VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

IMDB TV has launched as a free channel on Amazon with adverts. Haven't had a chance to look through much but might be a few things worth trying.

It’s like watching something on YouTube. 5 minutes in and had an advert, then there are another 6 ad breaks of a minute or so during a 2 hour film. I don’t think I’ll bother again Clive 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
On 9/6/2021 at 11:03 AM, BomberPat said:

Tombstone

A film that I realised I'd actually never seen, so found the time to watch on Disney+ the other night. I loved it, though I'd struggle to tell you why. It looked great, and Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer and Sam Elliott were all superb in it, but the pacing was all over the place, there's a tagged on romantic subplot that adds nothing, and there's a lot of nothing happening, but somehow it was still great. A film just absolutely carried by the performances of the main cast to make it something much better than it deserves.

I just had to watch this for a project. Like you, never saw it before but thought it was cracking. Beautifully shot, especially during the Thunderstorm and a fantastic cast. Can’t say I’ve seen much of Val Kilmer in his prime of the mid 80’s to mid 90’s, but thought he was excellent here and that Johnny Depp owes a lot to him for his acting style.

just watched Candyman (2021). Don’t get the hype. Thought the puppets were good, but found the film to not be scary and found the story to have an interesting concept which didn’t really get executed well. Really disappointed if I’m honest.

Watched a couple of things over the past few days. 

F.T.W (AKA The Last Ride) (1994)

Vehicle for Mickey Rourke, who co-wrote the story for the film. This is not too long after he proper self-destructed and he wasn't getting any decent leading roles. He plays a rodeo cowboy called Frank T. Wells who gets out of jail after serving time for manslaughter (actually self-defense, of course) and meets a troubled bank robber on the run (Lori Singer), who just happens to have FTW tattooed on her hand. 

It's not a great film but I liked bits of it. Rourke and his weird face are good in it, as is Singer. I love any sort of contemporary crime/thriller/noir with a western bent to it, so I appreciated the setting and iconography of it. Plus, Lucinda Williams pops up halfway through to perform a song, so there's that. 

Songwriter

Willie Nelson and Kris Kristofferson are singing partners, but aren't making much money, so Nelson decides to become a record label mogul, but he's gullible and signs a shitty deal he needs to get out of. 

This is a bit all over the place and nothing much of consequence happens. It's basically about life on the road and the machanations of the country music businesses in Austin and Nashville. The music is, of course, great and the Highwaymen are enjoyable to watch. 

• Paid Members

No Time To Die is just pretty poor. It’s no Quantum of Solice, but some well shot set pieces are ruined by a ridiculous story co-written by Fleabag. Still

Spoiler

I’m hopeful it gives Piers Morgan a heart attack

My mother in law, a bigger Bond fan then me loved it. I was just disappointed.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Found out that BBC iPlayer has some well known and lesser known films on it permanently (afaik), scrolled through as I was looking for some horror movies with it being that time of the year. They have the original The Thing from 1951, the original King Kong, Night of the Living Dead and Hitchcock's Suspicion but what really caught my eye were a couple of RKO produced films from the 40s

Cat People - Been wanting to check this and it's 80's remake for a long time, the Criterion release is a bit hard to get so finding it on here was great. The plot is about a woman convinced she is a descendant of a tribe of cat like people and that if aroused will turn into a panther and how her husband and others are convinced she has mental issues. Its ok for the time it's from but not something I'd be in a rush to repeat view

I Walked With A Zombie - this was a strange film, it centres around a nurse caring for a plantation owner's wife on the island of Saint Sebastian, home to both a small white community and descendants of slavery. What follows is a tale of adultery, voodoo and cultism but not so much zombie action, though the makeup effects on the 'zombies' was really good. It was ultimately another example of Hollywood not really getting the notion of Zombies right until George A. Romero came along 25 years later

• Awards Moderator

Yeah, they put a bunch of films from the 30s to the 50s on during the first lockdown and have just kept them on there. I regularly check iPlayer to see what films are on there - more often than not there’ll be something classic or well-known I’ve never seen that you’d never find on the other streamers.

The Many Saints of Newark

It’s a bit of a weird one this. As a stand alone story it’s fine if a little rudderless and as a prequel to the best tv series of all time it’s good but can’t live up to the impossibly high standards set. Really it belongs as a 6 part mini series on a streaming network because at times it does feel a bit ‘tv special’ just a really good tv special. Not sure if it’s just me but Vera Farmiga playing Livia bears a fair passing resemblance to Carmella and captures Livia’s madness really well. So Tony eventually chooses a woman who looks a bit like his mum, makes sense.    

Young Gandolfini is uncanny, it’s actually really sad given the circumstances of his dad’s death and him being the one to find him in real life watching him portray him so impeccably. Even though it’s a small part in this he’s definitely one I’ll be watching out for.

Couple of odd decisions that stood out were 

Spoiler

Michael Imperiolli doing the voice over and framing it as Tony’s story

And

Spoiler

Ray Liotta x2

Edited by Mr_Danger

The Many Saints Of Newark 

A very, very bad film. 

I love The Sopranos more than anything, and this makes no difference to that (like you see people say Prometheus 'ruined' Alien...eh?) and doesn't change anything, but it's just poor.

The performances of all the Soprano crew are spot on, but once you get over that initial pop, there's no substance at all. It's also really badly written, which was a real surprise.

Also, Dickie Moltisanti REALLY looked like Richie Aprile and that set me off thinking about the leather jacket so I laughed through most of it.

Also, I agree with Uncle Junior now. Tony never had the makings of a varsity athlete. 

Also, 

Spoiler

Silvio was nearer to Dickie and Johnny Boys age...I thought he was only a couple of years older than Tony?

The Edge Of Seventeen (again)

Still probably my favourite film of the last 10 years or so.

Free Guy

Absolute shit.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The performances of all the Soprano crew are spot on, but once you get over that initial pop, there's no substance at all. It's also really badly written, which was a real surprise.

Also, Dickie Moltisanti REALLY looked like Richie Aprile and that set me off thinking about the leather jacket so I laughed through most of it.

The portrayal of Silvio was just so cartoonish it took me out completely. Like he’d been told to do an over the top impression. It reminded me of the SNL sketch of The Sopranos.

I also thought Dickie was Richie every time he showed up on screen.

Also,

Spoiler

Silvio is supposed to be around Tony’s age. Because Ralph told Jackie Jr that he was meant to go with Tony, Jackie Sr and Silvio to take down Feechs card game as they were a young crew together. The robbery that got those 3 made. David Chase forgot his own stuff possibly. 

Michael Gandolfini did some great Tony mannerisms during his short time on screen. But the young Tony stole the show when he shouted “I already apologised” in typical Tony style when he’s having a strop. Fantastic stuff. 

The uncle junior stuff was pure fan service. 

Free Guy

If I’d paid to see this in cinemas I’d have been immensely disappointed (wasn’t it meant to have been a Netflix release last year?) but as I watched it on Disney+ I was only very disappointed.

The first 15 minutes feel like a strange hybrid of The Lego Movie and They Live and it swung & missed on both accounts. Your also given very little reason to care about any of the lead characters.

A couple of funny background jokes early on and some minor chuckles towards the end, but you’d be better watching or doing pretty much anything else with your time

Edited by WyattSheepMask

I watched Free Guy yesterday and really enjoyed it! Thought the cast all gave top performances and there was enough charm and warmth to it. 

Also watched The Secret Of Marrowbone which was a perfectly acceptable horror/thriller. Not great but not shit, like a Greggs sausage roll.