Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
14 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

The worst thing about RAW is that you can miss it in between PPVs. There's absolutely no reason why you need to tune in every week at all.

This for me.  Since first getting Sky in 2002 I've watched Raw and Smackdown every week, apart from a five month blip in 2007 when I started university, and another month or two in 2020 when they were still stuck in the PC just before the Thunderdome.

But I've gave up on both Raw (and later Smackdown) post Wrestlemania this year (for the same reasons as many), and only watch PPVs now.  And watching those PPVs I don't feel like I'm missing anything, as all the important events of a feud seem to be comfortably covered in the usually excellent pre-match packages.

Posted
9 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

This. I cannot understand why the champion should lose in the run up to the PPV. The champion should lose the belt when they are beaten in a title match. Otherwise part of the illusion is ruined. 

One thing AEW does brilliantly and that I loved in the late 80s/early 90s WWE is the clearly established levels - you know who is heavyweight title material, who is mid card title level and such and the feuds were always built (or mostly built) on earning the spot. 

 

But isn't the whole "pinning the champion non title to get a title match" something that's been around? I'm sure a lot of Flair's NWA World Title challengers were decided in that fashion.

The whole idea is that you present someone who is capable of pinning the champion, thus the threat is established.

  • Paid Members
Posted
5 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

But isn't the whole "pinning the champion non title to get a title match" something that's been around? I'm sure a lot of Flair's NWA World Title challengers were decided in that fashion.

The whole idea is that you present someone who is capable of pinning the champion, thus the threat is established.

It's not a brand new concept but it used to very rare and now it's a near weekly occurrence. Back in that period, it was more likely they'd establish the challenger could beat the champion but they'd escape by DQ or countout, or a time limit draw, either leading to rematches with a stip attached, often escalating or just boostinga local promotion's guy for their regular business. It was still rare for the champion to be getting pinned without losing the belt. 

Posted
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

It's not a brand new concept but it used to very rare and now it's a near weekly occurrence. Back in that period, it was more likely they'd establish the challenger could beat the champion but they'd escape by DQ or countout, or a time limit draw, either leading to rematches with a stip attached, often escalating or just boostinga local promotion's guy for their regular business. It was still rare for the champion to be getting pinned without losing the belt. 

Cheers for more context.

Regardless I do agree it's waaaaaayyyyyyy over done on current WWE tv. 

I feel AEW has a better balance with their World Championship Elimination matches. From memory I think only one team won a World Championship Elimination match. 

Posted

A report from Cassidy Haynes of Bodyslam.net reveals WWE officials are very concerned that SummerSlam 2021 at the Allegiant Stadium will outright be canceled due to the rise in COVID-19 cases.

The worry is that there will be a ban on mass gatherings in the next couple of weeks with masks currently already required for fans attending events at Allegiant Stadium. 

If a mass gathering ban is reintroduced, it will mean WWE could be forced back to venues with limited or no fans, possibly even the return of the WWE Thunderdome setup.

"While speaking with sources within WWE, I was told that internally WWE expects that they will have to return to the Performance Center, or another venue for their ThunderDome setup within a couple of weeks" said Haynes.

WWE and AEW have been working on contingency plans recently as they feel touring might become more difficult in the weeks and months ahead.

Posted
25 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Regardless I do agree it's waaaaaayyyyyyy over done on current WWE tv. 

Unfortunately that goes for like 90% of what they do, not just the one thing you've mentioned here. Everything's overdone in WWE. Rematches, dodgy finishes etc. Those things that don't matter too much when they're done once in a while just end up getting done all the time.

  • Paid Members
Posted
3 hours ago, Nimrod Falcon said:

Cassidy Haynes of Bodyslam.net

Who is that? Anyone with credibility or your usual wrestling newz bullshitter?

Posted
On 8/4/2021 at 10:07 AM, Suplex Sinner said:

... you can be an incredible footballer but a shocking manager? HBK is one of the greatest wrestlers of all time (in my opinion) but a lot of the matches that the newz sites credit him with putting together have been terrible.

 

I've always felt Road "Wins and Losses Don't Matter" Dogg fell into this category. I don't think there's been another major wrestler I know that I regularly disagree with on wrestling psychology.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

This is potentially interesting. The actual video is fucking tragic stuff but the outcome being a different Elias has potential, he's pretty good.

I only read a quick recap of the show. Sounded like most weeks, except Randy was back and he RKO'd Riddle.

Edit: Fucking hell!

 

Edited by tiger_rick

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...