder since it became his show. How much credit can you give Triple H for Samoa Joe, Shinsuke Nakamura or Adam Cole, for example, all experienced wrestlers doing more or less the same schtick they were doing elsewhere before coming to NXT?

FCW/NXT under Dusty felt a lot more like a show where talent were encouraged to try out new gimmicks and ideas, and just to throw shit at the wall as they should be doing at this stage of their career. Under Triple H it became much more about taking names already established with "indie cred" and bringing them in with minimal change or polish to what they were doing before NXT. On some level, that was probably his remit, as it's in line with NXT growing into a live, touring brand and less of a developmental territory - I think what we're seeing now is a gradual abandonment of that model, and a return to NXT as purely a developmental brand again. 

Goldberg and John Cena made me investigate the YouTube clips this week and it was cool to see some star power return.

It led me to watching the Charlotte Flair Rhea Ripley fued. Holy shit these two are fucking INCREDIBLE wrestlers. They look like stars, they talk like stars and holy fuck they know how to work and sell in the ring!

Becky Lynch, Ronda Rousey, Charlotte Flair and Rhea Ripley must be the biggest drawing new talent these days by an absolute fucking mile. I would pay to watch them. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

It led me to watching the Charlotte Flair Rhea Ripley fued. Holy shit these two are fucking INCREDIBLE wrestlers. They look like stars, they talk like stars and holy fuck they know how to work and sell in the ring!

That's some take. They had a good match at the PPV but from what I've seen and heard, their feud(s) have been absolutely horrible. Two completely unlikeable characters exchanging primary school insults. Charlotte talks well but they write awful stuff for her. Ripley doesn't and they still do.

24 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

Becky Lynch, Ronda Rousey, Charlotte Flair and Rhea Ripley must be the biggest drawing new talent these days by an absolute fucking mile.

That looks like one of those WWE.com articles. Top 4 WWE Superstars of all time: 1. Steve Austin. 2. The Rock. 3. John Cena. 4. Mideon.

Going back to an earlier post about how Cena and Batista got over, one of the biggest issues with making stars is trying to force people over rather than capitalising properly on someone getting over.

If they capitalise on it, they absolutely fucking shove it down our throats till you’re sick of it or they just beat the wrestler till no one is bothered any more because they didn’t want that person over. There’s no middle ground and the wrong decision is almost always made.

I am in absolutely no way saying these guys would ever have been stars but just look at the mess they made of Fandango and Adam Rose when the fans were getting behind the gimmicks. Then there’s the ones they were too stubborn to do - Cesaro after his Andre win looked boss and fans were going nuts for him, turned him heel. Strowman was getting big reactions but they beat him. Ryback is probably the biggest fuck up when I think of this. Then when they finally decided to embrace these guys, fans were over it.

Again, not saying these guys had any right to be stars but it’s a constant failure as they haven’t a fucking clue how to capitalise. The writers and the boss are fucking hopeless in the modern world.

• Paid Members

Ricochet is going to be fuming that there is someone else doing flippy stuff. The whole segment was just a showcase for ol' Reg, but other than the fall after the back flip, the guy is unbelievable in what he can do. How that would translate to an actual match, is yet to be seen.

• Paid Members

I know we've all said it and I know we all still tune in occasionally but RAW is abysmal. I honestly don't know how this pans out in the long run for them because the talent can't be happy surely? For the amount of money spent on (and the physical numbers of) writers they cannot book a single, logical, meaningful feud. 

The best wrestler on the roster is STILL waving a fake sword about for absolutely no reason, Nikki got made to look like an absolute like a nobody by Charlotte and instead of the RR/Goldberg 'spear vs spear' story planned for Wrestlemania, it's been resurrected for Lashley/Goldberg instead. 

There's absolutely no long term thinking or story arc, no subtleties at all and no bright prospects amongst the roster as everyone has either been around forever or are tainted by the rubbish booking.

I have no idea why I try to watch the highlights and for that reason, I'm taking a break from RAW altogether. There's nothing that could happen that would reinvigorate the show or draw viewers. Even Lesnar returning would only be interesting if he went to SD. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

The best wrestler on the roster is STILL waving a fake sword about for absolutely no reason

How would we know Drew was Scottish if he didn't wear a kilt and carry a sword though??

The sound doctoring is infuriating. I watched the first five minutes of the show and tuned out. Just long enough to hear a completely fake undercurrent of boos during MVPs promo, doctored audio for reactions, some real chants trying to break through, just a mess. You can't watch this for a second without being slapped in the face that it's completely inauthentic.